•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn phenomena

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Saturn is essentially at opposition for the next week, with the actual event on the 14th. A couple of interesting things are going on that are worth looking for.

1) The rings are as open as they get. The short diameter of the ellipse of the rings is 19" of arc! The long diameter is 42", bigger than Jupiter.

2) The shadow of Saturn falls wholly on the rings and does not interrupt it.

3) The ball should be visible through the Cassini division opposite the shadow.

4) The far edge of the shadow is tangent to the Encke division and may be of use in seeing that elusive feature.

5) This is the time to look for dusky shadings in the main ring.

6) Because the rings are at their widest, this is the best time to see the crepe ring effect, seeing the ball through the innermost ring.

7) The polar region is at its best aspect.

edit: Interaction of the shadow of Saturn and the Encke division should produce a visual effect whereby the shadow appears to be flattened and extended, not the smooth elliptical curve of the shadow of a sphere cast on a plane.

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 09 June 2017 - 06:34 PM.

• photiost, Dan /schechter, DreamWeaver and 7 others like this

#2 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: GA, USA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Dang! And I got rid of my Dynamax!

• deSitter, L. Regira, Vesper818 and 3 others like this

#3 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Dummy! Make do with the C9.25

-drl

• rolo and NMBob like this

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: Kentucky!

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• rolo, madeline and mahagen1 like this

#5 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

Time to pull out the old 3x Boy Scout binoculars again! Last time I used these was one of those years when Mars got bigger than the Full Moon. Yep, gotta love astronomy.

Back to the real world...one more Saturn thing...for about a week before opposition and a week after opposition, the rings themselves will brighten up much more than normal, so see if you can also detect that.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#6 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Dummy! Make do with the C9.25

-drl

I guess I have no choice...

#7 Rovert9988

Rovert9988

Explorer 1

• Loc: WA State

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:49 PM

Saturn is essentially at opposition for the next week, with the actual event on the 14th. A couple of interesting things are going on that are worth looking for.

1) The rings are as open as they get. The short diameter of the ellipse of the rings is 19" of arc! The long diameter is 42", bigger than Jupiter.

4) The far edge of the shadow is tangent to the Encke division and may be of use in seeing that elusive feature.

6) Because the rings are at their widest, this is the best time to see the crepe ring effect, seeing the ball through the innermost ring.

edit: Interaction of the shadow of Saturn and the Encke division should produce a visual effect whereby the shadow appears to be flattened and extended, not the smooth elliptical curve of the shadow of a sphere cast on a plane.

-drl

Am I seeing the interaction of Saturn and the Encke division in this image I took about a week ago? At first I thought something was wrong with my data or processing, but now I'm thinking it may just be a strange visual effect.

Saturn 5-28-17

• GoodAsh likes this

#8 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

There's no trace of the Encke's division in that image. Reminds me of the views through a 60mm refractor.

#9 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

-drl

Am I seeing the interaction of Saturn and the Encke division in this image I took about a week ago? At first I thought something was wrong with my data or processing, but now I'm thinking it may just be a strange visual effect.

That looks like an imaging artifact. Nice image, good color!

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 10 June 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#10 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:33 AM

In my experience, seeing encke division requires lots or magnification and perfect seeing. I use 525x as a starting point, the few times I've seen it clearly was around 800x. Hope it clears up here as its on my list to try again, last time was in the early 2000s.

• rolo likes this

#11 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

In my experience, seeing encke division requires lots or magnification and perfect seeing. I use 525x as a starting point, the few times I've seen it clearly was around 800x. Hope it clears up here as its on my list to try again, last time was in the early 2000s.

Yes, you'd need 400x and at least an optically perfect 6" scope plus good to great seeing.

-drl

#12 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Yes, you'd need 400x and at least an optically perfect 6" scope plus good to great seeing.

-drl

And the rings wide open as they are now.

#13 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

I'm going to try in my 8" and 6", not much hope in my 6", eyesight is not what it once was. I figure I will be lucky to see it in my 8", was very difficult in the past. 

#14 starman876

starman876

Voyager 1

• Loc: VA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

going to get out my 50mm and take a good look at this.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#15 Dartguy

Dartguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

That has to be the post of the month!!  If I had just taken a sip, there would be Fat Tire on the screen.

I bet you were saving that line for a few weeks.

• rolo likes this

#16 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

That has to be the post of the month!! If I had just taken a sip, there would be Fat Tire on the screen.

I bet you were saving that line for a few weeks.

Nah, he keeps it in a 3x5 card in his shirt pocket.
  • rolo and Dartguy like this

#17 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: Kentucky!

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

-drl

The best view I ever had of Encke's Division was last year after a club meeting with the 1845 Merz und Mahler 11 inch refractor at the Cincinnati Observatory. It was well defined and easily visible. 

http://www.cincinnat...er-refractor-1/

Edited by terraclarke, 11 June 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#18 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

I saw Encke's Division with my C-11 and Pentax XO 5mm eyepiece (353X) on June 3, 2013 after going "WOW" for several minutes at the magnificent view. It was one of those perfect nights in the San Jose, CA suburban skies. The Moon was 18.4%. My notes say, "The Cassini Division is a clear, large gap. The C ring of the inner area was seen, the Enke Gap in the A ring was visible at the outer edges at times. Surface markings seen." The same night I also saw M104 (Sombrero Gal.), M68, and NGC 4684, a 13.0 mag galaxy 2.9' wide. I love nights like that.

• deSitter and mfoose like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics