•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show your eclipse setup!

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#51 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Here's an exploded view of the setup.

Very cool set up! You will be the hit of the party!

BTW, what size EP will you used in the PST?  I find the best cleanest view is from 12-16mm EP.

BTW, what size EP will you used in the PST?  I find the best cleanest view is from 12-16mm EP.

REC, I use an el cheapo Meade digital EP. It's about equivalent to a 4mm EP. It gives a nice, large, clear image. The bigger the monitor, the better.

#52 corduroy

corduroy

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hello, I will be using my AT72, 70D, Baader filter on an ZEQ25 mount to image the eclipse using eclipse orchestrator. I will also have a C8Edge with solar filter but do not plan to use that much during the day.

Since I will be camping at the 5 day Solarfest in Madras I will be using a LiFePo4 100 Amhr battery pack and recharging with 180W solar panels from Bioenno power.

This is my setup, minus the dew controller & guide scope/cam obviously for daytime.

16antqh.jpg

2ep501j.jpg

Pretty wild setup.
You think you'll need a dew controller for just the eclipse in the am?

No I won't need the dew controller for dew but it does display the temp and humidity do that would be cool to see how much the temp drops during totality.  it's a day and night rig that will remain setup at Solarfest.  Balance is tricky with side by side setups so once I get it balanced I don't want to make any changes.  Maybe just remove the autoguider and replace it with the solar finder.

• dghundt likes this

#53 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

Here's mine:

Attached Files

• FXM likes this

#54 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

And here's the Power Box to power everything:

Attached Files

• charotarguy likes this

#55 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

Well, one of my "gear" is a Meade 9x63 mounted on a mirror mount, called "Sky Window". You place it on a table and look down through the bino's at the reflected image. No worry about being steady!

Betcha I''m on of a very few in the county that will be using this kind of set-up. The company no longer make them. The name of the company was Trico mfg. Bought them in 1999.

Camera: Canon T2i Vivitar 600-1000mm zoom.

Scope, PST Celestron 80ED

REC,

I've been trying to figure out just how to build just such a rig.That's beautiful.

So...the binos are fixed.....and the mirror angle and az are adjustable?

#56 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

My tandem solar rig, PST sidesaddle to my TMB92L with white light filter on an ES Twilight mount.

Attached Files

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#57 Darel

Darel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

New to this site, located near Puyallup WA, about 25 miles south of Seattle.  

We're taking our Boy Scout Troop to Warm Springs OR (not far from Madras) for the eclipse event.  I dug out a classic orange Celestron C90 to bring along.  Have been reading up on filters, camera adapters and 'how-to'.  We've ordered dozens of inexpensive viewing glasses for the Scouts.   Seeing some photos of other folks rigs makes us look primitive ... but gotta start somewhere.

Still a bit confused / uncertain about what type of filter to use in front of the C90.  Should it be something that friction fits inside the front of the tube ?  Is a clamp over the outside of the tube better ?  And it appears that using some form of dew shield / sun shield helps improve contrast with this basic scope.

We're also considering attaching a digital camera to the viewfinder and simply feeding the image to a laptop or larger screen device so that a group of viewers can watch simultaneously.

Secondary question:  anyone familiar with the Australian made Univeral Wood Tripod with hydralok fluid head ?  I'm trying to learn how it works.  It uses thumb turn screws to tighten the vertical and horizontal movement.  The vertical appears to be worn or misadjusted ... as the tightening screw bottoms out and it fails to 'lock' the head from further movement.  

Thoughts ?  Suggestions ?  Recommendations ?

Thanks to all who provide information.

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#58 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

REC, I use an el cheapo Meade digital EP. It's about equivalent to a 4mm EP. It gives a nice, large, clear image. The bigger the monitor, the better.

Huh, I have that EP and hardly use it. Never thought about for the sun. I'm not sure it even works, check it out, thanks!

• kfiscus likes this

#59 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

10" F/4.5 Newtonian with a Thousand Oaks filter in front. A knuckle buster 3 axis tripod head added for the video camera since this image was taken in Page, AZ in 2002 during the annular eclipse.  

Attached File  P5200118_Glen_scope_sm.jpg   145.59KB   4 downloads

Annular.

Attached File  P5200207_mid-Eclipse_sm.jpg   42.72KB   4 downloads

Joe

• FXM, Vesper818, REC and 3 others like this

#60 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Viking 1

• Loc: Bolingbrook, Illinois

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

Been testing mine today. Apogee 4 inch for visual, Orion ED80 w/ Canon 6D and Canon T3i w/ 250mm lens on an Atlas GEM.

20170723 150133 resized
20170723 150110 resized

• FXM and REC like this

#61 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

Nothing Fancy. C-90 with Canon 450D controlled by Mac laptop. Also a small refractor for visual views. (not in picture)

Attached Files

• FXM, Joe F Gafford, Rickycardo and 2 others like this

#62 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Viking 1

• Loc: Bolingbrook, Illinois

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

I like the box for your laptop. I have to do that for mine.

• charotarguy likes this

#63 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Nothing Fancy. C-90 with Canon 450D controlled by Mac laptop. Also a small refractor for visual views. (not in picture)

I need to do that as well, box for the laptop.

#64 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Well, one of my "gear" is a Meade 9x63 mounted on a mirror mount, called "Sky Window". You place it on a table and look down through the bino's at the reflected image. No worry about being steady!

Betcha I''m on of a very few in the county that will be using this kind of set-up. The company no longer make them. The name of the company was Trico mfg. Bought them in 1999.

Camera: Canon T2i Vivitar 600-1000mm zoom.

Scope, PST Celestron 80ED

REC,

I've been trying to figure out just how to build just such a rig.That's beautiful.

So...the binos are fixed.....and the mirror angle and az are adjustable?

Yeah, there is a Knob on each side of the platform that you turn to make the mirror move up and down. On the bottom of the platform are three rubber feet and you can slide the whole rig left and right. It sure is a thing of beauty, made out of precision aircraft steel. Best $200 I ever spent. Have it 15 years now. Too bad they stopped making them.

Attached Files

• AUricle likes this

#65 dschre

dschre

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Here is our setup for observing the total solar eclipse.  We will be in western Wyoming, and the objective is to observe although video will be recorded.

· Scope:  TV-85
   · Filter:  Solarscope (Isle of Man) SF70mm H-alpha
   · Eyepiece:  TV Nagler 12mm type4

The above is all that would be required if there were just a couple of observers.  However there will be a small group joining us and we want to give everyone the opportunity to watch the progress of the eclipse.  So we have added the ability to stream video from the eyepiece with the following equipment and applications.

· TeleVue Fonemate adapter:  allows a smartphone to be attached to certain TV eyepieces
   · Smartphone:  In our case either the iPod  Touch G5 or G6
   · Application:  AtHome Camera and AtHome Video Streamer.  One streamer app on the iPod Touch and the camera app on each iOS device that will be used to view the streamed video.  Video can be recorded.
   · WiFi LAN:  This is being created with a travel router (TP-Link 300Mpbs N Nano Router) which will be powered by a 5 volt battery pack, and accessible through participants' iOS devices.  Had hoped to allow Android and Windows, but they seem to require an internet connection to log-in and we probably won't have that where we are observing.

This setup has been tested and works.  There are probably other apps we could use and did find one that also connects with Bluetooth but with multiple users the WiFi router approach is the best option.

We would appreciate suggestions from anyone else taking a similar approach to observing.

Richard Schreiber

#66 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

I like the box for your laptop. I have to do that for mine.

I needed something simple to shade my laptop and the box works better than I expected!

• charotarguy likes this

#67 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Faribault, MN

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Some great ideas here.  As I was testing things out today, here is my setup.

Main photography setup: 110mm f/7 ED refractor (770mm focal length), Canon T4i, Thousand Oaks Optical polymer solarlite filter, Atlas EQ-G mount

Visual setup: Orion XT10 dobson with a full aperture Orion solar filter.

Attached File  Setup-2017-07-29-IMG_2504SS.jpg   232.79KB   7 downloads

I wish everyone the best of luck. :)

• txmnjim likes this

#68 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Some great ideas here.  As I was testing things out today, here is my setup.

Main photography setup: 110mm f/7 ED refractor (770mm focal length), Canon T4i, Thousand Oaks Optical polymer solarlite filter, Atlas EQ-G mount

Visual setup: Orion XT10 dobson with a full aperture Orion solar filter.

attachicon.gifSetup-2017-07-29-IMG_2504SS.jpg

I wish everyone the best of luck. smile.gif

Hope we get some sun spots to add to the disk feature. Good luck to you as well!

#69 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

Nuth'n fancy..afterall, only gonna last about 2 hrs...this will be the "main photo" setup.. will

use an unmodded T1i w/ Set'N'C / Laptop

Attached File  DSC00547.JPG   146.08KB   8 downloads

Attached File  DSC00548.JPG   141.52KB   5 downloads

Attached File  DSC00549.JPG   147.17KB   5 downloads

will have the ED102 w/bino's for visual on a Twilight1 & another couple cam's on wider field setups.

One of the Pentax's on the LXD55 w/ the Tamron 70-200 & 2X converter, the other probably on

a fixed tripod w/ the 16mm Rokinon, or 10-17 Pentax..

#70 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:51 PM

Here is my 3 camera setup with a 530mm Takahashi FSQ 106ED, 500mm Sigma 50-500mm lens, and a Sigma 105mm macro lens.  The 3-camera system is mounted on an Orion Atlas Pro mount that I will set up and polar align the night before.

Attached Files

#71 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Nuth'n fancy..afterall, only gonna last about 2 hrs...this will be the "main photo" setup.. will

use an unmodded T1i w/ Set'N'C / Laptop

attachicon.gifDSC00547.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00548.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00549.JPG

will have the ED102 w/bino's for visual on a Twilight1 & another couple cam's on wider field setups.

One of the Pentax's on the LXD55 w/ the Tamron 70-200 & 2X converter, the other probably on

a fixed tripod w/ the 16mm Rokinon, or 10-17 Pentax..

Good idea with the cardboard! I once was using my finder scope to center the sun without looking through it and burnt up the cross hairs! Next time a filter goes on it!

#72 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Lunt LS60Tha with ZWO ASI174MM

William Optics Zenith Star Fluorite Doublet 80 (Red Anniversary) with Ha Modded Nikon D610 (I call it the D610A).

ADM Side-by-Side Dovetail Plate with Max Guider

Astro-Physics Mach1GTO CP3

I have an Intel i5 NUC to control the ZWO; this will be for the partial phases. For totality I'll use the Nikon controlled by Solar Eclipse Maestro.

Attached Files

Edited by ismosi, 30 July 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#73 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

Here is what I used in Libya.

Attached Files

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#74 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Here is the rig of a fellow eclipse chaser in the South Pacific.

Note all of the holes he drilled in the Vixen SP mount to make it as light as possible for travelling.

Not to mention using water bottles for counterweights.

Attached Files

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#75 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Here is my setup for the Indonesian eclipse.

This is what you do when you discover that you managed to leave behind a critical box!

Attached Files

• Joe F Gafford, woodscavenger, charotarguy and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics