•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC1805 HEART NEBULA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vroog

vroog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

HAVING DIFFICULTY LIVE VIEWING THE HEART NEBULA IC 1805.  I HAVE A CELESTRON 8 INCH EDGE . MALLINCAM JRPRO CCD , MALLINCAM REDUCER AND A DGM NPB FILTER.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  BY THE WAY I LIVE IN YUMA AZ SO MY SKIES ARE RELATIVELY DARK.

THANKS ,

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

It is 2.5° wide.  The maximum field of your scope is around a degree.

Maybe 1.3° with the reducer.

Wrong target for the scope.

Excellent in an 80-100mm short focal length refractor, photographically.

• havasman likes this

#3 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

The Heart nebula is a quite large object, at something like 1.5 degrees in extent. Your best bet is to point at the sparse cluster at its <ahem> heart ;) , where some of the brighter parts of the nebulosity lies. Big stuff like this benefits from a smaller telescope which can provide an FoV of more like 2 degrees. Why, a 50mm finder would be better here than a C-8 with focal reducer.

#4 vroog

vroog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your input.  I'll just cross this off my list until I obtain the proper scope.  There are plenty of  breathtaking objects out  for me.

• havasman likes this

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

You need a wide field... my 80mm jumbo finder and NV shows it well with space around it, good for the other big nebs in the area.
Peter

#6 My 2 Stars

My 2 Stars

Vendor - "Listen To The Stars" Audio & Sketch Book

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SE Penna.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Gentlemen,
                   Thanks for your input.  I'll just cross this off my list until I obtain the proper scope.  There are plenty of  breathtaking objects out  for me.

I just imaged it the other night with my 80mm. Unfortunately I was only able to grab 15 subs due to clouds rolling in. You can see how it filled the entire frame.

http://astrob.in/302813/E/

Edited by My 2 Stars, 13 July 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#7 penguinx64

penguinx64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:50 AM

I always have trouble seeing the Heart Nebula in my 4.5 inch reflector.  Now I look for the open cluster Melotte 15 instead.  Sometimes I can make out the heart shape, but I've never been able to see nebulosity.  I'll have to try again this fall with my 6 inch.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics