•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Disc & Details Today | Quark & PST | 40mm & 120mm | June 9th 2017

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Heya

So, I've not seen the sun since May 27th. It's been storming daily and clouded over forever it feels like. Finally got a morning with no clouds for a little while. Now it's cloudy, but at least this morning gave me a window. And of course, it's a near void disc today. Barely any surface features other than the remnants of AR2661, a single large filament and a little plage near the sunspot. There's only a single fairly good sized prominence group, and its small compared to what was going on a few days ago. Very quiet disc. Figures! The clouds kept me away from all those big groups over the past 4 weeks that I've missed in the storms. Alas. But the beauty of high resolution is that there's always something some where to look at that is interesting!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Coronado PST (400mm F10)

ASI174MM + ASI's low profile 1.25" nose (achieves focus just fine without anything else)

35198142125_ea74eeebb3.jpg

Celestron Omni XLT 120 (1000mm F8.3)

80mm Extensions x 2

Baader UV/IR Cutter (ERF)

Quark Chromosphere

ASI174MM

Detailed imaged at 500 frames, best 51 frames stacked.

Processed with IMPPG, then Registax6, then Photoshop CS5.1

35157660346_d4d9226d58.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The quiet disc:

34816888180_5f3e848806_c.jpg

But, the high res details:

35069191111_c811b4d534_z.jpg

34389764463_b86bd3f469_z.jpg

34354750934_b9a9f14692_z.jpg

34354751684_71103b10d8_z.jpg

34389764993_f7b27d5b3a_z.jpg

35069194201_99c4f20c86_z.jpg

34389766503_8660ee6dbe_z.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 09 June 2017 - 04:41 PM.

• nickatnight, marked, deepwoods1 and 5 others like this

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

Later on, we did a little playground and outreach solar with three kids and the girls.

35203549225_f88e50d40a_c.jpg

And the Astrobin:

get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg
get.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 09 June 2017 - 04:42 PM.

• nickatnight, LauraMS and charotarguy like this

#3 alvarete

alvarete

Ranger 4

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Impressive
  • MalVeauX likes this

#4 Rooftop-Astro

Rooftop-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Very nice! Things were quiet yesterday in the few minutes I had with everything out, and it looks like they're even quieter today.

• MalVeauX likes this

#5 Gallion

Gallion

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Very nice Marty!

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

bow.gif    Great work!!

• MalVeauX likes this

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Man, quiet disc again, not even a single really obvious big prominence!

Very best,

#8 chrishalpha2017

chrishalpha2017

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Paris

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

hello

fantastic photos!!! amazing!!!  

I too have a 120/1000 (just bought it recently in an advert on my local french astronomy forum) ;  so far I didnit know what to expect from that refractor in H alpha ( I use a spectro-coronagraph homemade).

Thanks to youj and your extraordinary photos I know now what kind of results I could hope to get!

chris

• MalVeauX likes this

#9 Antonio Spinoza

Antonio Spinoza

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

Beautiful images!

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

hello

fantastic photos!!! amazing!!!  

I too have a 120/1000 (just bought it recently in an advert on my local french astronomy forum) ;  so far I didnit know what to expect from that refractor in H alpha ( I use a spectro-coronagraph homemade).

Thanks to youj and your extraordinary photos I know now what kind of results I could hope to get!

chris

The beauty of ultra narrowband is that virtually any refractor as long as it can achieve focus will be great for this. Big aperture achromatics are awesome scopes for the Quark, it's what they were really meant for ultimately. Usually big aperture achromatic refractors are full of CA and great for DSO visual, etc, but slap a Quark on them and they're excellent for ultra narrowband imaging at high magnification and high resolution. Great scope for cheap!

The only thing I did was replace the stock focuser, because having fine tune control on focus is fairly critical and I wanted a strong linear bearing focuser to avoid any slop or slippage.

Very best,

#11 RickV

RickV

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

LOL!  After nearly a two week hiatus, Marty emerges from under the Florida clouds!

Great Images!

• MalVeauX likes this

#12 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:05 AM

99% humidity, all day, every day. Partial showers all day. Storms. Total cloud cover. Friday was the only day I saw the sky in a long time. Looks like it's going to be a while, yet again, before I see the sky again. Sigh.

I watched Venus driving in to work this morning though, there's that...

Weather_ThisWeek_FL.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 11 June 2017 - 05:05 AM.

#13 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

Very best,

Yesterday was a bit disappointing. I kept looking around the disk for proms but nothing the camera could really pick up on the 60mm scope. I then tried the 70mm PST modified scope and saw some pretty ultra thin and delicate prominences. I need to get my mount to track better to have any hope of capturing something like that on camera....
  • MalVeauX likes this

#14 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Very best,

Yesterday was a bit disappointing. I kept looking around the disk for proms but nothing the camera could really pick up on the 60mm scope. I then tried the 70mm PST modified scope and saw some pretty ultra thin and delicate prominences. I need to get my mount to track better to have any hope of capturing something like that on camera....

Even now, it's still very calm. A few minor wisps on the limb, but nothing major brewing. Gonna be quiet for a few days probably, then maybe get a bloom hopefully.

Very best,

• sink45ny likes this

#15 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

Glad you're back at it Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#16 marked

marked

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Silverthorne, CO

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Nice pics as always Marty - I'm happy to see what you were able to capture with the PST.  I'm new to solar observing and purchased a PST - your photos are giving me the bug to try imaging with the PST!  Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ed

#17 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Nice pics as always Marty - I'm happy to see what you were able to capture with the PST.  I'm new to solar observing and purchased a PST - your photos are giving me the bug to try imaging with the PST!  Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ed

I'm learning the PST too, but from my single day imaging with it I can definitely tell you this:

Tune it before you image with it! I tuned mine visually to get an idea of how features would appear through the different tuning values. Then switched to the camera, and cycled through them again to see where I got the best contrast to show all the features. It was night and day. My first try I had no surface features, no prominences (at the extreme left and right of the tuning values). Then I slowed rotated the tuner from full-right slowly to the left and the surface popped out and proms showed up, and I was tuned. Then I was able to get the surface stuff and proms no problem.

The real challenge with a PST is getting focus in the first place. It wasn't made to image, so it has a difficult time with lots of cameras to get enough inward focus. I'm able to do it without any modification using an ASI camera and an ASI low profile nose ($28 1.25" low profile nose). Fits all the ASI cameras. Works great to get the camera close enough to get focus without having to do any mods. Other people have to use a barlow just to pull the focus away so that you can get focus with something farther out like a dSLR or other cameras. So really it depends on what camera you're using. But if you use one of the ASI cameras and their short low profile nose, you can get full discs without mods and it's cheap and works great.

The PST has a built in sun finder that is super easy to use. It's opening is under the barrel of the tuner, so if your hand is on the tuner you may block that light path. Otherwise, get in the general area and you'll see a light show up on the disc that you center and you're aligned:

Here's the ASI low profile nose piece ($28 from agena & highpoint for any ASI camera made pretty much just for the PST):

35198139105_68fe022663_z.jpg

And here's the sun finder and how it looks when you're aligned and pointed at the sun:

35198138335_f58c588b8d_z.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 11 June 2017 - 12:23 PM.

• marked likes this

#18 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Marty

Did you have to the tilter on the PST?

#19 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Marty

Did you have to the tilter on the PST?

I did not, the images above are how it was as I imaged with it. I was surprised, I figured I'd have some tilt some where, but didn't.

Very best,

#20 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

I could have captured those little prominences today but I needed refresher course (of your video) for the smartCap software. I just got my first ZWO camera this week. Previously used fireCapture and PtGrey camera. Thanks again Marty!!!

Edited by sink45ny, 11 June 2017 - 11:08 PM.

#21 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

There's a lovely big loop prom on the limb today. I can't look at it or capture it, I'm all clouds and rain here. :(

Very best,

#22 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

There's a lovely big loop prom on the limb today. I can't look at it or capture it, I'm all clouds and rain here. frown.gif

Very best,

I saw that today, just too darn hot to set big rig up to capture it, maybe I'll try the Port-A-Mount later this afternoon to try it.

#23 Antonio Spinoza

Antonio Spinoza

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Darn - it's nice and clear here and I am at work.  By the time I'm done it will be too late for solar viewing.

#24 marked

marked

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Silverthorne, CO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm learning the PST too, but from my single day imaging with it I can definitely tell you this:

Tune it before you image with it! I tuned mine visually to get an idea of how features would appear through the different tuning values. Then switched to the camera, and cycled through them again to see where I got the best contrast to show all the features. It was night and day. My first try I had no surface features, no prominences (at the extreme left and right of the tuning values). Then I slowed rotated the tuner from full-right slowly to the left and the surface popped out and proms showed up, and I was tuned. Then I was able to get the surface stuff and proms no problem.

The real challenge with a PST is getting focus in the first place. It wasn't made to image, so it has a difficult time with lots of cameras to get enough inward focus. I'm able to do it without any modification using an ASI camera and an ASI low profile nose ($28 1.25" low profile nose). Fits all the ASI cameras. Works great to get the camera close enough to get focus without having to do any mods. Other people have to use a barlow just to pull the focus away so that you can get focus with something farther out like a dSLR or other cameras. So really it depends on what camera you're using. But if you use one of the ASI cameras and their short low profile nose, you can get full discs without mods and it's cheap and works great.

The PST has a built in sun finder that is super easy to use. It's opening is under the barrel of the tuner, so if your hand is on the tuner you may block that light path. Otherwise, get in the general area and you'll see a light show up on the disc that you center and you're aligned:

Very best,

Marty,

Thanks so much for the advice and photo's of your setup.  I'm getting fairly familiar with the PST now for visual and adjusting the tuning certainly has major impacts - it's interesting how proms and surface features go away then pop out as I turn the tuning knob.  

Sounds like the low profile nose for the ASI camera is required, so if I move ahead and get one of those cameras I'll be sure to get that as well.  

Thanks again for your advice and sharing your experience so far.  I'll look forward to seeing more of your photos using the PST (and your other ones that are just amazing!).

Ed

• MalVeauX likes this

#25 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

Darn - it's nice and clear here and I am at work.  By the time I'm done it will be too late for solar viewing.

That's my predicament, weekend viewing only. I have a mountain to my west, solar viewing is over by 4PM even in June. Just looked at the forcast for this weekend and it doesn't look good.

I live vicariously through the posts of others and long for retirement.

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics