•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Display flip in Sky Safari

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 abaum

abaum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Is there a way to have Sky Safari display on the screen what I see through the eyepiece?  I use an SCT w/ diagonal and when I look at Jupiter, the moon through the eyepiece don't match the locations in Sky Safari. 

Adam

#2 abaum

abaum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Found it.  Why the setting is under "Coordinates" and not "Display" baffles the mind....

Edited by abaum, 19 June 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#3 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Viking 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

yes - go to "Coordinates (Coords)" then you have option to flip horizontally, vertically or both
  • Steve Cox likes this

#4 JHollJr

JHollJr

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

It may sound old fashioned to suggest practicing without the flip. It helps if you ever find yourself using atlases. Spent some time with a 102mm last evening around the Graffias and just looked at everything "backwards". smile.gif

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

You can also tap the blue field of view label in the upper right to bring up a pop up panel to quickly access that setting (and others).  There is another pop up panel attached to the label in the upper left of the chart.

• Cyrano, Jon Isaacs, JHollJr and 3 others like this

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

Why the setting is under "Coordinates" and not "Display" baffles the mind....

Because you are flipping the coordinate system when doing that.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:43 AM

You can also tap the blue field of view label in the upper right to bring up a pop up panel to quickly access that setting (and others).  There is another pop up panel attached to the label in the upper left of the chart.

This! I use a RACI and a Dob or Frac. This makes life oh-so-easy!

• JHollJr likes this

#8 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

Veteran Sky Safari user here...  agree with abaum.  From a user's perspective, one thinks about flipping the field of view or the display -- not the coordinates!  (Plus, under Display, Appearance, is where one turns on Coordinates and Field of View, adjusts Screen Rotation, etc.). 

Coordinates, one thinks of as the place to choose among the Coordinate Systems --horizon, equatorial, ecliptic !

In any event, never used that inside option anyway, given the ease of use and brilliant FOV indicator you get by tapping on in the upper-right corner!   (Hmm... that is also the Field of View selector, not the CGF-- Coordinate Grid Flipper!  )

#9 bleep

bleep

Ranger 4

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

I used to swipe down on the top right then hit the both on the display but I found it much easier to just turn my iPad upside down!
  • JHollJr and Roger Corbett like this

#10 abaum

abaum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

Not sure what you mean by flipping the coordinate system.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Alt-Az is a coordinate system,  there's the horizontal component and the vertical component.  To flip the image, you are flipping the coordinate system.   The display includes more than just the chart view..  

In any event,  the short cut cut makes it easy.  I just do it all in my mind..  Too many views to work with to be flipping the orientation.  There's the Telrad,  then there's the RACI finder whose eyepiece is at an angle so up is not up, and then there's the scope's eyepiece. 

Jon

• JHollJr and NMBob like this

#12 ascii

ascii

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Imagine viewing the sky in Sky Safari where the person is in the northern hemisphere and looking toward the southern horizon.  If you flip vertically, declination will no longer increase as you move from the bottom of the scene to the top.  It will decrease.  Likewise, if you flip horizontally, R.A. will no longer increase going right to left.  It will decrease instead.  It makes sense in that regard, but frankly, I wouldn't have thought to look under Coordinates myself.

#13 NMBob

NMBob

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

I just do it all in my mind..  Too many views to work with to be flipping the orientation.  There's the Telrad,  then there's the RACI finder whose eyepiece is at an angle so up is not up, and then there's the scope's eyepiece. 

Jon

Now if I could just keep straight which drive button to push when on the hand paddle while looking through each of those. :)

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

I just do it all in my mind..  Too many views to work with to be flipping the orientation.  There's the Telrad,  then there's the RACI finder whose eyepiece is at an angle so up is not up, and then there's the scope's eyepiece. 

Jon

Now if I could just keep straight which drive button to push when on the hand paddle while looking through each of those. smile.gif

That's one reason I prefer tracking by hand.. I just need to know which way I want to go.. 

jon

• NMBob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics