•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

I don't know if I'm in the right section as I'm having issues with the way this site is displayed, would a celestron autogider work for astrophotography or do I need to get correct mount,because of the weight of a vx mount I'd rather use a autogider, I've read users doing this have been very satisfied, anyone have any experience with this,any help and suggestions please.

#2 xiando

xiando

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

The AVX supports autoguiding. I can't speak for the specific product itself. Most people around here (I think), including myself, use more "conventional" guiding consisting of a guide scope (or Off-axis guider, ie OAG), guide camera, and their computer, via PHD guiding or a similar autoguiding program to achieve the goal. It *seems like it'd do the job, but in terms of "go-ahead", I'd wait for confirmation from more experienced users who might have direct experience with this product. 

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

The way you are phrasing the questin indicates you need a bit more to look into before you start astroimaging.

We had a show on the Astro Imaging Channel the other day that may be of value to you.

https://youtu.be/qH3CSvqp6fs

And, you will find a whole forum dedicated to astrophotography iin the Astrophotography and Sketching section here on Cloudy Nights, below.

Alex

#4 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Skylab

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Check out this thread in the Beginning Imaging forum.  It adresses most, if not all, of the equipment and recommendations for beginning imagers.

https://www.cloudyni...drails/?hl=keep me off the rails

#5 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the advice,I have recently bought a Pentax ks-2 dslr for astrophotography, I've never used this brand before but it's very good for low light,does anyone have experience with this camera? What would be the best settings to put it in to get the best pictures of planets and galaxies and stars, I have a range of lenses, upto 300mm zoom lens, can anyone please help with advice on what set up and balance settings to set to get the best pics out of the camera, thanks

#6 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Turn off all noise reduction.

Set the White Balance to daylight if its there.

RAW + JPEG if its avaliable.

Using zoom lenses will get no detail on planets. You'll capture Jupiter's moons, but that's it. You still need a mount....

I don't think you understand autoguiding. Autoguiding will only work with mounts that are capable of it, like the AVX and the expensive EQs.

Second, do not get the Advanced VX if possible. Spend more, its really worth it.

#7 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info,the autogider I found is over complicated and you have to mount it on a heavy holder which is not ideal for the scope,I looked into it because I really didn't want to get a heavy German mount, but I've come to realise that I may aswell put the weight issue behind me and spend however much I have to for a good mount, I know that it's worth the money for the type of astrophotography I do,wedges are a nightmare to work with,you have to polar align it,it doesn't work but it's not easy getting it right,and to do that on a daily basis, makes sense to spend the money wise on a German eq mount, my setup now so far is, 6se telescope, plossl series 500 green broadband film lenses 4mm upto 40mm,I would recommend these lenses to everyone, the clarity is shocking, a few celestron omni lenses which are brilliant two,2x-3x-5x Barlow,7 different colour filters, nikon D3300 dslr, just recently got myself a Pentax ks -3 dslr which I'm new to but leaves the nikon in the dust in all areas, and I have a celestron neximage cmos colour burst camera for planetary imaging and stars,galaxies, I have the mounts for the dslr cameras,is there anything else besides the German mount which I will get shortly that I need to improve my hobby pleasure of viewing and astroimaging,any advice on anything I need further or camera update, any advice or recommendation please,

#8 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Its going to be complicated and expensive and heavy. If you can't live with those things, you can't do AP. wink.gif

Autoguider is a must. Heavy GEM or Fork is also a must. They require polar aligning. There is no streamlined way.

First, EPs are not lenses. They are eyepieces.

6SE: don't use for AP

EPs and Barlows and filters: don't use for AP

Only thing you really have for AP are your camera lenses and cameras.

Just start with this: https://www.bhphotov...m=Y&sku=1092106

and an intervalometer.

Software: Use DSS, and find a processing program.

Edited by overnight, 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#9 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

I made a typing error,the wedge does work to a point but it's goto be polar aligned correctly which is a pain,also the new Pentax dslr is the ks-2 series not the ks-3 which I typed by accident, any advice welcome on anything extra or update I need or could do for better results.

#10 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

All EQs have to be polar aligned correctly. So your wedge works perfectly fine.

I still wouldn't use it for AP as its not accurate enough.

I recommend you do some more reading before throwing yourself in.

Edited by overnight, 25 June 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#11 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

I think you've misread what I wrote,I was replying back to a recommendation, I have the mount for the dslr to telescope, not wedge mount,I've seen it upclose in my retailers and the manual doesn't really explain or help to set it up,after discussing and advice I chose not to get a wedge and I wouldn't recommend it either, I'm currently doing short exposures of 30 to 35 seconds, I'm currently looking at AVX or the German mount after much advice,I'm glad I didn't purchase the wedge

#12 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

With the dslr I use the mount to telescope and focus with the focuser on the telescope, with neximage colour burst,I use a Barlow depending on what I'm looking at and focus 1st with telescope then on the laptop,lens and filters is when I'm viewing and looking with my eyes,because I typed shorthand I think I've been misread or understood.

#13 bvillebob

bvillebob

Messenger

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

I think people tried to respond and you didn't listen.

Go back and read what people posted and respond to them, don't just keep adding more and more info.

And use periods and sentences now and then, it will help get responses.smile.gif

#14 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

I think you've misread what I wrote,I was replying back to a recommendation, I have the mount for the dslr to telescope, not wedge mount,I've seen it upclose in my retailers and the manual doesn't really explain or help to set it up,after discussing and advice I chose not to get a wedge and I wouldn't recommend it either, I'm currently doing short exposures of 30 to 35 seconds, I'm currently looking at AVX or the German mount after much advice,I'm glad I didn't purchase the wedge

You said "I made a typing error,the wedge does work to a point but it's goto be polar aligned correctly which is a pain". 

So you clearly had a wedge. But now you say you don't. I'm confused.

#15 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I've was gona purchase one,I tried it out at the retailers,it's fiddly and the manual was rubbish,that's were I learnt what you have to do,to fiddly and my previous scope was a 5se that had a wedge and I didn't like it,I'm pushing my budget to £2-3k for my next scope,I do like the celestron evolution 9.25 telescope, ur experience is way beyond mine so Wat would you recommend in my budget

#16 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

A little understanding and patience with someone trying to enter into a new unknown field goes a long ways to help them along, so let's give that a try.smile.gif 

• jim kuhns likes this

#17 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

http://www.astropix.com/bgda/bgda.html

That is an extraordinary resource that should really help you sort out many issues. Good luck!

#18 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

I've was gona purchase one,I tried it out at the retailers,it's fiddly and the manual was rubbish,that's were I learnt what you have to do,to fiddly and my previous scope was a 5se that had a wedge and I didn't like it,I'm pushing my budget to £2-3k for my next scope,I do like the celestron evolution 9.25 telescope, ur experience is way beyond mine so Wat would you recommend in my budget

The 9.25" would be no good for DSO astrophotography.

#19 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thanks, I've done some research, ots ironic that it was originally designed to be for AP and DSO but things changed, I don't know how contact celestron, but if they build request telescope for AP,viewing and DSO AP, I'd pay up to 5-6k GBP if they could build me one,any1 know if they do or have experience with custom built telescope?

#20 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

The 9.25" wasn't designed for DSO AP. Rather, its better for planetary imaging.

Celestron doesn't custom-build scopes.

#21 xiando

xiando

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:59 AM

Thanks, I've done some research, ots ironic that it was originally designed to be for AP and DSO but things changed, I don't know how contact celestron, but if they build request telescope for AP,viewing and DSO AP, I'd pay up to 5-6k GBP if they could build me one,any1 know if they do or have experience with custom built telescope?

Visit Celestron's website.  The link below will direct you to a Celestron website page where you can initiate a discussion with them. Perhaps one of their employees can advise you on the right telescope for your needs, or they can direct you to a helpful Celestron dealer in your locale who can do so.

http://www.celestron...chnical-support

#22 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the info and advice,I'm going to be seeing my retailer today to discuss on options for best telescope, and going to get in touch with celestron to see if they can do a request or what they can offer
  • xiando likes this

#23 Abzmouse

Abzmouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

Currently I can do 30 to 40 sec exposure before it gets streaks and purple etchings, but it's enough and does the job for now,I've got 2 telescopes to come,I've ordered the 9.25 for my observatory at my new house, and I'm in the middle of deciding on a dobsonian but I'd like advice on what size and should I get a reflector or newt,these I will have for bout 10 years,I'm currently saving to spend £100,000 in the next decade on a custom built telescope that will last for the ryt of my day and be my permanent telescope, I'm looking to have it designed with to tech and mirrors, and full 360 rotation,just trying to find the best company to build it is becoming a hurdle, but few companies I've spoke to have said they would take out the project,once it's completed,ad my new home is high up in the hills and nice dark skies,once complete I will open access to people from all over to come and use it for observed and hopefully discovery and AP,I'm hoping £100,000 will be enough for 15-20 meter mirror and top tech,but I will invest more if needed, on top of that,I'll also have the 9.25 and either a dobsonian or some other refractor or reflector telescope for other observations, advice on what telescope I should get regarding the last telescope, I've always been a believer in spending the right money for the best results,suggestions welcome please

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics