•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Design Change History

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

My understanding is that the Questar-made eyepieces offered for a brief period were of the Brandon optical design but not labeled with the word Brandon.

#52 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:43 AM

My understanding is that the Questar-made eyepieces offered for a brief period were of the Brandon optical design but not labeled with the word Brandon.

My 24mm eyepiece is marked “Questar 24mm E.F.L. U.S.A.” I have the Questar aluminum canisters for my eyepieces and they are marked “Questar Brandon 24mm E.F.L. U.S.A.” 

#53 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

Just received a recent (#4945) Field model with a barrel color I've never seen.  I'll call it "midnight blue" and in interior room light it looks as black as the anodized support ring.  Only a blue outdoor sky reveals the blue tinge.  The dew shield is much brighter and lighter blue.  This one was specially acquired to mount on my "Ralph" duplex mount that has a factory new 0-20-40 blue RA ring that's not quite suitable to host a purple barrel.

IMG 2498

• JHollJr likes this

#54 Hosea100

Hosea100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

Did I read somewhere that Questar will no longer be providing a red case with their new scopes?

#55 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

Not sure when but yes I’m told their supplier will no longer provide the current cases and they apparently will provide Pelican type cases.

#56 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

In my book, that's a blow from a nostalgia perspective, but not from a practical one. The old style case I got with my 50th is nice, but a Pelican case is so much more functional.

• JHollJr likes this

#57 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

I would imagine that offering a Pelican case in lieu of the more traditional leather/vinyl case is a simpler and easier thing for Questar to offer in terms of production. But I agree: it’s kind of a sad step. If one wanted the functionality of a Pelican case, one could always go out there and get it (as a number of folks indeed have). But to obtain a more traditional case as a supplement to a Pelican case that Questar will apparently offer as the stock option is a much more difficult undertaking.

#58 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

Not sure when but yes I’m told their supplier will no longer provide the current cases and they apparently will provide Pelican type cases.

Am I reading this right in thinking that it’s not Questar opting to dispense with the current case so much as it’s the supplier forcing this decision by no longer being willing to make it?

• spereira likes this

#59 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

Update:  Based on past classified listings, the last polished arm example was in 1986, and the first brushed arms were in 1987 (around 9200).  If anyone has a scope in the 9180-9290 range please let me know what the arm edge finish is.

For context, the leg hole plugs changed to flat in 1985.

#60 architel

architel

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: King County, WA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

9189 has polished edges on arms.  Invoice date 15 Dec. 1986.  Received 2 Jan 1987.

• Optics Patent likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics