•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

I don't know if I'm in the right section as I'm having issues with the way this site is displayed, would a celestron autogider work for astrophotography or do I need to get correct mount,because of the weight of a vx mount I'd rather use a autogider, I've read users doing this have been very satisfied, anyone have any experience with this,any help and suggestions please.

#2 xiando

xiando

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

The AVX supports autoguiding. I can't speak for the specific product itself. Most people around here (I think), including myself, use more "conventional" guiding consisting of a guide scope (or Off-axis guider, ie OAG), guide camera, and their computer, via PHD guiding or a similar autoguiding program to achieve the goal. It *seems like it'd do the job, but in terms of "go-ahead", I'd wait for confirmation from more experienced users who might have direct experience with this product. 

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

The way you are phrasing the questin indicates you need a bit more to look into before you start astroimaging.

We had a show on the Astro Imaging Channel the other day that may be of value to you.

https://youtu.be/qH3CSvqp6fs

And, you will find a whole forum dedicated to astrophotography iin the Astrophotography and Sketching section here on Cloudy Nights, below.

Alex

#4 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Check out this thread in the Beginning Imaging forum.  It adresses most, if not all, of the equipment and recommendations for beginning imagers.

https://www.cloudyni...drails/?hl=keep me off the rails

#5 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the advice,I have recently bought a Pentax ks-2 dslr for astrophotography, I've never used this brand before but it's very good for low light,does anyone have experience with this camera? What would be the best settings to put it in to get the best pictures of planets and galaxies and stars, I have a range of lenses, upto 300mm zoom lens, can anyone please help with advice on what set up and balance settings to set to get the best pics out of the camera, thanks

#6 overnight

overnight

Apollo

• Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Turn off all noise reduction.

Set the White Balance to daylight if its there.

RAW + JPEG if its avaliable.

Using zoom lenses will get no detail on planets. You'll capture Jupiter's moons, but that's it. You still need a mount....

I don't think you understand autoguiding. Autoguiding will only work with mounts that are capable of it, like the AVX and the expensive EQs.

Second, do not get the Advanced VX if possible. Spend more, its really worth it.

#7 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info,the autogider I found is over complicated and you have to mount it on a heavy holder which is not ideal for the scope,I looked into it because I really didn't want to get a heavy German mount, but I've come to realise that I may aswell put the weight issue behind me and spend however much I have to for a good mount, I know that it's worth the money for the type of astrophotography I do,wedges are a nightmare to work with,you have to polar align it,it doesn't work but it's not easy getting it right,and to do that on a daily basis, makes sense to spend the money wise on a German eq mount, my setup now so far is, 6se telescope, plossl series 500 green broadband film lenses 4mm upto 40mm,I would recommend these lenses to everyone, the clarity is shocking, a few celestron omni lenses which are brilliant two,2x-3x-5x Barlow,7 different colour filters, nikon D3300 dslr, just recently got myself a Pentax ks -3 dslr which I'm new to but leaves the nikon in the dust in all areas, and I have a celestron neximage cmos colour burst camera for planetary imaging and stars,galaxies, I have the mounts for the dslr cameras,is there anything else besides the German mount which I will get shortly that I need to improve my hobby pleasure of viewing and astroimaging,any advice on anything I need further or camera update, any advice or recommendation please,

#8 overnight

overnight

Apollo

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Its going to be complicated and expensive and heavy. If you can't live with those things, you can't do AP. wink.gif

Autoguider is a must. Heavy GEM or Fork is also a must. They require polar aligning. There is no streamlined way.

First, EPs are not lenses. They are eyepieces.

6SE: don't use for AP

EPs and Barlows and filters: don't use for AP

Only thing you really have for AP are your camera lenses and cameras.

Just start with this: https://www.bhphotov...m=Y&sku=1092106

and an intervalometer.

Software: Use DSS, and find a processing program.

Edited by overnight, 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#9 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

I made a typing error,the wedge does work to a point but it's goto be polar aligned correctly which is a pain,also the new Pentax dslr is the ks-2 series not the ks-3 which I typed by accident, any advice welcome on anything extra or update I need or could do for better results.

#10 overnight

overnight

Apollo

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

All EQs have to be polar aligned correctly. So your wedge works perfectly fine.

I still wouldn't use it for AP as its not accurate enough.

I recommend you do some more reading before throwing yourself in.

Edited by overnight, 25 June 2017 - 09:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics