•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Direct Bolt On Moonlites for GSO Scopes!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hello everyone!
I'd just like to let you all know that I've been working with Moonlite on an install kit for ALL GSO scopes that will be a DIRECT bolt on! :shocked: No more drilling holes for the Moonlite upgrade! :cool: This is a DBA Exclusive and only available thru DBA.
In order to make this happen we needed to make the bottom curve adapter out of aluminum so that we can tap the mounting holes. The original black nylon adapters just don't hold threads well and strip out. Because of the aluminum curve adapter the price went up from 29.00 to 40.00 because of the added costs involed. Sorry!

This install kit mounts by putting the bolt up thru the INSIDE of the tube verses putting the bolt thru and then using a nut to secure it in place. I have had MANY customers ask me about this possibility and finally I have been able to get it done. I hope that you will find this very helpful in your quest for upgrading your GSO scopes!

Some scopes are: Antares, DBA DSO, Hardin DSH, GSO, X-Class & Zhumell.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 865055-DBA Bolt Pattern.jpg

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

Dale, how about a front view of the adapter. I bought one of the plastic adapter plates from Moonlite (got the CR1 from you! :waytogo:). When I would try to adjust the four screws on the base of the focuser, the plastic would warp along with the tube. I asked Mark Mickels to make me an adapter plate to fit between the curved plastic base and the focuser so I could use the adjustment screws.

You have addressed that issue with an aluminum adapter. :applause:

#3 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hello Tom
Here is the pix you are asking for. This particular adapter is for an 8" DSO/DSH OTA. I don't have one mounted here with the focuser but once I get one on a scope I'll post it for you.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 866109-Picture 086.jpg

#4 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

And another pix!

Attached Thumbnails

• 866110-Picture 087.jpg

#5 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

The only suggestion I would make, which you probably already thought of, is making the mounting bolts & washers black. Otherwise it looks great!

#6 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

Hello Curtis
Yes I know. I've been telling Ron to do this but he doesn't do it on any of the install kits. A touch of flat black paint would take care of that issue.

Thanks!

#7 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Looks great Dale :goodjob:
I usually usa a black magic marker to touch shiny spots on nuts and bolts, but having them come in flat black would be nice.

#8 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

Hi Chris
Ya I know what you mean! The bolts actually are black oxide finished but the washers are not.

Thanks!

#9 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

Cool!

Any chance of getting an aluminum adaptor plate for the Orion scopes, I wonder?

#10 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hello Matt
There are some of the new model XT scopes that are coming with a different bolt pattern. Why I do not know but Moonlite is making them for that bolt pattern. The "older" style XT install kits are still coming with the black nylon curve adapters.

Thanks!

#11 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

Maybe they changed suppliers, or perhaps they realized that having 2 different bolt patterns was annoying the after-market add-on folks. Thanks for the info!

#12 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

Hi Dale,

It looks like he uses stainless steel screws so they won't rust, as the black ones tend to do. For my self any way, I'd like to see SS button head screws which will have a lower profile and would be easier to paint after installation. The button head screws also tend to have a slightly bigger head, so the washers might not be needed.

Of course I don't own a DOB...but I've been thinking of getting one.
:grin:

#13 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hello Kerry
Yes your correct about he button head screws. And Moonlite is now using all SS hardware. (He wasn't for prototypes) However Ron has been using the sockethead cap screws for years now so I think he probably won't be changing. I can mention it to him again.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics