•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smartphone spec

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Beans57

Beans57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi there

I've used Sky Safari Pro for years now with an ipad.  Now that said, I'm likely one of the few people in the western world that doesn't own a cell/smartphone.  But that is about to change . . .

So wondering since I've never used a phone such as this size for anything (last 'phone' I had was a Nokia clamshell 'cell') . . . . Anyway, how do you find usefulness of an app such as SSPro on a much smaller screen?  For use as a phone, I'm eyeing iphone SE - like the pocketability and the processor spec, but am game for something like the iphone 6 or (in my world here) Galaxy A5 as a max size I'd want for a phone.  That A5 likes good and I'm not a slave to any particular brand/OS . . . .

Appreciate any input on this.  I'd still use the ipad for main use, but wanting something on a smartphone to accompany me when I find myself in the wilds without that ipad.

Thanks

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Viking 1

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

If you want a phone with lots of horsepower and don't care about some of the extras that the $500+ phones can do the one the reviewers liked as the best phone at around $200 and under is the Motorola (Lenovo) Moto G Plus (Gen 5).

8-core Snapdragon 2 GHz processor
16/32 GB 2/4 GB RAM or 32 GB 3GB RAM (USA version)
Dual Nano-SIM card capable
Micro-SD slot up to 256 GB
Fingerprint reader
fast-focusing dual LED flash 12 MB camera + 5 MB front cameras
Video 2160p@30fps
5.2" 1920x1024 display
Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
Android 7.0
Unlockable also.
Also has an accelerometer built in so that you can use specific hand motions to start/stop various things on the phone.

When I decided to update from my Moto G Plus (Gen 2) I accidentally restored the saved data from my previous phone (Moto G original) before that which had SS4 on it. Came up and ran like it never left. Decided to upgrade to SS5 Pro while at it.

Edited by photoracer18, 19 June 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#3 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

I use both Stellarium and Google Sky Map on my Galaxy S6 and ohh boy are they useful. I'd go for it if I were you.

#4 jimr2

jimr2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tonopah, NV

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

Beans,

Well, just to let you know, you're not the LAST person in the known Universe to now own a so-called "smartphone"! I still use an 8-yr old flip-phone and it works fine for what it was made for--to make phone calls on!

But like you, am also interested in being able to use Ski Safari on something at the telescope to help id things in the sky--and maybe someday have it hooked up to control the mount, so appreciate your input photoracer on the type of phone to get that works well w/ SS. And even if SS works better on a larger screened instrument, like a tablet, just don't think I want to lug anything that big around w/ me so will probably just settle for the smartphone. Thanks again both of you!

#5 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

I use my Note 4 for nights when I want SkySafari Pro for targets not easily found in the HC. 

If you started with Apple, you might want to stick with that for a phone as SS5 requires a seperate purchase for the Android version.

Mike

#6 xiando

xiando

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

for me...pretty well worthless for practical use. My eyesight has steadily declined since I was hit in the occipital lobe back in 1985. Smart phone screens (among other small print media...I've grown to hate product labels) are an eternal frustration for me. I used to be able to resolve down to ~5 microns by eyesight. Now they're just good for rough looks of pics I snap even with my 3.75 reading glasses on. Surprisingly though, looking through an eyepiece allows me to view billions of tiny little stars. In addition, I am the proud recipient of mason's hands, not delicate fingers, so I have a bad habit of hitting the wrong little buttons on phones. (yeah I know stylus...whatever...it's never around when I need it)

If I were to rely on an "app", I think I'd have to buy a large pad to use it on.

#7 Beans57

Beans57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Beans,

Well, just to let you know, you're not the LAST person in the known Universe to now own a so-called "smartphone"! I still use an 8-yr old flip-phone and it works fine for what it was made for--to make phone calls on!

But like you, am also interested in being able to use Ski Safari on something at the telescope to help id things in the sky--and maybe someday have it hooked up to control the mount, so appreciate your input photoracer on the type of phone to get that works well w/ SS. And even if SS works better on a larger screened instrument, like a tablet, just don't think I want to lug anything that big around w/ me so will probably just settle for the smartphone. Thanks again both of you!

Okay.  'Second-to-last . . . "   Hahahaa . . .

And look!!  The screen shows who's calling me!!!

Edited by Beans57, 19 June 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#8 Beans57

Beans57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

Appreciate the input on this.  Thanks.

I'm getting an initial sense that the 4 in SE screen just might not be everyone's first pick for this . . . . (other than the ease of that 'very' pocketable phone!

You know.  Its interesting.  That SE phone . . . if they were to have expanded the screen - it has a fair size bezel, they might have been able to keep the physical size of the phone the same. 

'Might' because that is alot of HP inside such a small package.  Ah well . . . . I digress . . . . .

#9 Beans57

Beans57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

Say, as I'm no slave to either brand or OS, for those that are in the know, does Sky Safari Pro work 'better' (?) on an iOS based system vs Android?

#10 outofsight

outofsight

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

If you're wondering if SkySafari is of any use on a smaller sized screen, the answer is absolutely yes. I'm looking at it on an iPod Touch right now, only a 4" diagonal screen, it's a truly impressive and valuable program to have no matter what size screen it's on. I use it on up to about 9" screens and I do prefer it, and just about all other apps, on a larger screen, but if all I had was this 4" screen I would be glad to have SkySafari on it. Way better than nothing and more effective than you might initially think on a small screen. 

All of my astronomy apps still look good and work fine on this 4" screen. My iPod has a lot more memory than some of my other devices, it's small and a good thing to have.

Didn't see your last question until after my post. SkySafari is "more native" to iOS, but I don't know that it works significantly better on one system or another. I use it on Android and iOS and like it plenty on both. Apple is my first choice for all of my stuff because it works better in general for what I do, but the gap is so narrow it doesn't matter much to me. Get whatever device you feel most comfortable with and is easiest to use, whatever fits your circumstances best.

One interesting thing I've noticed with SkySafari on Android and iOS, for me personally, if I've been using it on Android or iOS for awhile, and then switch to the opposite system, I'll often think, "Oh, this is cooler than that last system," but it seems to go both ways. I wouldn't let the system affect my decision too much with regard only to SkySafari. Think more about other uses for your phone and how it will fit into your overall systems. Good luck.

Edited by outofsight, 19 June 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#11 Beans57

Beans57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

If you're wondering if SkySafari is of any use on a smaller sized screen, the answer is absolutely yes. I'm looking at it on an iPod Touch right now, only a 4" diagonal screen, it's a truly impressive and valuable program to have no matter what size screen it's on. I use it on up to about 9" screens and I do prefer it, and just about all other apps, on a larger screen, but if all I had was this 4" screen I would be glad to have SkySafari on it. Way better than nothing and more effective than you might initially think on a small screen. 

All of my astronomy apps still look good and work fine on this 4" screen. My iPod has a lot more memory than some of my other devices, it's small and a good thing to have.

Very good/cool to know, as the iPhone that had captured my interest retained that 4 inch screen of the iPhone 4 & 5 (slightly upgraded resolution).

#12 wrvond

wrvond

Viking 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

Since you are already using an Apple product, switching to Android will force you to purchase another copy of SkySafari. Stick with Apple and you can share it across all your devices.

I use it on a 10" tablet and an iPhone 7s Plus. Nothing so small as what you are considering. However, if you turn off labels any device will prove quite viewable and useful.

#13 lphilpot

lphilpot

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Whatever you get, you'll also want to cover it with this: http://www.siriusast...ght-shield.html

Scroll to the bottom and look at the Xtra-Dark (not standard) Red Eyes cling film. By far the best on phones and tablets. Dark, clear and red, but very usable without being too bright (as is the case with most of coverings).

#14 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

Agree totally about the Xtra-Dark cling film.  Good stuff.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Since you are already using an Apple product, switching to Android will force you to purchase another copy of SkySafari. Stick with Apple and you can share it across all your devices.

I use it on a 10" tablet and an iPhone 7s Plus. Nothing so small as what you are considering. However, if you turn off labels any device will prove quite viewable and useful.

Sky Safari Pro is $40. That's small change when consider buying a smartphone.   

I use Sky Safari on an Android smartphone with a 5.5 inch screen and it does the job but I prefer the larger screen of a 7 inch tablet.   I also have a 10 inch but the 7 inch is the right size.  It fits in a coat pocket and I can hold it in one hand. 

I am typing this post on a 7 inch Nexus 7.. 

Jon

#16 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Republic, MO

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

I have both an iPhone SE and an iPad Pro 9.7.  Prior to getting the SE, I had an iPhone 6 with a bit larger screen.  When it comes to using the phones at the scope in the dark...not for me...  I use the iPad Pro exclusively at the scope, both for driving the scope and for logging observations. I've used my old iPhone 6, and Galaxy phones and Notes prior to moving to iOS, to run my scope, but find doing so with the smaller format extremely difficult.

I do install and use all my astro apps on my iPhone, but mainly during the day if I want to look something up and while planning my next session.  It's handy having the app on the phone so you can look up info on objects, like looking up something in a dictionary, atlas or encyclopedia.  The apps I get the most use from on my iPhone are my two astro-weather apps - iCSC and Astrospheric - along with Phases of the Moon and SOHO.  My lunar atlases - MoonGlobeHD and MoonMapPro - I almost exclusively use on my iPad.  TriAtlas is also virtually impossible for me to read and use on the small screen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics