•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Beautiful Mind and one of my very best friends

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#101 MidMoAstro

MidMoAstro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Missouri

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

For the past several years I had the pleasure to camp next to Howie and Pok Sun at Okie-Tex. It was a delight getting to know them and doing a bit of observing together. Howie was always ready to help and had his ear tuned to the pulse of the hobby. His creativity was evident.  He will be sorely missed. My condolences to Pok Sun.

• frivera3 likes this

#102 Sheldon

Sheldon

Sputnik

• Loc: Broken Arrow, OK

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

I had just met Howie at OKIE TEX 2016.  His wife kept telling my "No Politics - No Politics" as Howie went on about every imaginable event eligible for conspiracy hunters.  He was so animated and expressive.  I had no idea that it would be my last time to ever see him.

Here in Tulsa we recently lost someone very special in our club - Chris Proctor.  He had been in charge of running the dome / scope on visitor nights, but had been ill.  I never got to see him again.  He died at home of an illness we had all thought he was slowly overcoming.  Tomorrow night I'll be in the dome doing the show again - stumbling through and remembering how easily it is to take for granted the pieces of humanity who leave us wondering what the next move is.

These two recently departed souls were so special to those who opened themselves to their unique spectra.  I did not know either well but appreciated them both enough to know that the brunt of the loss will remain far greater among those who considered them their closest friends. As time and friends pass, I do my best to shed whatever stains and scars of intolerance, arrogance, and egotism stubbornly cling to me.  Loss - the great teacher it is - is loathe to welcome but certain above all.  Howie and Chris: Your lives continue in our memory.

• frivera3 and dn3300 like this

#103 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this news.  I observed with Howie many times as he was a member of the Catskills Astronomy Club and will remember those times fondly. I still have the laser pointer and bracket he gave me to mount on my C8 so he could point his scope to what I was looking at.  He will be missed.  I'll add a few pictures in his honor.

One shows him in Livingston Manor, NY testing out his prototype bino PST.  Another shows him talking to Rob Teeter about the scope Rob brought to one of our observing sessions at Walnut Mountain Park in Liberty, NY.  

Attached Thumbnails

• PST Bino.jpg
  • Howie and Rob.jpg

Edited by John Kocijanski, 16 June 2017 - 08:46 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, frivera3, WaterMaster and 1 other like this

#104 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

One more picture to honor Howie.  Here is a shot of his 18 inch Obsession.  He would bring in once in a while to our observation sessions.  An awesome scope.  He usually brought his 10 inch Coulter.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Howies Obsession.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, frivera3, WaterMaster and 1 other like this

#105 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

I became worried about the situation in April.  I finally needed a new battery for my Glatter Collimator and had to look at his website to remember the type.  I saw a notice "not taking orders at this time, sorry for the inconvenience".  I dashed off an e-mail wishing him well.  At TSP I noticed his absence, but rumor had it he was recuperating from back surgery, which explained the hiatus in orders, but seemingly recovering well.  So much for rumors.  

I knew him from conversations at TSP and always enjoyed seeing he and his wife.  I have recommended his products numerous times, both here and in the physical world.  I once said they were machined so well one would think they were jewelry or sculpture rather than equipment.  His products reflect the man.  My sorrow to Pak Sun.  

The roof to my observatory is open, cooling down.  I'll have to collect myself before I can go out to observe.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

• frivera3, dn3300 and Augustus like this

#106 Starry Messenger

Starry Messenger

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Vermont

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:27 AM

I had the pleasure of Howie's company every year at Stellafane, where we would invite him for our Friday night feast up on the hill (Vermont Astronomical Society and Green Mountain Astronomers), and at NEAF. At NEAF this past April, he did not look to be himself, to be sure. Howie unexpectedly donated a 14nw green laser pointer to our club's restoration project, a 6" Unitron Model 620, the only 620 still working with the the original weight-driven clock drive. We'll all dearly miss him, and the great discussions we would have. Howie, here's to you!
  • George N, frivera3 and Augustus like this

#107 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

Howie will always whisper personally to me every time I hear the "whoosh" of the perfectly machined, perfectly fitting 2" laser collimator going into my reflector's focuser.

So true!

I never had the pleasure/honor of meeting the man, but like so many, have been significantly touched by the labor of his love- as so clearly conveyed thru the tools he has crafted. Indeed, a common theme among so many!

To think i fiddled with less than the best in collimation tools for so long... once introduced to the "real stuff" (laser & TuBlug), falling in love with his handiwork was nearly instantaneous! And the reminder is faithfully there at the beginning of every session. Because of their solid design & build, i expect they will be for longer than i will.

Howie, if you were somehow able to follow this thread- Thank you!... a thousand times over, and still counting!

Condolences to his wife, family & close friends. If so many are missing him for his skillful contributions, as stellar as they are, the personal loss must be tremendous. Our thots & prayers go with you.

• frivera3 likes this

#108 geofizzy

geofizzy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:05 PM

I'm so very saddened by this news.  Thanks to Jeffrey Norwood for letting us all know through his thoughtful and insightful posting.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Howie on a number of occasions, most recently at NEAF in April, when it was clear that he was very ill.  The fact that he was there at all revealed the depth of his passion for what he did and his joy in interacting with others who share his passion.  Despite his illness, he remained the delightful and enthusiastic person so many of us had come to know and my chat with him was a highlight of my weekend at NEAF.  His mechanical and optical artistry were remarkable: I'm reminded of that every time I employ his collimation tools, which are both superbly designed and a delight to use.  Above all, he will be greatly missed as a deeply likable person and one of the real characters associated with amateur astronomy.  

Dan Davis

• frivera3 likes this

#109 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

I always checked out his table at NEAF when I used to attend a few years ago, but did not consider buying his tools until awhile back  on a whim was fortunate to purchase a Glatter TuBlug and Barlowed laser.  Since then I have wondered how I got by without those wonderful collimation tools  made  by a fellow New Yorker from the Bronx.   

His family and the astronomy community have my deepest condolences. 

• frivera3 likes this

#110 psandelle

psandelle

Vanguard

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

A really good guy: always nice, helpful, sincere. My thoughts and wishes go out to his family. Definitely will be missed.

Paul

• frivera3 likes this

#111 Camcon101

Camcon101

Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

Howie's memorial service was this past monday. I thought I should share his eulogy with you:

Our worlds will never quite be the same again.
Howie touched each of our lives in very different ways and to varying degrees but one thing everyone of us can say for sure: our lives were better for having known him.
The sun will burn a little less brightly.
Our lives will be tinted a bit grayer.
The heavens will not hold quite as much wonder for us and this world will suffer a bit for having lost him.
Howie had a life I believe we all wish for.
A life full of purpose.
A life full of love, of liberty, of happiness, and also, even, of  health.
A life where we have some affect, where we touch  each other in ways that are significant.
His life was meaningful and we should all take a lesson from it.
He taught us to think deeply and to live for the moment.
Indeed, he taught us to relish the present, be guarded about the future and look back on the past only with joy.
Howie Glatter was a free spirit.
An independent thinker,
An accomplished individual with absolutely nothing to prove
A noble individual with high ideals and no patience for mediocrity, indifference, apathy or impassivity
He had an ever-inquisitive mind that thirsted for knowledge incessantly: he was a true inventer.
He was a humble man who always had a ready smile and was always there with a heartfelt hug.
I enjoyed completely every conversation I ever had with this man as I know so did all of you.
How did he manage to have that affect on us?
I do believe it is because the man never spoke merely for the sake of speaking.
So many people merely talk with the sole purpose of making noise.
They fill our eardrums with meaningless and trite conversation that acts only as verbal filler material.
Howie not only spoke in a meaningful way but he listened.
The conversation was never about HIM.
He was always fully engaged in the discourse.
Unfortunately, conversation such as this is so refreshing and rare these days that we are pleasantly shocked and surprised when we meet up with it. Those dialogues with him will run in my head for the rest of my days and I will cherish their memory.
Those days, however, are now over and we must pick up the pieces and remember him each in our own way.
Now is the time that we must hold him close in our hearts and minds. Now is the time to focus on PokSun and her loving family and be there for them for as long as they need us.
Our time here on earth is tragically short so let us put to use 3 things that Howie taught us by his example: Hold each other close and tight, savor every blessed moment, and question everything in an effort to find truth.
As a very wise woman told me only yesterday, humans have inhabited this earth for over 200,000 years. Aren’t we incredibly lucky to have been here for exactly the same period of time that Howie did?
Goodbye dear friend. You have left us in a bad state, but somehow we will carry on and we will never forget you.

• Jon Isaacs, Jim7728, DeanS and 12 others like this

#112 okietwisterdan

okietwisterdan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

RIP fellow stargazer.

• frivera3 likes this

#113 laurieg456

laurieg456

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Such a beautiful eulogy Jeff... It is exactly how we feel about Howie.    It is uplifting to read all the heart felt comments, Roger and I hope to make our way to more star parties when we acquire an rv...  and we look forward to meeting many of you.   

• frivera3 likes this

#114 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: 1AU

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for your contributions to this planet, Howie. 

Your friend,

Greg

• frivera3 likes this

#115 astrocrafter

astrocrafter

Vendor (JP Astrocraft)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

The following was submitted by Bob Holmes of ARI to name an asteroid he discovered for Howie.

(327989) 2007 GC32

Proposed Name: HowieGlatter

Submitted:2017-06-21 14:26:43 UTC

Submitter: ari

Proposed citation:

Charles Howard Glatter, "Howie Glatter" (b.1946) was a compassionate, charismatic and very talented New York-based entrepreneur who developed and manufactured some of astronomy's most sought after state-of-the art collimation tools. He was also an inventor of several other innovative astronomy products that advanced amateur astronomy. He was someone that was always greeted with smiles and intellectual curiosity by others and will be missed by many.

The submission to the IAU will take about 90 days to become official.

Brianfromsyracuse and Dave Cotterell came up with the idea, and Bob Schilling, Don Pensack, Roger Greenwood and Jeff Norwood wrote the citation.

John Pratte

• Relativist, Jon Isaacs, Nils Olof Carlin and 15 others like this

#116 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• frivera3 likes this

#117 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Ditto

• frivera3 likes this

#118 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

RIP Howie. We had some good times in NY. You'll always be remembered. 

• frivera3 likes this

#119 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I firt met Howie at RTMC in 1999. HE educated me on green laser pointers and I purchased one from him. It is an excellent tool for astronomy outreach and I thnk of him every time I use it. Juiced to 14 MW and labelled as 5 MW, they are not available now.

• frivera3 likes this

#120 TopQ

TopQ

Vostok 1

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

I have spent so many hours collimating my telescopes with your tools its is all second nature to me now. 

Your inspiration will continue to live in all those you touch with your products and ideas.

You will be remember but more importantly you will be missed!!!

So long Howie

Bruno

• frivera3 likes this

#121 sizematters

sizematters

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greenbrier, AR

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

RIP Howie. Even though I only knew you through this site and email, I can tell you were a great person, helper, and inspiration to many astronomers/people. Took my breath away to see that you had passed when only weeks ago we were emailing.

• frivera3 likes this

#122 kfrederick

kfrederick

Soyuz

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Great friend  so sad    Talked at this years WSP  

• frivera3 likes this

#123 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:30 PM

RIP Howie...

Secondary

Primary

• frivera3 likes this

#124 Camcon101

Camcon101

Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

I am very pleased to inform you all that arrangements have been made to have Starlight Instruments produce the full line of quality Glatter Collimators and accessories for the future. Who else but Starlight would be better qualified to create these finely crafted tools that have always been considered to be the finest collimating tools on the market. Starlight’s precision machining capabilities will be sure to secure the production of a collimator that is equal to or perhaps even better than the product that Howie lovingly produced every year. In point of fact, and you may or may not have known this, but Starlight Instruments has been making a number of Glatter products such as the Parallizer and Tublug for many years.
    Howie’s family and the staff at Camera Concepts and Telescopes are very pleased that Starlight has agreed to keep Howie's life work alive and, in the process, grant Howie's widow, PokSun,  a modest income from it.I hope and pray that this joint agreement will be mutually beneficial to both PokSun and Starlight for many years to come. They are currently  working very hard to get production started and hope to have the many, many backorders to be filled very shortly. Keep watching this thread for future developments and announcements concerning their progress. Anyone wishing to place preorders for any of Howie’s products may do so on either the Starlight Instruments website OR on our website at www.CameraConcepts.com OR by simply calling me at 631-475-1118.

Jeff Norwood
CCTS Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

• Relativist, Jon Isaacs, Nils Olof Carlin and 11 others like this

#125 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:09 AM

Jeff,

Very good news.

I'll call you tomorrow.

Regards,

Don Pensack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics