•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Beautiful Mind and one of my very best friends

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#126 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

The following was submitted by Bob Holmes of ARI to name an asteroid he discovered for Howie.

(327989) 2007 GC32

Proposed Name: HowieGlatter

Submitted:2017-06-21 14:26:43 UTC

Submitter: ari

Proposed citation:

Charles Howard Glatter, "Howie Glatter" (b.1946) was a compassionate, charismatic and very talented New York-based entrepreneur who developed and manufactured some of astronomy's most sought after state-of-the art collimation tools. He was also an inventor of several other innovative astronomy products that advanced amateur astronomy. He was someone that was always greeted with smiles and intellectual curiosity by others and will be missed by many.

The submission to the IAU will take about 90 days to become official.

Brianfromsyracuse and Dave Cotterell came up with the idea, and Bob Schilling, Don Pensack, Roger Greenwood and Jeff Norwood wrote the citation.

John Pratte

This is such great news!!

Dave

• Jon Isaacs, George N, kenkolen and 3 others like this

#127 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:58 AM

I am very pleased to inform you all that arrangements have been made to have Starlight Instruments produce the full line of quality Glatter Collimators and accessories for the future. Who else but Starlight would be better qualified to create these finely crafted tools that have always been considered to be the finest collimating tools on the market. Starlight’s precision machining capabilities will be sure to secure the production of a collimator that is equal to or perhaps even better than the product that Howie lovingly produced every year. In point of fact, and you may or may not have known this, but Starlight Instruments has been making a number of Glatter products such as the Parallizer and Tublug for many years.
    Howie’s family and the staff at Camera Concepts and Telescopes are very pleased that Starlight has agreed to keep Howie's life work alive and, in the process, grant Howie's widow, PokSun,  a modest income from it.I hope and pray that this joint agreement will be mutually beneficial to both PokSun and Starlight for many years to come. They are currently  working very hard to get production started and hope to have the many, many backorders to be filled very shortly. Keep watching this thread for future developments and announcements concerning their progress. Anyone wishing to place preorders for any of Howie’s products may do so on either the Starlight Instruments website OR on our website at www.CameraConcepts.com OR by simply calling me at 631-475-1118.

Jeff Norwood
CCTS Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

I greet this news with a big smile.  Well done, Jon Joseph, for taking on this responsibility!!  

Dave

• Jon Isaacs, DeanS, George N and 3 others like this

#128 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

I've beeb away on vacation and have been catching up the past few days. I just saw this. So sad.

sigh2.gif  Peace!

• frivera3 likes this

#129 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

I spoke to Howie three months ago about:

1. His parallelizer 

2. His binocular nebula filters (he only sourced 60 of these from Kasai Trading and I owned one of them) 

What a cheerful and helpful person! These are the kind of people who make our hobby great.

RIP.

Didn't know he made a binocular nebula?

• frivera3 likes this

#130 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Only spoke to him a couple of times, back in 2001-2 I think? Read his small ad and bought a Laser pointer from him and later a finder bracket for it he made. We spoke for a while as I was in the camera business back then. My Laser still works fine!

RIP Howie.

• frivera3 likes this

#131 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

I just learned of Howie's passing, and am very sorry to hear of it. 

I had a few exchanges with him here on CN and also by e-mail, and treasure my Howie Glatter tools for the elegant, finely wrought pieces they are.  

Howie, you will be remembered every time I turn on that red dot!

• frivera3 likes this

#132 tfield98

tfield98

Vendor (Field Tested Software)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

When I saw this news, my first thought was I'd write something here special because, after all, I was a a rare good friend of Howie's.  

Or so I thought...  Good friend. Yes. Rare good friend?  No.

When I read the thread, I found that so many, many of us feel the same way - that we were good friends with Howie.

It has occurred to me over the years, and this Howie confirmed it:  Rare and to be honored is the person who does good in the world, makes so many, many people feel like a good friend, special, and heard.  Howie was one of those people.

Always quick to laugh, brilliant, eccentric in a lovable way, and most of all, someone who made a difference in the world: lighting up hearts, engaging minds, giving, giving, giving and always interested and energetic. 

One of the fun things about being a vendor is that I get to set up my booth at NEAF, WSP with other venues behind the scenes before the doors open.  Because that means I get to hang out with the giants who are some of our community's vendors.   Howie was one of them. I always looked forward to Howie's smile, warm greeting, and outstretched hand. 

I see from this thread that I'm not alone in that.

I'll miss him. Heck, we'll miss him.

Tom Field

Edited by tfield98, 18 July 2017 - 07:16 AM.

• frivera3 and JS999R like this

#133 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'll miss him. Heck, we'll miss him.

Tom Field

Yeah.

Who ever thought of Howie as A Vendor ? He was just an ATM who sold stuff. I loved our chats.

Steve

• tfield98 and frivera3 like this

#134 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

What can I say that hasn’t already been said about Howie.

So I’ll share the first time I meet Howie at Stellafane a few years back.

We (Vermont Astronomers) invited Howie to our annual Turkey Dinner at Stellafane.

They introduced me to Howie. Howie asked me where I was originally from. I told him

NYC. What part, I said the Bronx. He said me too. He asked me what HS I want to? I replied 

De Witt Clinton. Me too he said. We  instantly bonded. We compared dates and Howie and 

I where  atttended the school at the same time. 5000 male students in the school at that time,so our paths didn’t cross. We shared jokes and reminiscing about the school. And we both sang our school Alma mater.

Howie was a great guy and I’m glad I had some time to hang out with him.

Peace,

Larry

Edited by Far-Out, 15 October 2017 - 11:12 AM.

• George N and guyroch like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics