•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Beautiful Mind and one of my very best friends

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

Ad Astra, Howie.  

• Scott in NC, csa/montana, bilgebay and 2 others like this

#27 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

Jon, thank you for posting the nice picture in your avatar and for sharing the story.

I will hold onto and cherish the Glatter Sling on my 18", my paralizer and my collimation tools.

From today forward, it'll be nice to put the laser collimator in the 18", turn on that red light, and say a silent thank you to Howie for allowing me and many others to start another night under the stars with the routine made simple by his creativity and willingness to share with all. Makes me wonder why I wasn't always that thankful - a good reminder to me.

Rest now, Howie - the fight's over. Prayers for him, friends and family.

Kevin

• Jon Isaacs, Mike B, George N and 3 others like this

#28 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Very sad news indeed. Luckily I had several chances to meet him and his wife at the Winter Star Party and at the Chiefland Star Party. Always an interesting and personable guy. His explanations of his products were the best. I remember one night at the Winter Star Party he and my good observing buddy got into a super heated political conversation which was beyond exciting. In the end he and my friend were also friends. What else would you expect from two New Yorkers? Sending out prayers to his wife and family. What a great guy and what a huge loss to our astronomical community. Rest in peace Howie and thank you for all of you contributions to our hobby.

BTW, I LOOOOOOOOVE my Glatter collimation tools. Thank you my friend.

• Vic Menard, Scott in NC, Mike B and 4 others like this

#29 Sloan

Sloan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

I met Howie at the 2016 Texas Star Party. I was interested in buying his laser collimator, but ended up buy it and the Tublug and Parallelizer. I thought I didn't need the dimmer switch until I used the collimator for the first time, then I understood the need for it. But alas Howie had already gone home. I called him up the next week and he sold me the dimmer at the TSP price. Really a great and knowledgeable guy to talk to. I noted that he wasn't at this years TSP and asked around if anyone knew why. Someone told me he had health problems. He will be greatly missed.

• Augustus likes this

#30 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Oh, no! 

I met Howie at Cherry Springs twice and Stellafane once.  He introduced me to Jon Joseph of Starlight Instruments after we had exchanged several ideas on components and Howie suggested that I might want to market a few of my ideas. 

He got very excited and animated each time we spoke at length, and if he started to get critical about issues that touched on the government, you could count on his wife to chime in from the background, "Howie,  NO POLITICS!"

I will miss him. 

• rboe, George N and crazyqban like this

#31 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:16 PM

I'm sad too, and quite shocked.

I looked forward to visiting with and observing with Howie every Okie-Tex and Winter Star Party, and to the dinners that he and his wife Poksun hosted at those events.  They were always memorable.  His products were the best available, IMO, and have been extremely important to me and my clients.  I will raise my beer mug to him tonight repeatedly and shed a few (more) tears.

Here is a photo of him at his booth at the Winter Star Party in 2015, with Poksun (had to ask Howie how to spell her name correctly) sitting in the background making sure he didn't start talking about politics with people!  This is how many knew him, but I was lucky enough to enjoy his company on many nights at Okie-Tex and WSP while enjoying the views through John Pratte's telescopes.  He was part of our observing group.

He is, and will be, dearly missed.  I will think of him every time I set up my telescope and put one of his products into the focuser.

There is a plan to continue his product line, but that's all that I can say at the moment, and I don't know exactly when that will happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• Howie_booth.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Vic Menard, Mark Harry and 18 others like this

#32 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

Very sad news!
My prayers to his family!
Howie lives forever!

All best from Croatia
  • Jon Isaacs and Augustus like this

#33 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

I am so very sorry to hear of this.  I was lucky enough to meet Howie at a couple of Okie-Tex parties.  He was so helpful, interesting, and fun to talk to.

Any of us who use the wonderful products he made (I have them all) know that we have suffered a very great loss.

Rest in peace, Howie.

• Augustus likes this

#34 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

Sad indeed frown.gif

He now has the best seat in the house with nothing but clear skies from now on and forever.  

RIP my friend.

Guylain

Edited by guyroch, 12 June 2017 - 11:46 PM.

• cwilson, steven_usa and Augustus like this

#35 Cary

Cary

Vendor (Optical Structures Inc.)

• ***--
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Our bodies betray our minds too quickly.   It is indeed a sad day.

• Jon Isaacs, Phil Cowell, BillShort and 4 others like this

#36 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

He will be missed, but not forgotten.

I have no doubt in my mind that my Glatter collimating tools will outlive me by a long margin. The man was passionate about the hobby and about creating solid and indestructible tools for our hobby.

My condolences to his family...

• Augustus likes this

#37 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:37 AM

RIP, Howie. You will be missed by family, friends and the astronomical community in general. Howie was always interesting and entertaining to talk to. I will think of him every time I use one of his very fine products.

• Augustus likes this

#38 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:07 AM

What a great loss! I was very fortunate to know him personally. He was a great soul! 

My condolences to his family. Rest in Peace Howie!

• Augustus likes this

#39 Andrew Keeley

Andrew Keeley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, AB

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:48 AM

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I spoke with him on the phone and through email several times. He was always such a friendly and helpful guy. He once told me that if ever I dropped my collimator, I would probably have to return it to him for realignment. A few years later, it rolled off a table and hit concrete. I checked it by rotating it on a V-block and was stunned to find that I couldn't detect the slightest misalignment at almost 100ft. It was extremely well made and there was absolutely no need to return it. I still have it and a 2" tuBlug, and I will never part with either of them. Thank you Howie!

Andy.

Edited by Andrew Keeley, 13 June 2017 - 01:57 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#40 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

Oh, my! Terrible news at the passing of such a bright star here on Earth. I've know Howie and his wife for years. Had my tent next to theirs at my very first star party. Howie was a "mensch", to be sure and we will ALL miss him. His contribution to astronomy cannot be tangibly measured and we may all feel the impact in the years to come. Rest peacefully now, Howie. The Universe may never be as quite in focus again as it was when you were among us. Glad and lucky to have been a friend as well as a customer of yours...

• Augustus likes this

#41 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Viking 1

• Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:58 AM

I'm saddened to hear that Howie has left us far to soon. Missed you for years but will think of you all the more, peace to you and yours.
  • Augustus likes this

#42 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

I can only echo what everyone has said about Howie.  A true innovator, but most importantly, a genuinely nice guy.  That's a rare combination these days, and we are all a little poorer for his leaving us.

Years ago, when I was writing an edition of my book Star Ware, I contacted him to ask about his collimator.  I also asked if I could borrow one for a while to do an evaluation, and would return it at that year's Stellafane.  It arrived and I did the evaluation.  When Stellafane rolled around, as promised I returned the collimator to him.  He told me "forget it, it's a gift."  I did keep it -- though I am quick to add that I did pay for it.  But that generosity was reflected in his daily life.

His mission in life was to let us enjoy the stars a little more.  Mission accomplished, Howie.  Good job!

Next time, when we each look skyward, let's pause for a moment and consider that Howie is looking back down on us.  And smiling.

Edited by PhilH, 14 June 2017 - 03:30 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, nicknacknock, BoldAxis1967 and 1 other like this

#43 Chucky

Chucky

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

This is exceedingly sad-sad news.  I had the opportunity to observe/long talk with Howie at the last two Chiefland, Florida star parties.  Those times were the best.

At the WSP Howie thanked me for showing him several double stars.  He gave me several collimator attachments.  

This one hurts.  I'll always think of Howie whenever I use one of his fine alignment tools.

#44 Astronorm

Astronorm

Vendor (Normand Fullum Telescopes)

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

I just learned the sad sad news :-(  I meet Howie under the stars at Stellafane many years ago and our long distance friendship was very dear to me. We had LONG discussions on many topic regarding telescope making and optics among other subjects like music, politic, life,  peace and love. All my toughs are to Pok Sun,  she is the real SUN of his life.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Normand

• Jon Isaacs, George N, JS999R and 2 others like this

#45 precaud

precaud

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Sad, indeed. My interactions with Howie were always fun and to-the-point. He will live on in the memory of all who knew him, and who benefited from his creations.

• Augustus likes this

#46 StarStructure Telescopes

StarStructure Telescopes

Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Inverness Florida

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

I only had the pleasure of meeting Howie 3 or 4 times. I really can't say that I knew him...but if there's one thing I will always remember about Howie is he always greeted you with a smile and had a happiness about him that made you feel good. He will truly be missed!!

My sincere condolences to his family.

Mike Z.

Edited by StarStructure Telescopes, 13 June 2017 - 07:53 AM.

• Vic Menard, Doug McIntosh and Augustus like this

#47 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Here's shot of Howie I took at the Cherry Springs Star Party in 2015 while he was showing me his wares.  The picture has a bit of background glare, but he has his classic "How cool is that?!" expression.

Howie CSSP 2015.jpg

• George N, Fhuyu, bilgebay and 2 others like this

#48 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

I never meet Howie Glatter, but from watching him on YouTube I pictured him as an "old hippie". Interesting that my impression has been at least partly confirmed.

I use several of his tools: Parallizer, Tubug, Collimator.

With several threads discussing when was or if this is the "golden age of Amateur Astronomy" or "has A. A. peaked" I have often thought that even though I have only been into this hobby for a few years (5 yrs) that this (the past 10-15 years or so) seems to me like a golden age and Howie Glatter was one key ingredient of that recipe. 

L.

Edited by BoldAxis1967, 13 June 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• JS999R and Augustus like this

#49 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

Words fail me.

He was my friend, and I will miss him.

My condolences to Pacsun, to his family, and to his many friends.

Howie's inextinguishable light will live on in our hearts, and in the stars.

• Jon Isaacs, csa/montana, Jeff B and 6 others like this

#50 J Lowrey

J Lowrey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Davis Texas

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

I am with Vic words fail me also!

What a true friend he was to me.  I will miss our many observing session under the West Texas skies.

He made a lasting impact and contribution to amateur astronomy.

Connie and I send out heart felt condolences to Pocsun

• Vic Menard and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics