•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the CPC Deluxe HD OTA the same as the Edge HD OTA sold on GEM mounts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

Like if I defork the OTA from an 11" CPC DELUXE 1100 HD and put it on a CGX-L mount, is it the same as buying a CGX-L EDGE HD 1100?

#2 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

For 11" in particular, I've handled both and own the deforked one. Here are two major differences:

1). The CPC version has four holes (close to the backplate) drilled for attaching the two arms

2). The CPC version has 3 larger vents while the normal version has two. If you wanna install the TEMPEST cooling fans from DSP, you need to opt the CPC version. I learned this in a hard way, which left me a pair of fans laying around (that fit the normal version).

If you defork your CPC, you need to buy a dovetail, and the hole patterns for attaching the dovetail or radius blocks are the same between the two versions.

Edited by BWAZ, 19 June 2017 - 11:37 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#3 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

For 11" in particular, I've handled both and own the deforked one. Here are two major differences:

1). The CPC version has four holes (close to the backplate) drilled for attaching the two arms

2). The CPC version has 3 larger vents while the normal version has two. If you wanna install the TEMPEST cooling fans from DSP, you need to opt the CPC version. I learned this in a hard way, which left me a pair of fans laying around (that fit the normal version).

If you defork your CPC, you need to buy a dovetail, and the hole patterns for attaching the dovetail or radius blocks are the same between the two versions.

Thanks so much,  so just for confirmation, if I can buy a CPC Deluxe HD 1100 for less than then price of an EDGE HD 1100 OTA, there's no reason to get just the OTA by itself if I plan to defork the CPC OTA?

#4 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Thanks so much,  so just for confirmation, if I can buy a CPC Deluxe HD 1100 for less than then price of an EDGE HD 1100 OTA, there's no reason to get just the OTA by itself if I plan to defork the CPC OTA?

That what I would do even though I bought my 11" OTA as deforked. The current sale on CPC/CPC HD is really great if one only needs the OTA.  

#5 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Apollo

• Loc: Risa

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Why would a full scope setup be less then just the optical tube?  Is it just the sale or am I missing something else?

#6 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

Why would a full scope setup be less then just the optical tube?  Is it just the sale or am I missing something else?

Sale.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics