•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Change to Terms of Service - Vendors Post Questions Here

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Gravity Engineer

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:55 AM

This thread is for questions from Vendors specifically about the revised Vendor Rules in the new Terms of Service.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Yes, are we now allowed to comment on products we don't sell if we have owned and used them?

And are we allowed to comment on a product not previously brought up in the thread?

If yes, see my first question.

That isn't clear in the new TOS statement.

#3 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Gravity Engineer

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Yes and yes.

I think it's pretty clear.

e. Vendors are allowed to participate in any discussion on any topic and any product but they are expected to be courteous, objective, and non-promotional. Attempts to skirt these rules may, and most likely will, result in an immediate ban.

#4 Sixburg

Sixburg

Vendor (Deep Sky West)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Rowe, NM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

As a vendor am I able to post about a "giveaway".  We provide imaging data to subscribers (along with more traditional hosting services).  Are we able to post on CN about data that we give away for free?  I've seen similar things, but have not pursued this before now. It is definitely a marketing approach and I want to be careful to stay inbounds on something like this. 

Clear skies,

-Lloyd

#5 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:33 AM

Hi Lloyd,

Yes, you can post about such "giveaways" but this is to take place in the vendors' forum. Kindly start a new thread in this forum to alert members to your offering.

Should your offering be discussed in another thread outside the vendors' forum and something comes up which needs clarification, you can jump in and provide relevant clarifications within the framework discussed in the ToS.

#6 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

I have been a vendor for 20 years, with a sizeable community doing astronomy automation with our software ACP Expert. From what I can read, I am permitted to make announcements here relating to new versions, live stream videos from us, etc. I see I am a branded vendor, so I would post this info here in this forum right? 

I've read the TOS but  still have questions and for that I apologize.What are my restrictions when posting as a branded vendor outside this vendor area? For example OlegAstro appears to be a vendor yet is posting in a "regular" forum (Astronomy Linux): What can he say or not? What are the limitations? 

Finally, and this is really important as you will soon see elsewhere, I am also the original author and instigator of the ASCOM Initiative. Since 2010, Peter Simpson has been the primary developer, but I still play a significant part. This effort is 100% free, Open Source, and Creative Commons licensed. It has provided an open ecosystem for device makers and software developers on Windows for 20 years. Most drivers for specific devices are owned by their respective manufacturers. I have no equity in any of it. On behalf of the ASCOM community I will be making some very important announcements in the coming weeks. Am I restricted to posting about ASCOM to this Vendor area? Is "ASCOM" (a set of specifications and tools provided to and by the community and open source) considered a "vendor"? Looking specifically at the Astronomy Linux forum for example this appears to be a gray area. I'm hoping I can make the announcements in "regular" areas instead of the last forum in the last section at the very bottom. This will be specifically interesting to the Linux and MacOS communities.

Help me achieve clarity so I don't make a fool of myself here.

Edited by Bob Denny, 25 January 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

I am fairly new and have recently sought and received detailed advice about your first two questions.

New products can be announced in the vendor forum section, not elsewhere.  As far as possible I make minor announcements by adding to the existing thread, not starting a new thread.

Participating in other forums, I am not allowed to do anything "promotional," i.e., not allowed to refer to my own books, nor (and this can get clumsy) link to web pages that have any advertising for them on them.  That means I can't link to my own web pages even if they are detailed answers to people's questions.  I can, however, copy and paste material, and have done so.  And I am allowed one promotional link in my signature.

Apart from not referring to my books or linking to anything that mentions them, I participate in the other forums as an ordinary member.

I sincerely hope that ASCOM, being totally free, is not classified as a vendor's product, but I can't say.  You might "notify moderator" and ask for a clarification.

I would also appreciate confirmation that I've understood the first 2 points correctly.

Edited by Michael Covington, 28 January 2019 - 10:30 PM.

#8 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Thank you Michael. I have to say that this is a real mine field for people who are principals in this field. 

I am fairly new and have recently sought and received detailed advice about your first two questions.

I thought this would the the place to seek such advice, yet no one :official" has replied. To whom, and how, did you seek and receive your advice? I'm the receiver of a harsh rebuke several years ago for saying the word "PinPoint" in a post. I bugged out and now I want to come back. Anyway if you have line on who to contact that would help. I got a link to a big list of a bunch of "officials" but who to talk to???

#9 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:05 PM

Thank you Michael. I have to say that this is a real mine field for people who are principals in this field. 

I thought this would the the place to seek such advice, yet no one :official" has replied. To whom, and how, did you seek and receive your advice? I'm the receiver of a harsh rebuke several years ago for saying the word "PinPoint" in a post. I bugged out and now I want to come back. Anyway if you have line on who to contact that would help. I got a link to a big list of a bunch of "officials" but who to talk to???

Actually, from a moderator of another group in which I had linked to one of my web pages without realizing it would be taken to be an advertising page.  He then checked with someone else in management.

#10 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:43 AM

OK, thanks. I'll await a proper response. 

#11 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

I would also appreciate confirmation that I've understood the first 2 points correctly.

Michael,

Just confirming that, yes, you understand those points correctly. Thanks.

• Michael Covington likes this

#12 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

OK, thanks. I'll await a proper response. 

Bob,

You'll see that I've reached out to you by PM. Thanks.

• rgsalinger and Michael Covington like this

#13 Bart

Bart

Gemini

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

How do I apply to become a Vendor?

Thanks

Bart

#14 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

How do I apply to become a Vendor?

Thanks

Bart

Bart,

Just send me a PM and I'll help you with that. Thanks!

Chris.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics