•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are Primaluce Eagle Power Adaptors Proprietary

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AJ132

AJ132

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

I am looking at the Primaluce Eagle Control Unit for my imaging rig. I am currently using a rig runner to power all my gear and a separate PC that sits on my OTA. I like the idea of being able to get rid of the rig runner and separate PC and use the Eagle as my power hub in addition to a PC as I am running out of space on top of the OTA.

However, it appears Primaluce want you to buy separate power cables for each device at around $45 each. Does anyone know if the power plugs on the Eagle are proprietary or can I purchase generic plugs that I can then add Anderson PowerPole connectors to so I can use my existing power cables? The other benefit of being able to use generic connectors is that I can customize the length of each cable so I don't have a bunch of excess cable to deal with.

If anyone who is familiar with the Eagle Control Unit can answer if the power plugs are proprietary that would be helpful. 

Thanks for the info.

Andrew J

• HDV likes this

#2 gdechaine

gdechaine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

I realize you posted this several months ago with no replies however I wanted to see if you found out what type of cables were used for the eagle control unit And where the connectors could be purchased.    I am  planning to purchase the new eagle 2 pro and if I can build my own cables I can reduce some of the costs for the unit considerably  and spend those funds elsewhere. 

Did you wind up purchasing the eagle for yourself and if so did you have any bad experiences with it?   I read the reviews but it would be nice to hear from someone directly about their experiences with the unit. I think it’s a great idea and has the potential to really improve ones set up as long as It’s features were implemented properly?

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

Looking from far away (not so detailed picture) it looks like a flavor of twinax power connector

Example of the entire product line in a similar flavor:

http://www.mouser.co..._III-357336.pdf

#4 donlism

donlism

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

What an extraordinary quantity of money for that thing...  confused1.gif

#5 Alex Ranous

Alex Ranous

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Ok, I splurged on one of these and purchased a single connector for $20.  Once I got it and took some measurements, I determined they're using M12 metric circular connectors, 3 pin with A coding.  They're using the female connector for the 8 amp connections, and the male one for the 3 amp connections.  Less than $4 each.  Here are the mouser catalog pages for them.  These are screw terminated, so you don't have to deal with soldering the cables.

https://www.mouser.c...YYT5RyBSbvA5A==

https://www.mouser.c...R0O%2bFMxQQLw==

• StephenOTT and Astroscrub like this

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

Another possible idea

Please go to fleaBay and search "GX12".  These are (pseudo) aviation plugs/sockets.
They have various sizes (12mm  -- as in GX12, 16mm, and 20mm) and various number of connector pins
(from 2-pin all the way to 9-pin, if larger size GX20 is used.)

Price is very good if you compare more sources.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 Astroscrub

Astroscrub

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas,Tx

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

Ok, I splurged on one of these and purchased a single connector for $20.  Once I got it and took some measurements, I determined they're using M12 metric circular connectors, 3 pin with A coding.  They're using the female connector for the 8 amp connections, and the male one for the 3 amp connections.  Less than $4 each.  Here are the mouser catalog pages for them.  These are screw terminated, so you don't have to deal with soldering the cables.

Thanks Alex, I just ordered an Eagle and some of those connectors. I will be trying them out soon. waytogo.gif

#8 Aerostar90509

Aerostar90509

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

Caution this is the wrong connector for the 3 amp output jacks.

The above connector has the same outside threads as the 8 amp output jacks.

I got it stuck while trying to put it into the 3 amp jack, I had to use 2 set of pliers to get it free.

It appears that the inside threads of the 3 amp jacks are a different pitch than the 8 amp jacks.

I will do some more investigating to attempt to find the correct part number.

This part number is back ordered till October. 

Tim

Toccoa, Ga

#9 duoglide98

duoglide98

Explorer 1

• Loc: NH

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hi, 

I have the 3 pin connectors and was wondering which wire goes where.

In other words the wiring diagram.

Thanks 

John

#10 sayitfast

sayitfast

Explorer 1

• Loc: Marana Arizona

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hi, 

I have the 3 pin connectors and was wondering which wire goes where.

In other words the wiring diagram.

Thanks 

John

Hello,

Were you able to figure out the pin out? 

Thanks!

#11 Alex Ranous

Alex Ranous

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

This is the pinouts I got from Primalucelab:

attachment=1164436:Cavi x Eagle.jpeg]

Attached Thumbnails

• Cavi x Eagle.jpeg

#12 Glenn Edens

Glenn Edens

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

Not sure about my etiquette here, I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread.  Does anyone know what connector is used for the 12VDC power INPUT to the Eagle?

Thank you, Glenn

Edited by Glenn Edens, 05 April 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#13 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:08 AM

If trying to save money, why stop at the cables?

One can buy two Intel i5 NUCs with Iris Plus Graphics, a remote control mouse/keyboard and UHD monitor and build a complete, wholly reliable wireless remote controlled EAA/AP scope/camera controller capable of running the highest resolution astro-camera in glorious 'end to end' full 4k UHD for a quarter of the price of the Eagle3 Pro with cables + Laptop.

These devices are incredibly expensive and DIY systems are so easy to construct. Their only advantages of these units are cable management between devices, but that isn't insurmountable using DIY solutions. There is loads of discussion about solutions in the EAA Forum.

Edited by Noah4x4, 06 April 2019 - 01:09 AM.

• gregj888 likes this

#14 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

I sold my Eagle2, so no longer have the actual plugs. I bought a bunch of excellent connectors from Mouser Electronics and made my own cables from them. The Mouser parts are screw terminated, so no soldering needed. 

Here are links to the Mouser parts:

https://www.mouser.c...0O%2bFMxQQLw== 

I really liked the Eagle. It is true that you can DIY the same functionality, but this is an excellent, elegant, compact solution that combines computing, power distribution, dew heater, and USB distribution in one sturdy little box that rides easily on top of your scope.

I have since moved on to through-the-mount cabling and now just run everything from the ground, but compared to the amount of money some people spend on scopes, camera, mounts, etc the extra money for the Eagle is really not so bad. Maybe less than 5% extra on your whole setup. 

Not sure about my etiquette here, I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread.  Does anyone know what connector is used for the 12VDC power INPUT to the Eagle?

Thank you, Glenn

#15 dhormann

dhormann

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hillsboro, OR

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

The M12 plugs listed (A Spec) are only rated for 4 amps.  I wonder if you shouldn’t use the S Spec plugs that are rated for the full output of the 8 amp power out sockets?

#16 MLM

MLM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Silver Spring MD USA

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

The M12 plugs listed (A Spec) are only rated for 4 amps.  I wonder if you shouldn’t use the S Spec plugs that are rated for the full output of the 8 amp power out sockets?

Doug,

Do you have the mouser part links for the 8 Amp rated connectors?

Thanks

#17 medderx

medderx

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 July 2021 - 01:46 PM

As a update for future readers. I picked up the above mentioned ones from mouser to use with my Eagle 4. They work in terms of being the correct connector, however the grip on the threaded piece needs to be ground down on one side because it is too large of a diameter for the spacing between jacks. 

Attached Thumbnails

• E80564C7-F923-465B-A6C0-50903DA0A2B6.jpeg
  • 787ADBD5-EF1F-4CAC-919E-F171F08336AE.jpeg

Edited by medderx, 14 July 2021 - 01:49 PM.

• StephenOTT likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics