•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

making "fixed focus" binoculars adjustable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

So to those that either want to make them adjustable, how did you accomplish the deed of ungluing the ep's to the barrel. I did manage to pop the glue joint using the brute force method on a pair of binolux  10x50 wide angles "stay focus", and with a bit of very light grease after thread cleaning, managed to get them to the point of some adjustablity. In the case of these bins, they have zero eye relief and with my nearsightedness, need the adjustability. Is there a solvent that will attack the glue that wicked into the threaded interface between the plastic barrels and the plastic ep's without attack the base plastic?

Regards Pat

#2 MartinPond

MartinPond

Gemini

• -----

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:46 AM

Usually, the cement doesn't get into the threads because there is grease there.

If the threads are moving, I would just back the eyepiece cell out and use

a tiny screwdriver blade or X-Acto to chip the glue off the threads.

That's unfortunate about the eye relief.

Most fixed-focus have plenty of it, since they aren't as useful without it.

Al plastic threads...sounds like a very late models (1980s, etc)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics