•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader Mk V upgrade - SCT T-2 question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flint350

flint350

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Baltimore

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'm considering getting a Baader Mk V without the diagonal.  Reason is, I have a Baader clicklock 2" diagonal already. The T-2 system can be confusing, but it appears I can simply get the T-2 nosepiece, attach it to the bino scope side and then insert into the clicklock.  Anyone have any experience doing this or any input as to why it is a good/bad idea?

I have been using my old Maxbright on my C9.25 thru Televue Everbrite 1.25 and can achieve focus natively with no corrector.  My preference is to not change diagonals anymore and switch to the Baader 2" for everything. If my assumptions are correct, I will buy the Mk V and put the Everbrite diag. and Maxbrite up for sale.  Thanks.

#2 Dan56

Dan56

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sheridan Wy

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hello

I am surprised that you have not had a reply. There is a lot of people on here sharper on this subject than me. But I have a 9.25 sct and Mark V and 2'' Baader clicklock. I went though this 2 years ago with a 11'' sct. I wanted to stay all 2'' and I like the clicklock. What you are saying can be done. On my 11'' I left my diagonal in all the time ,put in a 21 Ethos, pulled it out and dropped in my Binoviewer. That system was not a Mark V but a Binotron 27. Never could get one of the higher powers to come to focus on because of the 2'' diagonal. Or maybe the low power?

Now I have the above Equipment. But my main scope I will Binoview on is a Televue 85 and I will use the T-2 stuff, it has been , and still is a little confusing. As I write this my 9.25 has the clicklock on it . I can right now screw my 2'' nose piece on the Mark V by the T_2 quickchanger that goes on the Mark V and drop it in the sct scope. And its a go on the 9.25. But there is a price to pay for length. My clicklock right now is screwed right on the scope to cut down on length. There is no nose piece on the clicklock. It will screw on a 9.25 BUT you have to remove the eyepiece side by the 6 little screws, screw it on the scope and Reattach the eyepiece side. The focuser will not allow it to do it the easy way.

Short answer to your ? YES you can

Dan

#3 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Ranger 4

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

I think what you want is the following:

SCT-T short length SCT adapter
T2-01B T2 Diagonal
T2-06 Quick Change adapter
GLASS-1 1.25X Glass path compensator
MK V Binoviewer

Then for single EP instead of BV:

T2-08 1.25” Clicklok EP holder

You can always check with Bob at Alpine Astro, the US distributor for Baader products

Good luck

#4 flint350

flint350

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Thanks to both of you.  Very helpful.

#5 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Ranger 4

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Here you go -- the full monty for all connection options -- Cheers,  Tom

Attached Files

#6 flint350

flint350

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the pdf.  But, if those connections are the only ones, it seems to show only their 2 special diagonals will work, not the clicklock.  It's possible that adding a nosepiece in btwn might work, but it might also make the light path too long for focus.

#7 alanjgreen

alanjgreen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

Flint,

if you are using an SCT then reaching focus is not an issue. You have more than enough with the SCT.

i used the exact setup you describe on my cpc1100. As you say, you just need to fit the 2" nosepiece to the baader quickchange adapter then that fits onto the MarkVs.

what you will find is that you get a slight increase in magnification due to the SCT mirror moving in as you focus the scope. It will take a few turns to find the focus point but it will work!

Alan

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Scope will probably work at reduced aperture with this configuration, and focal length will probably be well over 2650mm depending on the exact configuration of the visual back and diagonal connection.

It is a lot of light path for a C9.25. 

Now that only matters if it matters to you, and if you don't mind the aperture loss, I guess that is fine, but my advice is to use the Baader 2.6x GPC when you do planets because along with the aperture reduction, you will be adding in the range of 1/5th wave of spherical aberration to the system.  For DSO you may not notice this, but for planetary use, you will have trouble outperforming a 120ED if you don't use a strong barlow or GPC.

If you are using some kind of visual back, you can save about 30mm of light path (about 100mm of focal length) by directly connecting the diagonal mirror housing to the SCT visual back and using the Baader SCT Locking Ring to set the diagonal position. 

Ken Hutchinsons vignetting analysis covers the issues of aperture loss and focal length increase so if you have some questions about this post, I recommend that you find a copy and review it.  C9.25 starts to loose aperture when the back focus goes much over about 180mm and your configuration is going to be in the area of 230mm (minimum, probably more if you are using any kind of visual back) so you are looking at less than 9" of aperture and a focal length increase of maybe 400mm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics