•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to create a Corona Image like this?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

What kind of post processing is required to create an image like this?

16373918574_3ab9ef1746_b.jpgoo inc. proudly presents: Corona from Svalbard by ole.ott_inc, on Flickr

I understand I will need bracketed RAW images but I don't see this type of image very much and can't find anything that goes into detail regarding how it was created. 

Does anyone have any insight into this?

I plan on shooting the eclipse with my Sony a7Rii, Canon 300/2.8 IS ii and 2X teleconverter for a 600mm/5.6 combo. The 42 MP Sony gives me a lot of crop-ability. I have my Thousand Oaks filter on order and will get a few baseline shots of the full sun prior to the eclipse so I can devise my full plan (and run it by this group to make sure I am not missing anything).

• szigler511 likes this

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

Looks like a painting, not a photograph?

If real, some major post processing going on here!

• LesB and tk421 like this

#3 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

I agree. It looks like a lot of PP went into this. 

Check out this link from MrEclipse.com. Is this not a similar type photo?

SE-35mmScale1w.JPG

Edited by tk421, 13 June 2017 - 12:47 PM.

• REC likes this

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

Broadly speaking, it's an HDR technique.  Maybe someone can give us the details.

• tk421 likes this

#5 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

The explanation given on how that shot was accomplished, is explained here, at the source:

http://www.zam.fme.v...00mm/0-info.htm

• LesB and tk421 like this

#6 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thank you. I am going to have to take a few more seconds to decode some of that. Wow. That is some work.

#7 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I will be creating shots very similar with my own gear, come August 21.

• tk421 likes this

#8 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Here you go:

http://www.russellbr.../tips_tech.html

Russel Brown's eclipse techniques using radial blur and layers.  Second tutorial down.

Edited by APshooter, 13 June 2017 - 03:56 PM.

• tk421 likes this

#9 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thank you. That's easy enough and good enough for me. I appreciate you posting that link.

Here you go:

http://www.russellbr.../tips_tech.html

Russel Brown's eclipse techniques using radial blur and layers. Second tutorial down.

#10 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

No problem!  I plan on using it myself.  smile.gif

Here's a handy .pdf that I couldn't post from my smartphone last night!

http://www.aldebaran.../phseclipse.pdf

Edited by APshooter, 14 June 2017 - 08:19 AM.

• REC and tk421 like this

#11 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Viking 1

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Thanks, all!

I clicked on this thread because I was looking for exactly what the OP was asking about, too!

grin.gif

• tk421 likes this

#12 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Any way to write a script that does both actions in one? Maybe I should say does anyone know how to combine the actions into one? I like the result. :-) I don't have any experience with actions but I am adding this to my list.

Anyone also want to comment on what range and number of photos they are going to take to achieve this? Is more better? I can easily get 20 photos like this in 30 seconds or from 1/4000 to 1/2 second. 

#13 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

No problem!  I plan on using it myself.  smile.gif

Here's a handy .pdf that I couldn't post from my smartphone last night!

http://www.aldebaran.../phseclipse.pdf

I will plan on viewing your images.

Can you imagine how many post's there will be on Monday night! CN may crash!

• tk421 likes this

#14 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Anyone also want to comment on what range and number of photos they are going to take to achieve this? Is more better? I can easily get 20 photos like this in 30 seconds or from 1/4000 to 1/2 second. 

Miloslav posted instructions for people wanting to submit data for the 2009 eclipse here. You could use that as a guide for the exposures you'll need to aim for a similar result.

Steve.

• tk421 likes this

#15 44ye

44ye

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: MACKINAW TOWNSHIP CHEBOYGAN CO MI

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

The photo was taken by Miloslav Druckmüller  his home page link

http://www.zam.fme.v...druck/Index.htm

Eclipse photography homepage

http://www.zam.fme.v...lipse/Index.htm

software  Astro D3F 2.0, PhaseCorr 6.0, LDIC 5.0, Corona 4.1, Sofo ACC 6.1 

Hoping for clear skies

44ye

Edited by 44ye, 14 June 2017 - 03:37 PM.

• tk421 likes this

#16 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

Miloslav posted instructions for people wanting to submit data for the 2009 eclipse here. You could use that as a guide for the exposures you'll need to aim for a similar result.

Steve.

Thanks! This forum is the BEST!! 

• REC likes this

#17 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Those guys are maniacs but wow, what a great result!  I admit to having too little patience or attention to detail to capture and process such an amazing image.  Bravo!

#18 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

There are definitely two classes of eclipse photos. Drukmuller's and everybody else. The good news is that what you see with even a modest telescope is closer to what Drukmuller creates than most of us are capable of producing. That's why for me, the visual is so important which is the opposite to my normal astronomical interests. For an eclipse, the photograph is a reminder of what I witnessed.

Steve.

• FXM and REC like this

#19 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

Any way to write a script that does both actions in one? Maybe I should say does anyone know how to combine the actions into one? I like the result. :-) I don't have any experience with actions but I am adding this to my list.

If you know what steps are to be taken in a give action, combining those actions into a larger script isn't hard.  You need to create a new action, then hit record.  Put in the steps as outlined in the original 'formula'.  Close with either a save as or simply have the script stop.

As far as how many exposures, I plan to use SetnC to take exposures of 2000,1000,500,250, 125, 60,30, 1 sec, 2,4,6,8seconds.  I think I can get at least 2 complete run-throughs for totality.

#20 retina boy

retina boy

Messenger

• Loc: Bryan, Texas

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

The photo was taken by Miloslav Druckmüller  his home page link

http://www.zam.fme.v...druck/Index.htm

Eclipse photography homepage

http://www.zam.fme.v...lipse/Index.htm

software  Astro D3F 2.0, PhaseCorr 6.0, LDIC 5.0, Corona 4.1, Sofo ACC 6.1 

Hoping for clear skies

44ye

Does anybody know anything about these software programs?  There are some vague references on the net but certainly nothing that one can use. Are these Druckmüller specific programs?  I know I cannot hope to duplicate his results but I would like to come close.  It looks like there is some serious deconvolition and sharpening going on. I have read his instructions but they are really just for data gathering. 

#21 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

There are definitely two classes of eclipse photos. Drukmuller's and everybody else. The good news is that what you see with even a modest telescope is closer to what Drukmuller creates than most of us are capable of producing. That's why for me, the visual is so important which is the opposite to my normal astronomical interests. For an eclipse, the photograph is a reminder of what I witnessed.

Steve.

I just looked at some of them, amazing! Makes you wonder why bother to waste time trying to shoot the eclipse when you know other pro's will be out doing their thing?

#22 RutileQ

RutileQ

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I've been wondering how much different a corona image would look processed with stack of bracketed images in an off the shelf HDR program like Luminance, compared to the custom processing of the original image above.  

There is this IDL routine, I want to try to work through and see if I can get it running.  I conceivably won't have access to my computer for over week after the eclipse, unless I pick up cheap small laptop for travelling, which might be rather frustrating.

https://hesperia.gsf...aia_rfilter.pro

I think this paper outlines the basic technique used by several different processors, or at least, the theory behind one technique.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.6613.pdf

• retina boy likes this

#23 retina boy

retina boy

Messenger

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Ok. I feel like I may be in over my pay grade. I read the paper and it is fairly understandable. However, I do not really understand how one gets started on image processing on such I granular level.  If he is using IDL to process the images, we will have to get up to speed with raw processing of files in IDL.   Is the IDL code you posted the one mentioned in the Morgan/Druckmüller paper?  If you can get that running, what would you practice on?  I do not have any corona images in tiff/bmp format to play with. 

#24 RutileQ

RutileQ

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Ok. I feel like I may be in over my pay grade. I read the paper and it is fairly understandable. However, I do not really understand how one gets started on image processing on such I granular level.  If he is using IDL to process the images, we will have to get up to speed with raw processing of files in IDL.   Is the IDL code you posted the one mentioned in the Morgan/Druckmüller paper?  If you can get that running, what would you practice on?  I do not have any corona images in tiff/bmp format to play with. 

I don't know if the NASA code is related to the Morgan/Druckmüller code, but both are using IDL.  I don't know if it's completely necessary to use IDL to produce a reasonable high dynamic range and structure corona image, but at least with that paper and code, you can see what processing steps they are using. Photoshop actions are just so many black boxes to me.   I have access to IDL, and I might try to get the NASA IDL code running with some other high dynamic range images, just to see if I can actually implement the code, regardless of whether or not the output makes sense.  There is a GNU version of IDL, but I don't know how comparable the code is between the two.

Best thing would be if someone had available a series of solar corona images to practice with, but I don't know of any visible image datasets from previous eclipses.  The Solar Dynamics Observatory may have UV datasets that would work as analogs, I'd have to delve into their databases to look.   I'd firstly like to see what a run of the mill HDR program can produce.   Of course, the Megamovie project images will be available after the fact.  

If I'm not driven out of my planned eclipse location by fires or persistent thunderstorms, I'll have two cameras shooting landscape images to work with first, and working on the telephoto corona images as a stack will probably be something I work on for a few months, more for my own satisfaction and curiosity than because I think I'll be able to duplicate the pros' images.  My landscape images will, I think, be fairly unique.  I'm sure my location will have a fair number of people, but I'd like to think my practice with partial solar, and lunar eclipses (mostly, learning from my mistakes!) will let me produce a couple of pretty good full sequence images.  I do have a really ugly, and large, air conditioning vent on my ceiling, that we never use, that I'd love to cover up with a big beautiful solar corona image though.  I figure I can work up some way to attach a foamboard print with magnets so it could be removed for the three days a year we want to use the AC.  

#25 retina boy

retina boy

Messenger

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

Well I will be following Druckmüller's instructions for image capture during the eclipse so I am sure, if the conditions hold up, I will have reasonable data.  I am fairly facile with Photoshop and MaxIm so I will try that way but if you crack the IDL routines please speak up.  I have a large spot on my office wall that will receive an image from this eclipse.  I would love it if this image was a good one. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics