•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unguided Narrowband Imaging with my AVX

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

So, I've been wanting to get out to my dark site and this weekend the opportunity came. First try didn't go so well (bringing my total to 0 and 8 on dark site trips with my current setup).  But, being more than a little goofi and a wee bit persistent, I went back out sunday night and actually managed to get some images.

There were still problems, most important was my guider wasn't working. Improvising, I decided to try taking short subs without guiding .. with my AVX.  I knew I was imaging a brighter target (M20, Trifid Nebula),  so I thought I could get by with 45 second subs for each of the three narrowband filters.  Yes, 45 second subs, narrowband filters, on an AVX.  More than a little goofi .... 

Now, without further ado or guilding the lilly (whatever that means, but it's a great line from a pretty good movie), the image ....

30 subs each channel, all subs 45 seconds unguided.

Scope = NP-101; Camera = Atik One 6.0; Mount = AVX

(palette is a subtle goofi green)

Attached Thumbnails

• SHOa.jpg

• psandelle, mikewayne3, Ken Sturrock and 11 others like this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

Pretty impressive.

#3 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

• Loc: Poulsbo, Washington

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Am I supposed to be surprised?  I mean, c'mon, if you did a good polar alignment, even on an AVX, especially one as well used as yours is, you should be able to get one minute subs unguided.

A new one, out of the box, I'm not too sure about, but yours has been around the block a couple of times.  Now, unguided for more than a minute, I don't think so, but this doesn't surprise me.

As usual, the image is really good.  You must be Irish if you like that much green, though.  :p :)

#4 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thanks.  I"m mixed mutt-American, though.  tongue2.gif

Honestly, I think the stars are pretty bad ... watching my AVX bouncing around the way it does without guiding was eye-opening.  I was really surprised the Oiii and Sii filters gave good signals.  Both are 3nm filters and I really didn't think 45 seconds was going to give me decent data. I probably should have pushed for 60 second subs for those two channels, but I had enough issues going on that I wanted to make things easier.

Yes, my mount has been around the block a few times ... but it sat in my garage for the last year untouched.  It seems louder, but that just might be me not used to how it sounds. Then again, I still haven't opened it up, not even to see if there is any grease inside it ... so who knows.  grin.gif

#5 xiando

xiando

Aurora

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Lovely "rose" shades there Goofi wink.gif lol.gif

fwiw: Gilding the Lilly: to add ornament or decoration to something that is pleasing in its original state

http://idioms.thefre...m/gild the lily

Edited by xiando, 19 June 2017 - 04:39 PM.

• Goofi likes this

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Nice Goofi!

#7 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

• Loc: Poulsbo, Washington

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks.  I"m mixed mutt-American, though.  tongue2.gif

Yeah, you and me both!  :)

Honestly, I think the stars are pretty bad ... watching my AVX bouncing around the way it does without guiding was eye-opening.  I was really surprised the Oiii and Sii filters gave good signals.  Both are 3nm filters and I really didn't think 45 seconds was going to give me decent data. I probably should have pushed for 60 second subs for those two channels, but I had enough issues going on that I wanted to make things easier.

In the image I was looking at, I didn't think they were bad at all, no blobs or anything like that, particularly on the smaller stars.  Everything looked tight to me.  Have you put this on AB yet, I'll go take a look there at a larger image, if you have one.

Yes, my mount has been around the block a few times ... but it sat in my garage for the last year untouched.  It seems louder, but that just might be me not used to how it sounds. Then again, I still haven't opened it up, not even to see if there is any grease inside it ... so who knows.  grin.gif

Time to take it apart and re-lube it, rebuild it.  It's not that hard.

#8 Becomart

Becomart

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Very nice but ease off on the green jelly and ice cream with artificial colours! 

#9 xiando

xiando

Aurora

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

Very nice but ease off on the green jelly and ice cream with artificial colours! 

I have a feeling that's like asking a cat not to hunt mice. (at least Goofi was feeling generous and added some of that weird color... blue)  wink.gif

Edited by xiando, 19 June 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#10 rflinn68

rflinn68

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

Glad you were able to get some images this time Goofi. Hopefully next time out everything works for you! fingerscrossed.gif

#11 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, I pushed some blue into that one ....

This version I really went crazy - I tried making it natural color but it's tough matching a reflection nebula (blue) with narrowband emission nebulas.  lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• NaturalBlendA.jpg

• Robrj and xiando like this

#12 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Nice!! That is pretty strong for such short subs! I like your classic green with blue center a lot! Good to see you got some imaging time. It has been pretty horrible here.

Almost every night I setup in murky skies and get shutdown by 11. I actually got full night of imaging last night though Hopefully there is some good signal there..

#13 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Good luck, Anis

I had to go to my dark site out in the desert to get this; weather here locally is horrible again this summer.  Clear all day, just after sunset the fog rolls in!  mad.gif

#14 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Here's my final version of this ....

get.jpg

• FiremanDan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics