•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show your eclipse setup!

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#26 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

It all depends on your camera and its speed capability v F range of lens, so for instance a Nikon D500 can be set to iso 100 can do effectively iso 50 (low-1) so at F3.8 (round to 4) on the set up shown a bracket series ought to be able to capture C2 and at 10 fps I figure I shoot off 20-30 shots observing C2, and then the camera writes while I adjust iso to 640 for the corona, shoot a couple hundred bracket images, and if I am nimble enough go back to iso 100 at the end. The D500 will do 1/8000th so 10 fps fits the time well. Xavier Jubier's web site is indeed great for planning. That is the current plan for me, needs practice to see if it works. At 640 the exposures are in a great range for the corona -  A lot of thought needs to go into planning those 1-2 minutes, no redo until 2019 (maybe) !

This set is from Svalbard ISO 800, F6.3 using a nikon F4 300 mm and 1.4X teleconverter (420 mm) on a stationary tripod , the Vixen set up will be a stop faster, and 570 mm equiv.) 

Attached Files

• LesB, REC and foxwoodastronomy like this

#27 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

Steve,

Beautiful.  I absolutely love it!  A picture is worth a thousand words!  Thanks for posting it.  You are right on target.

Your picture confirms some things about your setup and also the things I say in my talk.

1.  You image looks close to the scale of 1350mm.  It actually looks a little bigger to me, and that may have to do with your plane of focus on your rig.  But is looks great!  I know that is the scale you want to have.

2.  The SolarLite, as far as I understand was supposed to have transmission characteristics like their glass and from your image and your data I think that is true.

3.  I really like your exposure at 1/400.  The thing that interests me about it is the fact that I usually lecture to have the full Sun disk image a little more yellow that what I am seeing on my computer screens via your posting.  It maybe more yellow for you at home.  So I wonder what your 1/320 looks like?  Whatever, your image re-enforces one of the things in my talk and something that you have also figured out.  For any given system using a Thousand Oaks filter, the exposure of a bight yellow Sun disk image is very close to the exposure of mid corona.

4.  I am actually surprised you system is not faster than that, meaning needing even a faster shutter speed for the full Sun disk image.  Doesn't matter, you exposure is a good test for the light passing through your rig.  So the photography math works, at f4 you are about 3 stops faster then my favorite 1000mm setup (f12.3) and at 1/400 your shutter speed is about 3 stops faster shutter speed than I would usually use (1/60 for Sun disk).  It just validates the stuff I talk about.

5.  So you mid corona exposures will be right at about 1/320, you will have to be about 2 stops faster than that for the tight inner corona and chromosphere.

6.  Beads and diamond ring need to be 4 or 5 stops faster than the mid corona exposure.  So your 1/4000 plan is sound.

Love your plan man.  You are going to do great!  Thanks again for posting the picture and all the data.

Gordon

I should mention here, that I am also a member of the Eclipse Megamovie team and I've watched Fred Espenak's talks for quite a while. And yours as well. 

• foxwoodastronomy likes this

#28 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Steve,

This is gong to be fun!  Pray for clear weather of everyone.

Gordon

• SteveRosenow likes this

#29 corduroy

corduroy

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hello, I will be using my AT72, 70D, Baader filter on an ZEQ25 mount to image the eclipse using eclipse orchestrator.  I will also have a C8Edge with solar filter but do not plan to use that much during the day.

Since I will be camping at the 5 day Solarfest in Madras I will be using a LiFePo4 100 Amhr battery pack and recharging with 180W solar panels from Bioenno power.

This is my setup, minus the dew controller & guide scope/cam obviously for daytime.

Attached File  16antqh.jpg   208.43KB   1 downloads

2ep501j.jpg

Edited by nmoushon, 15 August 2017 - 03:33 PM.

• FXM and foxwoodastronomy like this

#30 corduroy

corduroy

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

@emh52,   what bracket exposures do you plan to use during totality with your fish eye?   I am probably going to do the same with a Rokinon 14mm on an old 30D Canon.

#31 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Matt

I will probably start -1 with a 9 stop bracket on an older Nikon D800 with the camera on a tripod, with a 8 mm fisheye (Sigma) the Sun will be tiny but I can in theory get a great shot of the shadow. I need to test this more on the Moon at night-  using the Moon and a lunar halo photograph as a model it ought to work. ISO, maybe try something like 400 or so.

see

https://flic.kr/p/Q2VJa6

https://flic.kr/p/PSkFCq

I plan on starting the interval timer early maybe a few minutes before C2 as I doubt the tiny Sun will damage the camera, and take 9 brackets every 15 seconds to give the camera time to write. Hope for the best. With all the images in RAW I have more leeway to play with. I will hope that I can see the shadow, sun , venus and jupiter in it. I do a lot of meteor photography with the fisheye but then the exposures are long and manual, these will be much shorter and might just to do auto/bracket and let the camera decide as there is no time to fiddle with it. 

With 9 images I can HDR the lot and see if that improves the shadow.

that is quite a set up you have for the eclipse ! 

eliot

#32 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

This image also shows the FOV on APS-C scale (in blue): http://www.mreclipse...35mmScale1w.JPG

Nice comparison, film or full frame DSLR vs APS DSLR. This shot was taken in 1998 using a film SLR with a 1200mm lens.

Attached Files

• AUricle likes this

#33 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Regarding selection of either reducers or extenders (barlows) on a telescope.......these components are much closer to the focal plane of the camera and hence the focal point of the solar image. No big deal during totality but what about during the 20 to 30 seconds prior to C-2? Is there any risk to these components at this time.?

Note - will post a photo of my setup within the next few days.

Barry Simon

#34 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

Ok, as promised here is my rig.  It is mounted on a Celestron AVX equatorial which can handle everything with just one counterweight.  (In fact all 4 in my group will be using AVX mounts).

As pictured the rig holds a University Optics 80 mm f/6.25 (500 mm fl achromat).  I do have some question as to whether or not an achromat will be ok for photographing the corona in respect to chromatic aberration.  I could use an ExploreScientific 80 mm triplet but that is a heavier component;  anyone care to comment about an achromat for capturing a total eclipse..  The smaller middle camera is my Canon SX 260.  It will shoot a video of the crowd and horizon during totality.  It will be mounted on a similar rig that you see pictured to the right so that it can be leveled and properly positioned.  The camera to the right will use the 10-24 mm zoom at 10 mm to capture horizon to the Sun images during totality.  The video will run once activated and the two DSLR's will be triggered via remote releases.

The rifle scope will be fitted with a solar filter.  It will serve as a finder and alignment aid.

This setup may be tweaked slightly.  The aluminum bar is 22 inches long by 3/4" thick by 2" wide.  1/4-20 holes, with a few then drilled out, are spaced every inch.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

• FXM likes this

#35 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

Ok, as promised here is my rig.  It is mounted on a Celestron AVX equatorial which can handle everything with just one counterweight.  (In fact all 4 in my group will be using AVX mounts).

As pictured the rig holds a University Optics 80 mm f/6.25 (500 mm fl achromat).  I do have some question as to whether or not an achromat will be ok for photographing the corona in respect to chromatic aberration.  I could use an ExploreScientific 80 mm triplet but that is a heavier component;  anyone care to comment about an achromat for capturing a total eclipse..  The smaller middle camera is my Canon SX 260.  It will shoot a video of the crowd and horizon during totality.  It will be mounted on a similar rig that you see pictured to the right so that it can be leveled and properly positioned.  The camera to the right will use the 10-24 mm zoom at 10 mm to capture horizon to the Sun images during totality.  The video will run once activated and the two DSLR's will be triggered via remote releases.

The rifle scope will be fitted with a solar filter.  It will serve as a finder and alignment aid.

This setup may be tweaked slightly.  The aluminum bar is 22 inches long by 3/4" thick by 2" wide.  1/4-20 holes, with a few then drilled out, are spaced every inch.

Barry Simon

Wow, that's quite the rig! You going to be able to get the horzion and the Sun up at 62*?  Will the SX 260 video be running before the totality as well?

Clear skies!

#36 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Ok, as promised here is my rig.  It is mounted on a Celestron AVX equatorial which can handle everything with just one counterweight.  (In fact all 4 in my group will be using AVX mounts).........

Wow, that's quite the rig! You going to be able to get the horzion and the Sun up at 62*?  Will the SX 260 video be running before the totality as well?

Clear skies!

Yes, I have tested and the 10-24 Tamron has enough reach to grab both the horizon and the Sun.  It will be put into play by removing a black cloth just after C2 starts.  That camera is on a pivoting Bogen (Manfrotto) head on the bar so I can correctly align the camera with the horizon.  Equatorial movement over 2.5 minutes is not enough to change the orientation significantly plus I can always straighten and crop.

The smaller SX260 will be optically zoomed and will be aimed at the Sun.  It too will not be uncovered until after the beginning of totality.  I have another Canon 20D body which I may throw into the mix.  I may have it set up with an intervolometer so that I can put together a time lapse.  Maybe a photo every 10 seconds or so over an hour centered on totality.  It will be independently mounted.  I will be practicing a lot because there are so many balls to juggle.  Everything will be automated as I want to enjoy the eclipse without my eyes behind a camera.

Here are some more images of my setup.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

• FXM likes this

#37 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Ok, as promised here is my rig.  It is mounted on a Celestron AVX equatorial which can handle everything with just one counterweight.  (In fact all 4 in my group will be using AVX mounts).........

Clear skies!

Yes, I have tested and the 10-24 Tamron has enough reach to grab both the horizon and the Sun.  It will be put into play by removing a black cloth just after C2 starts.  That camera is on a pivoting Bogen (Manfrotto) head on the bar so I can correctly align the camera with the horizon.  Equatorial movement over 2.5 minutes is not enough to change the orientation significantly plus I can always straighten and crop.

The smaller SX260 will be optically zoomed and will be aimed at the Sun.  It too will not be uncovered until after the beginning of totality.  I have another Canon 20D body which I may throw into the mix.  I may have it set up with an intervolometer so that I can put together a time lapse.  Maybe a photo every 10 seconds or so over an hour centered on totality.  It will be independently mounted.  I will be practicing a lot because there are so many balls to juggle.  Everything will be automated as I want to enjoy the eclipse without my eyes behind a camera.

Here are some more images of my setup.

Barry Simon

Really well thought out! I was going to bring a small camcorder that has a 5x zoom to just record the crowd around me, as the zoom is not long enough to capture the sun so well. But, after reading your post, I have a bunch of point n shoot cameras that have longer zooms and have a HD movie mode, so I'll have to work one of them into the mix. I suppose I can figure out what zoom setting would be on the next moon cycle. Only thing is, not sure how it will do in low light as it cannot be adjusted, maybe just the ISO?

#38 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

Very interesting reading here. Glad to see what else is going on out there & seems you all know how and what to do. I am new to astronomy, but not photography.

Sorry to butt in, & without a photo of my setup as is not complete yet. If this is the wrong place to post, kick me out.

I came here to ask for advice as I wasn't getting anywhere or was on info overload just trying to do my own research. I want 1 camera on long glass and one a wide field.

Here is where I am currently:

Manfrotto 055xpro3

Sky Watcher Star Adventurer (delivery tomorrow, June 16)

1 EOS 450D (stills only)

1 EOS 500D (video capable)

Looking for lenses, but need to be mindful of total payload.

Options - Already own some cheap glass: old off-brand 300mm f5.5 & 400mm f6.3 manual lenses, newer 50mm f1.8 Canon AF IS & Canon AF IS 50-250 zoom + cheap Nexstar 80.

Questions on possible purchases: Williams Optic Zenithstar 71 Doublet ED or a Canon EF/ L lens (zoom or not?)

I have been playing w/ SETnC, and familiar w/ Stellarium and Cartes de Sol.

Can anyone offer advice, experience & help?

I will also be needing help to track the sun, but I may have answers coming from other forums....

Attached Files

Edited by TikiTom, 15 June 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#39 Drew57

Drew57

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Secondary unit (minus the objective solar filter which is under construction).

Celestron C90 MAK with Williams Optics 90o prism & Tele Vue 32mm Plossl; on Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head with twin handles, atop a Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber/magnesium tripod; on the magic arm an Olympus TG-4 camera.

Attached File  solarB.jpg   216.72KB   3 downloads

• FXM and SpaceConqueror3 like this

#40 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

Cool rigs everyone!  I totally love the mini wood tripod in the OP.  cool.gif

I don't have pics yet but my rig is pretty simple.  I will be shooting with an Olympus M4/3 camera with a pre-programmed time lapse plan.  The lens is a Panasonic tele with effective focal length of 600mm.  The imaging rig is mounted on a Nexstar SLT for tracking with a heavy water bottle as a stabilizer.  We will also be shooting GoPro vids of the spectacle on the ground.  For visual I will have 8x56 binos and my C90 on a photo tripod to get a closer look.

Let's do this!!! 

• REC likes this

#41 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Cool rigs everyone!  I totally love the mini wood tripod in the OP.  cool.gif

I don't have pics yet but my rig is pretty simple.  I will be shooting with an Olympus M4/3 camera with a pre-programmed time lapse plan.  The lens is a Panasonic tele with effective focal length of 600mm.  The imaging rig is mounted on a Nexstar SLT for tracking with a heavy water bottle as a stabilizer.  We will also be shooting GoPro vids of the spectacle on the ground.  For visual I will have 8x56 binos and my C90 on a photo tripod to get a closer look.

Let's do this!!! 

Don't forget to add your cool hat to your gear list lol.gif

• Cajundaddy likes this

#42 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

Definitely be wearing the hat.  It will probably be 95F that day.

#43 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

Well, I kinda live under the path so......

dogscopes.jpg

Got filters for two of the scopes... eyepiece on one and DSLR on the other. Third scope has too long a FL for the eclipse.

• FXM, REC, randalloverby and 1 other like this

#44 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Apart from the small automated photographic setup in the start post, I decided I also want to view the corona a little bit more detailed than with my 10x binoculars. Because everything has to be airline transportable I needed to build someting extremely lightweight. When a very cheap ETX-80 crossed my path I got the idea of modding this thing into a basic travelscope.

I got rid of nearly everything but the tube and the f/5 objective, put in a proper 2" Crayford focuser and made a simple wooden AZ mount. I reused the extremely lightweight ETX tripod, because it was just rigid enough for the little OTA. The whole thing including diagonal and Vixen LVW22 weighs just 7 pounds (a little over 3kg) 

Attached File  ETFIX1.jpg   286.41KB   4 downloads

Attached File  samen.jpg   126.62KB   3 downloads

Edited by Roel, 16 July 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• FXM, Vesper818, REC and 2 others like this

#45 dghundt

dghundt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hello, I will be using my AT72, 70D, Baader filter on an ZEQ25 mount to image the eclipse using eclipse orchestrator. I will also have a C8Edge with solar filter but do not plan to use that much during the day.

Since I will be camping at the 5 day Solarfest in Madras I will be using a LiFePo4 100 Amhr battery pack and recharging with 180W solar panels from Bioenno power.

This is my setup, minus the dew controller & guide scope/cam obviously for daytime.

16antqh.jpg

2ep501j.jpg

Pretty wild setup.
You think you'll need a dew controller for just the eclipse in the am?

Edited by dghundt, 16 July 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#46 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Here's my setup for group viewing.  PST on Orion TeleTrack alt-az tripod all riding a Round Table EQ Platform.

Not shown is the 12-volt battery that powers the powered alt-az head and the EQ platform.  Also not shown is the Meade digital EP, its 12-foot video cable, or the TV that will serve as a monitor.  I find a teenager that likes video games and make them run the fine tracking on the hand controller.cool.gif

(The EQ platform is completely hidden by my plywood adapter plate that has safety anchor rings for tripod feet and dob base feet.)

Attached Files

Edited by kfiscus, 19 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

• FXM, txmnjim, REC and 1 other like this

#47 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Here's an exploded view of the setup.

Attached Files

• FXM likes this

#48 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Very cool set up! You will be the hit of the party!

BTW, what size EP will you used in the PST?  I find the best cleanest view is from 12-16mm EP.

#49 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

Sorry but I am still confused.  This looks like an azimuth turntable platform.  How does it function as part of an EQ tracking mount? 

#50 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

The table top pivots east-to-west at 15 degrees per hour, giving over 30 minutes of tracking. (It doesn't spin like it would appear.)

EQ platforms were invented to drive dobs but they can drive other things, as well.

Edited by kfiscus, 19 July 2017 - 04:54 PM.

• Cajundaddy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics