•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC 1318. Processing Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

If there is enough interest in this, I'll be glad to post my SHO masters into Dropbox and you can give it a try for processing.  I've had a lot of problems with this image and applying too much noise reduction, along with not being able to get a nice color scheme in PI and PS.

I'd be curious as to what others are able to come up with, as this one has me really stumped.....Gunny 

#2 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'd be happy to give it a go ...

#3 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Goofi,

Give me till tomorrow to get those images on the DB, and I'll post on this forum.  If possible, could you give a brief synopsis of how you processed the masters.  Hopefully, this will be a good way for myself and others to learn..............Gunny 

#4 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

Sure thing, Gunny.   I use PI exclusively, so hopefully others will share what they do with PS.

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Looking forward to it as I haven't caught a break to do any imaging for quite awhile!  It will be all in PS.

#6 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

I was able to get to these files thanks to the Mrs. letting me out of garden duty.   They are open to all, but be warned that the zipped fits file size is around 80 MB. Fits file format, with the OIII and SII registered to Ha. You are welcome to use with whatever means you choose, but please post your results for all to see.

Here is the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox....stered.zip?dl=0

Thanks to you....................... Gunny

#7 Joe G

Joe G

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Gunny,

Here is my take done in PS.

First I stretched the individual NB files with levels.  After I liked what I had I created a new file and copied the files into the color channels.  The Ha data is very strong and gives a very green image.

Next I followed Bob Franke's tutorial here:

http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm

After that I played with the color balance, individual color channels in curves and levels, and messed with the saturation a bit to taste.  I did use a couple of Astronomy Tool's actions including Enhance DSO and Reduce Stars and Local COntrast Enhancement.

Then did a little noise reduction and faded it to taste.

Amazing how different NB images can be combined.

The full size image here:

https://www.dropbox....C 1318.jpg?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails

• Gunny's IC 1318 CN.jpg

#8 Goofi

Goofi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

Gunny, Here's my take with some notes:

First thing I always do is just review the masters and make sure there are no issues. I noticed an issue with the stars (we talked in a PM about this), and that the edges needed cropping to remove stacking artifacts.  I also saw the Ha was pretty clean, but there was some noise on the other two channels.

With this in mind, I started processing.  I decided to do a "simplified" processing for you - it's a workflow I've found gives decent results for minimal effort. This is not what I'd do for final processing, but it gives a good idea of where issues might pop up and how things are looking. So, here it is ...

1. DynamicCrop the border to remove stacking artifacts;

2. ABE (using default settings) subtracting out to remove gradients;

3. Noise reduction with MLT applied to 6 wavelets (Oiii and Sii only);

4. Stretch using AutoHistogram (using RationalInterpolation);

5. Combine into color using PixelMath - I used HOS mix based on the preview of the masters earlier to give it some interest;

6. StarMask with default settings, apply it to mask the stars, and a gentle stretch;

7. MorphologicalTransformation (MorphologicalMedian, 44%) to slightly minimize stars;

8. CurvesTransformation to gently push saturation and add contrast;

9. Resample - so I can post here.

Attached Thumbnails

• HOS.jpg

#9 Skyczheng

Skyczheng

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:01 AM

This area is rich in cloud, and I took the ha channel last night.

#10 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

JoeG, Goofi, and Sky,

I took some of your procedures and applied to the masters.  Thank you for taking the time to process this and documenting the steps.

A couple of  things that may be causing my poor image are a lack of integration time on the subs and my data rejection algorithm that I was using in CCDSTACK2.  The Ha is fine, but OIII and SII need some additional subs. My procedure for data rejection is also flawed.  S/N increased significantly on the Ha due to a change in procedure.  

This is about as far as I can go with the image for now.............there's always next year to gather more data:

color-IC-1318-Final-II.jpg

Edited by gunny01, 21 June 2017 - 02:34 PM.

• Goofi likes this

#11 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Cosmos

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I am not always fond of NB pictures and I always have difficulty processing NB images until I discovered a cool ColorMask script from another thread ( https://www.cloudyni...band/?p=7953458 ). This script made processing NB images much easier. Read the instructions from PixInsight forum thread very carefully.

It looks much better if you click on the image.

Peter

IC_1318_SHO_Compressed.jpg

Edited by Peter in Reno, 22 June 2017 - 06:19 PM.

• Goofi likes this

#12 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Peter,

Kind of reminds me of the Witch's Head.

#13 cgome004

cgome004

Lift Off

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Here is my stab at it.

I did the Hubble palate and tweaked the colors with the color mask script in pixinsight. No noise reduction routines were used to process this image. Although the SII and OIII data was not as clean as the Ha, that does not matter as I always use the clean Ha as a luminance and that gets rid of any noise. Once I was happy with the color image, I perform a convolution to blur the entire image. This removes overall noise and chromatic noise. I then apply the Ha as a luminance and all the nice details are then restored. The Ha has some cosmetic correction done to the star just to get them a little bit rounder (I used Russel Crowman star shrink tool to shrink the stars and then star spike pro to restore their size and roundness in photoshop).

Here is the Astrobin upload for better resolution (uploaded as work in progress and only viewable through this link):

http://www.astrobin.com/full/300776/0/

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• IC1318 Gunney01 Resize.jpg

#14 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Wow Chris!

This was exactly what I was looking for with limiting my heavy handedness on noise reduction.  The full resolution image is wonderful in detail and not over-smooth as I am guilty of.  Thank you........Gunny 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics