•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pic du Midi planetary mission

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

Dears,

First image from Pic du Midi, taken by the team - Emil Kraaikamp, Damian Peach, Constantin Sprianu, Gérard Thérin, Francois Colas & Ricardo Hueso Alonso. This is a methane absorption band image of Jupiter (deroration of only 2x2min videos). The amount of details is fantastic, we see tons of dark spots, interesting shapes of the waves in the N. Equatorial Band, Oval BA , the rifts in the S. Equatorial band, ... We have about 1/2 TB of Jupiter and Saturn to process smile.gif

Vive le Pic!

LINK to Large Image. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter Pic du Midi.jpg

• paulsky, PrestonE, sfugardi and 14 others like this

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Nicely done. CH4 imaging really has a mystique to it.

#3 ivan11223

ivan11223

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: zhuhai,China

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

More white color,stronger signal?

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

The dark clouds deeper into Jupiter and a higher concentration of methane. The bright clouds indicate high level clouds and no methane. (Confused yet...lol.gif  )

• Lacaille likes this

#5 ivan11223

ivan11223

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: zhuhai,China

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

The dark clouds deeper into Jupiter and a higher concentration of methane. The bright clouds indicate high level clouds and no methane. (Confused yet...lol.gif  )

I though bright for more photons and dark for lessconfused1.gif

#6 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

As I understand it Paul, that's not quite right. The % of methane is reasonably constant at all levels, at least within the cloud altitude range we can image. But as sunlight goes further down into the haze layers of the atmosphere; the more methane it encounters, reducing the amount of sunlight that finally reaches the lower level features and so they appear darker as we are imaging in an absorption band. Higher altitude features like the GRS appear bright only because their higher altitude prevents much CH4 absorption. This is why impact clouds such as the SL-9 and the 2009 "Bird Strike" appeared bright in the CH4 absorption band--- if deeper down layers had a higher abundance of methane the rebound of that material within these impact clouds would cause them to be darker. Another example would be SEB outbreaks, as they are bright in CH4 although they are sourced from deeper with the atmosphere, as is the GRS.

Perhaps Marc Delcroix and/or Chistophe Pellier can add something to this, as I'm only confident in the fact that they are better versed in this than I am! lol.gif

• Tyson M, Lacaille and ivan11223 like this

#7 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

John, you got it right - this is just a matter of how deep sunlight crossed the atmosphere - and beeing gradually absorbed - before being reflected (and beeing absorbed again on the way back).

• John Boudreau likes this

#8 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:43 PM

John, you got it right - this is just a matter of how deep sunlight crossed the atmosphere - and beeing gradually absorbed - before being reflected (and beeing absorbed again on the way back).

Thanks for your insight Marc, and congratulations on what appears to be another fine PDM visit by yourself and the team! waytogo.gif

Looking forward to the other results!

#9 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

There are exceptionnal images in processing. To start small, Neptune, very low with sunset - 3 different spots on 2 nights :

n2017-06-11_03-13-00_ir685_pic.png

n2017-06-12_02-39-36_ir685_pic.png

Marc

http://astrosurf.com/delcroix

• Brian Albin, sfugardi, John Boudreau and 9 others like this

#10 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

There are exceptionnal images in processing. To start small, Neptune, very low with sunset - 3 different spots on 2 nights :

Marc

http://astrosurf.com/delcroix

While still highly detailed, there is a puzzling 'smearing' of Neptune's disk. It's not along the path of atmospheric dispersion, and at 25 to 29° altitude dispersion at that wavelength dispersion shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Since these are derotated in WinJUPOS, could you have mistakenly used the Earth's north reference position instead of Neptune's true north during image measurement? The smearing appears suspiciously well aligned along the RA line.

#11 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, indeed we saw that without understanding where it came from. Actually the smearing was visible on the individual frames during acquisition, even Triton seemed to be elongated in that direction ...
I suspected something to do with the ADC ....

As for the measurement  I'll recheck again, but I calibrated using Triton, and checking the fact that the image was mirror inverted.

• John Boudreau likes this

#12 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Marc,  I saw the Saturn image from your team expedition to PDM and it's mind blowing, especially considering the low elevation. Have you posted it on CN? I saw pictures from amateurs this year getting close to the best PDM images but this sets the record straight: NOTHING beats the Pic!!

Edited by TonyStar, 16 June 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#13 ZuoZhao

ZuoZhao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

well.....whether we can get some raw date (stacked)?

#14 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

I have processed some of the Saturn data as well; it's not as detailed in the rings as the processing by Damian Peach, but there are maybe some more details on disc visible. I'll come back to this processing at a later stage anyway, but there is simply so much data and very little time at the moment (expect some cool animations too, including possibly 6 Saturn moons smile.gif )

We also won't share all results at this point, you have to be a bit patient for the next couple of weeks, but I assure you there will be plenty more to come, including very likely some raw data.

Attached Thumbnails

• image_89231.jpg

Edited by MvZ, 16 June 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• Sunspot, PrestonE, sfugardi and 18 others like this

#15 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

Now here comes the gorgeous processed images ... the details in the rings are magnificent, which is always what impresses me on Saturn at Pic du Midi ... :)

#16 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:51 AM

Just gorgeous!  The central region of the polar hex stands out quite nicely, there are several storms visible in the bands north of the equator and the crepe ring is just... wow!

#17 clivemilne

clivemilne

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Oz

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

You guys rock!

#18 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

Just saw the APOD for June 17th and wanted to congratulate the team for an awesome image!  

bow.gif yay.gif bow.gif yay.gif bow.gif

Edited by kbev, 17 June 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#19 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, my first APOD, even if "collective" through the Pic-Net team - here is the image for those who did not see it:
s2017_06_11picdp1024.jpg

• Sunspot, PrestonE, sfugardi and 11 others like this

#20 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

Mark, Emil,

this is a fantastic picture and congratulations to the team for this successful run.

There seems the be a tiny stacking artifact in the ansae of the Cassini division, the right side being different than the left side. The right side is closer looking to the HST pictures. Is there a way to fix this in AS3? Just curious.  

#21 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

I'm not exactly sure I see what you mean, I doubt there is any stacking error here to be honest. I know the ADC wasn't perfectly setup causing the PSF to be slightly elongated in a particular direction. Depending on whether or not it was 'in line' with the rings, this may have apparently blurred the image here and there a little bit more or less. This probably has caused some of what you mean (it likely changed over time a little bit as well).

There is nothing in AS!3 that can deal with this. Maybe some fancy deconvolution techniques could help, but I doubt we have the signal to noise ratio to get away with tricks like this. But I'll try sometime later of course.

#22 Peter L.

Peter L.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

It doesn't get much better than that second Saturn! Congratulations.

#23 Mirzam

Mirzam

Aurora

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Fine structure in the Crepe ring bow.gif

JimC

#24 rehling

rehling

Ranger 4

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

You know that a photograph is good when the first comparison that comes to mind is Voyager 1. WOW.

#25 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

Sorry for the silence, but we had to keep best mages for Europlanet press release ... now that it is out, we can then publish them: http://www.europlane...-press-release/

We kept Jupiter - Emil did a magnificent job on Ganymede and Jupiter (here are the real size images - we cannot get always them from the press release) :

Jupiter Pic du Midi.jpg

LINK to Larger Image 

An infrared anumation I did from the best moment of the second night (link only as this is a large file) :
http://www.astrosurf..._ir685b_pic.gif
and from the complete night:

Jupiter Pic du Midi 2 GIF.jpg

LINK to Large Image/GIF

An image in the methane absorption band from first night I find the detail level amazing (look at the white clouds around oval Ba or in the SEB, or the waves in the NEB) :

Jupiter Pic du Midi 3.jpg

LINK to Larger Image 

• PrestonE, sfugardi, Jeff B and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics