•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss Telementor

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#76 steveyo

steveyo

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

The more you use it, the more you appreciate it. Telementor is an industry icon. Built like a rock, working like a Swiss watch.

I'll take this over a Teletormentor any day

https://www.astromar...ified_id=950846

Wow, never saw that one before! Drool....

#77 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

The more you use it, the more you appreciate it. Telementor is an industry icon. Built like a rock, working like a Swiss watch.

Wow, never saw that one before! Drool....

I have a 60mm Tak and they are really good. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#78 jamesk8752

jamesk8752

Sputnik

• Loc: Suburban Detroit, MI

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

I see JW's Zeiss went for $760.  I knew it would get there with a little helpwink.gif

I'm the lucky buyer.  I've wanted a decent Telementor for several years now; too bad I missed Bomber Bob's original CN Classified ad; it cost me an extra $110 to buy it on the 'Bay.  Oh well, that's the price for not paying attention...

I have a couple of grandchildren who will visit us at our summer cottage over the week of the 4th.  Hopefully I can have it set up and working by then. Saturn will be a fun target.

Regards, Jim

• deSitter, photiost, rolo and 13 others like this

#79 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

That is beautiful, but admittedly is taking the 60mm-class scope to another level. It is hardly a fair comparison. AND quite a TEMPTATION!

• rolo, steve t and jamesk8752 like this

#80 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

I like the looks of Telementors. They have a cool, heavy-handed industrial look, and the tripod is made out of the same wood that our old school desks used to be made of. They are unique! I liked my T2 but I like my T1 better. I can see parallels with them and Tinsley scopes in that industrial, minimalist, no nonsense look.

Do you have any Tinsley refractors?  I was always looking for one of their 5" Maks but Dave Trott has me thinking about one of their refractors. 

To me, the Telementor looks like a pipe.  A telescope deserves a proper dew shield to provide a balance to the scope, offsetting the focuser. grin.gif   Of course it doesn't really have a focuser as it's all internal but the knob on the T2 IIRC, so maybe there's balance after all.  I very much like the generous setting circles.  Does the T1 have a helical focuser?

The T1 indeed has an excellent helical focuser. One of the smoothest if not the smoothest focuser I have ever used. The tube is quite thick and heavy and is thus quite durable; the objective is nestled back fairly deeply within the tube so the forward portion acts as a dew shield. The objective cell itself is a heavy bronze, and all of this lends itself to added protection to the precious objective (remember, this instrument was intended for school use). Not only is the glass protected from breakage but it is much less likely to be knocked out of collimation than with the more traditional (Japanese) design where the exterior of the cell/countercell is exposed and serves to mate dew shield and tube. The Telementor's design is very well thought out given that it was intended for school use. It's utilitarian/no frills appearance harkens back to its Marxist origins in the former DDR. The tripod is heavy and well built, in the design of a mini-surveyors tripod. It contains a built-in bullseye bubble-level, and is made of fine hardwood that appears to be birch or maple, not pine. The mount can be set up in either equatorial or alt-azimuth mode and has large, useful, very readable and accurate setting circles- again showing it's scholastic purpose. It's motions are smooth and stable as are the locks and slow motions. Later models have all locks color-keyd in e peep-sights are servicable and also work well as a sun finder- (one only needs to place their hand behind the rear peep-sight and let the sun cast an alligned shadow. Again, the peep-sights belay the intended for school use- a small finderscope would need continuous re-aligning, and would soon go missing. There is nothing in the Telementor's construction that isn't well thought out, practical, useful, well intended, and well made. It is anything but cheap! While a Unitron 128 may be much more aesthetically pleasing in a traditional sense, having been a teacher, I can be most certain that it would have a far shorter 'shelf-life' than a Zeiss Telementor. These were placed in primary and secondary schools throughout the DDR and the fact that so many have survived is a testiment to how well made they are.

Yep, really good design, I like it too (I have the later version). My Telementor easily survived hundreds of kids, serving its original purpose, during the partial eclipse in 2015. Some of them were even able to notice granulation.

sm_eclipse2015_02.jpg

The only week point of the design I see in the fine motion knobs. Mine were already slightly bended when I got the mount.

Still the tube can be destroyed. The friend, I got the C63/840 lens from, got his Telementor OTA heavily bended. Hard to imagine, how it could happened. That's why he gave me the lens in simple plastic tube OTA. The mount met said destiny as well. As this scope was not used for over 30 years, the friend's parents mounted on it their satellite antenna.

Edited by Sasa, 12 June 2017 - 03:12 PM.

• rolo, Fhuyu, Crow Haven and 6 others like this

#81 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

That is beautiful, but admittedly is taking the 60mm-class scope to another level. It is hardly a fair comparison. AND quite a TEMPTATION!

That APO bug is dangerous!

• Terra Nova and AllanDystrup like this

#82 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

And who can resist the sputnik look-alike eyepiece turret?

IMG_4745_zpsqbcen4lo.jpg

• Fhuyu, Crow Haven, steve t and 6 others like this

#83 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

That is so cool Ben!

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#84 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

The Zeiss eyepiece turrets are way cool, but I don't use mine any more, for several reasons. First and chiefly, the eyepieces you don't use tend to dew up rapidly, as they sit very exposed to the combination of cold nighttime air and humidity from the observer's breath, a disastrous combination. Second, it only accepts one 1.25" eyepiece (via the M44 port), unless you're one of the lucky few who has the modern version with 1.25" eyepiece holders. Third, I prefer to use my 1.25" and 2" ES82 eyepieces for deep-sky observing and my Baader binoviewer for lunar/planetary and the turret is incompatible with these. 

But I do occasionally miss the simplicity of just loading the turret with four eyepieces from low to high power and roam the sky, changing magnifications instantaneously with a simple click. It was fantastic for doing survey-like work on deep-sky objects. The correct-reading images was a dream come true for starhopping. 

BTW, someone in this thread noted, that as a collector he found the Telementor design plain and boring, while his Japanese telescopes were far more elaborate and beautiful. I can certainly see where he's coming from, but to this I'll counter, that from a quick glance through the thread, it is obvious that the observers strongly prefer the Telementor/Telemator over basically almost anything else of the same aperture.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Crow Haven, Mike E., Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#85 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

The Zeiss eyepiece turrets are way cool, but I don't use mine any more, for several reasons. First and chiefly, the eyepieces you don't use tend to dew up rapidly, as they sit very exposed to the combination of cold nighttime air and humidity from the observer's breath, a disastrous combination. Second, it only accepts one 1.25" eyepiece (via the M44 port), unless you're one of the lucky few who has the modern version with 1.25" eyepiece holders. Third, I prefer to use my 1.25" and 2" ES82 eyepieces for deep-sky observing and my Baader binoviewer for lunar/planetary and the turret is incompatible with these. 

But I do occasionally miss the simplicity of just loading the turret with four eyepieces from low to high power and roam the sky, changing magnifications instantaneously with a simple click. It was fantastic for doing survey-like work on deep-sky objects. The correct-reading images was a dream come true for starhopping. 

BTW, someone in this thread noted, that as a collector he found the Telementor design plain and boring, while his Japanese telescopes were far more elaborate and beautiful. I can certainly see where he's coming from, but to this I'll counter, that from a quick glance through the thread, it is obvious that the observers strongly prefer the Telementor/Telemator over basically almost anything else of the same aperture.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

that is so true.  While most like to put down the Zeiss scope I think it is because they never had one.

• Terra Nova and 7Soeurs like this

#86 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Actually I said sort of the opposite - I'm *not* a collector, and that scope I just find really off-putting, no matter what people say about it. It looks precious and weird, like Bauhaus architecture. And I have a Japanese 4-banger turret with SCT thread neck and 1.25" eyepiece slots with set screws that creams that silly looking Zeiss thing. Sorry that's how I feel about it.

-drl

• rolo likes this

#87 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

that is so true.  While most like to put down the Zeiss scope I think it is because they never had one.

Most don't put Zeiss down the quality is unsurpassed  but that particular model does nothing for many, including myself. Just cause it's a Zeiss doesn't mean we need to worship it.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#88 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 56N 12E, Denmark

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

1:  First and chiefly, the eyepieces you don't use tend to dew up rapidly, as they sit very exposed to the combination of cold nighttime air and humidity from the observer's breath, a disastrous combination.

2: Second, it only accepts one 1.25" eyepiece (via the M44 port), unless you're one of the lucky few who has the modern version with 1.25" eyepiece holders.

3: Third, I prefer to use my 1.25" and 2" ES82 eyepieces for deep-sky observing and my Baader binoviewer for lunar/planetary and the turret is incompatible with these. 

Not really Thomas, The Zeiss turret can easily (and reversibly) be adapted to:

1: use eyepiece caps to prevent fogging up the eyepieces.

2: accept 2", 1.25" as well as 0.965" eyepieces via appropriate adapters

3: your binoviewer (at least Zeiss/Baader ones) can easily connect via the M44 port plus a T2 quick change

That's how I use my Zeiss turrets on ALL my refractors (apart from the Lunt 60mm solar scope...) smile.gif

ZT.jpg

Allan

PS: Heck, I also have my R2 ccd cam riding on the turret, with a 0.5x reducer in a 1.25" nose -- works like a dream.

PPS: The Telementor is a purely functional design for robust and serious , precise scientific astronomy. --
         It is (like the Hubble and the Web) not designed for max. living room or spouse appeal...

Edited by AllanDystrup, 13 June 2017 - 10:57 AM.

• Vesper818, Fhuyu, Crow Haven and 5 others like this

#89 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

Less we forget that the Zeiss turret has an Amici roof prism for image erecting!

I understand the controversy of the Telementor's Bauhaus inspired design and also that style's appeal in post-war Germany's reconstruction.   Here are two quotes about the Bauhaus type design from both a favorite designer and author.    

"Design should not dominate things, should not dominate people. It should help people. That's its role."

Dieter Rams

"Has there ever been another place on earth where so many people of wealth and power have paid for and put up with so much architecture they detested? I doubt it seriously. Every child goes to school in a building that looks like a duplicating-machine replacement-parts wholesale distribution warehouse. Not even the school board, who commissioned it and approved the plans, can figure it out. The main thing is to try to avoid having to explain it to the parents."

Tom Wolfe

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 13 June 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#90 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 56N 12E, Denmark

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bauhaus?

There must be 50 way

To derail a topic...

• Vesper818, Terra Nova and Ben Bajorek like this

#91 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Not really Thomas, The Zeiss turret can easily (and reversibly) be adapted to:

1: use eyepiece caps to prevent fogging up the eyepieces.
2: accept 2", 1.25" as well as 0.965" eyepieces via appropriate adapters
3: your binoviewer (at least Zeiss/Baader ones) can easily connect via the M44 port plus a T2 quick change

Yes, but if I don't have any caps for my Zeiss eyepieces and have never found any that fit. 

I also don't have any 1.25" adapters for the 0.965" ports on my turret, nor have I ever found any for sale. The prism in the turret is too small and will cause severe vignetting with large 2" eyepieces, been there, tried that. The turret also can't hold the 30mm ES82, when it's not vertical. 

My binoviewer with Zeiss eyepieces is so heavy, the turret can't hold it, when it's not vertically aligned. It also takes up much more back focus than my Baader T2 diagonal, which I therefore prefer.  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Bomber Bob and 7Soeurs like this

#92 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Actually I said sort of the opposite - I'm *not* a collector, and that scope I just find really off-putting, no matter what people say about it. It looks precious and weird, like Bauhaus architecture. And I have a Japanese 4-banger turret with SCT thread neck and 1.25" eyepiece slots with set screws that creams that silly looking Zeiss thing. Sorry that's how I feel about it.

-drl

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Personal taste can't really be discussed, as it is just that, personal. We all like different things, though we sometimes don't even know why we like what we do, and the only thing we can really do, is to inform about what we like. I am perfectly fine with that.

But I'm curious as to what you mean by that the Japanese turret "creams" the Zeiss turret. In what way? Cosmetically, functionally or optically? The first is obviously a personal preference, so I'll not discuss that, but the other two? Well, let's just say I very much doubt it... 

Zeiss has also made a five-eyepiece turret that looks a bit like the Japanese turret, BTW, and works much in the same way. It looks quite a lot like the big Unitron turret.

My personal opinion is that the Zeiss amici turret looks really interesting, like a microscope objective turret adapted to a telescope. I really dig the way it looks on the scope. Especially the black version.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Fhuyu likes this

#93 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

The Unitron Unihex is my favorite .965" accessory.  For owners of both, how does it compare with the Zeiss turret?

• rolo likes this

#94 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hmmmm...., I rather like Bauhaus- both the school of design and the band! ;)

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#95 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

-drl

Personal taste can't really be discussed, as it is just that, personal. We all like different things, though we sometimes don't even know why we like what we do, and the only thing we can really do, is to inform about what we like. I am perfectly fine with that.

But I'm curious as to what you mean by that the Japanese turret "creams" the Zeiss turret. In what way? Cosmetically, functionally or optically? The first is obviously a personal preference, so I'll not discuss that, but the other two? Well, let's just say I very much doubt it... 

Zeiss has also made a five-eyepiece turret that looks a bit like the Japanese turret, BTW, and works much in the same way. It looks quite a lot like the big Unitron turret.

My personal opinion is that the Zeiss amici turret looks really interesting, like a microscope objective turret adapted to a telescope. I really dig the way it looks on the scope. Especially the black version.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

it is hard to share opinions with grumpy old menlol.gif I agree with you Thomas, the Zeiss equipment is fantastic.  I have the black version of the turret and I love it.   The 4 banger turret DRL is talking about is the Celestron 4 turret for SCT scopes.  It is a cheap turret and not really that well made.  They normally sell for about $100,

Edited by starman876, 13 June 2017 - 02:02 PM.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#96 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

The Takahashi turrets are very nice and both types are well built.  I prefer the 90 degree style instead of the ball type.

• Fhuyu and Terra Nova like this

#97 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Most don't put Zeiss down the quality is unsurpassed  but that particular model does nothing for many, including myself. Just cause it's a Zeiss doesn't mean we need to worship it.

Exactly! I've used Zeiss microscopes and know the early history under Abbe's influence, I have the utmost respect for them and no doubt of the optical quality of this scope. It's just too much its own thing for many I suspect. I sure wish I could afford an old Zeiss micrometer!

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 13 June 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#98 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

-drl

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

it is hard to share opinions with grumpy old menlol.gif I agree with you Thomas, the Zeiss equipment is fantastic.  I have the black version of the turret and I love it.   The 4 banger turret DRL is talking about is the Celestron 4 turret for SCT scopes.  It is a cheap turret and not really that well made.  They normally sell for about $100,

Nope, it's a Meade Japan with a very good oversized prism, very high quality mechanics, and the ability to use both 1.25" and 2" nose fittings on the SCT threads. And it's perfectly collimated in all four positions.

-drl

#99 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

-drl

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Nope, it's a Meade Japan with a very good oversized prism, very high quality mechanics, and the ability to use both 1.25" and 2" nose fittings on the SCT threads. And it's perfectly collimated in all four positions.

-drl

We want pictures

#100 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

Meade 4 turret, have never seen this in a catalog and do not know the #model number. The turret mechanism is sweet. Really precise fit of the drum into the housing with zero play. Very positive click and perfect collimation at all four stations. A good old fashioned Japanese work of opto-mechanical art!

-drl

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by deSitter, 13 June 2017 - 11:41 PM.

• Sasa, kansas skies and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics