•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Canon+Magic Lantern script: "Eclipse Magic" - Generate and execute a full sequence of varied exposures spanning all eclipse phases.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 ranger10x

ranger10x

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

I did most of the writing and debugging with a 5DmkII, which beeps quite happily. I only discovered today that my 70D is silent.

I think it's just a feature that's not available on all bodies.

grnbrg.

To me it is very minor.  Since I will be using both my Canon T2i and 6d at the same time on different scopes I will just rely on the T2i warning beeps.  Going to have my T2i on my C8 and my 6d on my Takahashi 450 mm FSQ85ED

f5.3 Astrograph Baby Q.  Again thanks for the great work.  Luckily I stumbled into your work.

#27 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

This is a great script, thanks for all the work! I'd like to add some diamond ring exposures, say 4-6 seconds before C2.  Can just be a few bracketed photos since the burst photos after that is happening. How hard would it be to add that? 

#28 ranger10x

ranger10x

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

I was looking at the script and I notice that there was a line to use GPS time.  Are you referring to the GPS time sync on the Camera?  I know that the 6d can use GPS time (to keep the local time accurate) and location.  I'm planning on using GPS time updating every second.  I'm not sure how much additional power consumption it is but it will only be for C1 thru C4.  Also I notice when I try to get the C1 thru C4 times for the same location it varies depending what program you use by as much as 2 seconds.  Any advice on which source is best?  This is my first eclipse so I do not know if 2 seconds is in the noise but it seems like it would not be to me. Thanks!

#29 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators
  • Loc: NY

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

This is a terrific script! Nice work. I think this will do nicely, hopefully I can get accurate C2-C3 timing via app wherever I end up. 

#30 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the diamond ring -- it just an overexposure of the last moments, but I will see about adding an opportunity to do something before the Baily's Beads exposures.

As far as timing -- the script uses the camera time. You will need to set that as accurately as possible, however you define "accurate". However, you won't need to set it more than once, before starting the eclipse -- the clock isn't going to wander that much.

And as far as what to use for contact times... I am an utter n00b. I will be using Xavier Jubier's map and calculations to schedule my exposures. The amount of data and accumulated knowledge on his pages is staggering.

grnbrg.

(And make sure you practice. I am having some issues with my 70D (it seems to be taking multiple exposure per commanded shutter click) and I'm not sure if it's the (somewhat modified from what's so far released) script, a bug in Magic Lantern, or a hardware problem.)

#31 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the diamond ring -- it just an overexposure of the last moments, but I will see about adding an opportunity to do something before the Baily's Beads exposures.

As far as timing -- the script uses the camera time. You will need to set that as accurately as possible, however you define "accurate". However, you won't need to set it more than once, before starting the eclipse -- the clock isn't going to wander that much.

And as far as what to use for contact times... I am an utter n00b. I will be using Xavier Jubier's map and calculations to schedule my exposures. The amount of data and accumulated knowledge on his pages is staggering.

grnbrg.

(And make sure you practice. I am having some issues with my 70D (it seems to be taking multiple exposure per commanded shutter click) and I'm not sure if it's the (somewhat modified from what's so far released) script, a bug in Magic Lantern, or a hardware problem.)

Did a complete run through on my 6D w/ 1.5 and it seemed to work well. Other than the lack of a beep, which is a known ML issue with the 6D build.

#32 moshen

moshen

Apollo

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

Yea, the diamond ring is an overexposure but it is aesthetically pleasing ;) And there is time to add it on the before and end of the exposures. I was going to modify the script myself but I think others would make use of it as well and you know the script the best ;)

#33 ranger10x

ranger10x

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Regardless I will be using this script if the diamond ring modification is there or not.  It's a great script.  I do hope you add the modification because I would like to capture the diamond ring.  I think it worth it.

I did verify that I could still connect my T2i or my 6d to my laptop and take pictures during the partial phase without interfering with the script.  Actually I just wanted to do a live view prior to C2 and Center the Sun in the FOV a couple of minutes before C2 which can be done.

#34 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

If anyone is running a 70D, can they run this test script, with Live View enabled?

-- 70D LV exposure test
-- If run in LV, high speed continuous mode, will trigger a burst of 2-3 frames.

menu.close()
console.show()

print("Click?")

key.wait()

camera.shutter.value = 1/8000
camera.iso.value=100
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/4000
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/2000
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/1000
camera.shoot(false)

key.wait()

console.hide()

When I run this on my 70D, with LV turned off, I get 4 images, as expected. If I have LV turned on, the shutter actuations are doubled up, and I get 8 images.

Thanks!

grnbrg

#35 ekrohn

ekrohn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Things I have learned running eclipse_magic.lua on my T5i (700D):

- the beeps do not work on this model. I hear a faint sound, but it is not a beep. More like a low click.

- disable Auto Power Off! I was wondering why the script was failing part way through while in test mode. Makes sense.

- it is not "set and forget". It's important to make sure the camera still sees the sun and that the battery still has charge.

• Greg K. likes this

#36 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Good tips... I've done a couple test runs now to make sure my battery will last, also will have a spare (along with a spare SD card ready to go).

Double & triple check all values entered... 

Going with silent shooting mode instead of live view. Keeping the sun centered through the viewfinder should be easy enough if I get a reasonable polar alignment - interesting I noticed the circular reticle in the 6D viewfinder is almost exactly the size of the sun's disk at the 560mm focal length I'm going to use. Should make alignment a lot easier.

I noticed that ML lets you edit LUA scripts in camera - not the most convenient thing to do, but useful for adjusting the times. Might still bring a small computer to do this.

#37 ranger10x

ranger10x

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

Also agree it is not a set and forget.  My plan is to get a good Polar Align with everything on the mount the night of the 20th and leave it untouched until the time for the eclipse.  I did test both Cameras fully (6d and T2i) and even connected my 6d (tested my T2i also) to my laptop and used the EOS Utility to use the Live View to keep the Sun centered in the FOV on the laptop using my Hand Controller from time to time prior to C2 ( there was no interferece with the script).  No need to use the viewfinder unless not using a laptop.  The Canon batteries at full charge still had much more than 50 percent after my full test.  Even did an additional test with the same battery but I'm only going to ask for only 14 partial eclipse pictures (pre and post).

Note:  hoping for that diamond ring mod if there is time.

Update:  Will also be using Live View on my laptop to fine focus both my scopes.  Much easier than looking through the Canon viewfinder or Canera display.

Edited by ranger10x, 09 August 2017 - 11:17 PM.

#38 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

Update to version 1.7.0 -- eclipse_magic.lua

Note that, due to the late date, I have made the older, more tested version 1.5.0 available -- eclipse_magic-1.5.0.lua

Two sets of updates, one from me, and one thanks to Eric Krohn, who sent me some extensive and useful changes.

-- 1.6.0 -- Contributions from Eric Krohn, <krohn@ekrohn.com> (Many thanks!)
	-- Added logging to permanent file, "ECLIPSE.LOG" at top level of the memory card
	-- More extensive logging added throughout the script
	-- Bugfix:  In do_max() the last two arguments to take_shot() were reversed. 
	-- Bugfix:  do_max() is unguarded as far as current time
	-- Added pretty_shutter() to make the shutter speed numbers more sensible

-- Added optional function to take some diamond ring images before and after the Baily's Beads
		-- exposures.  Be careful not to overlap the Ring and Beads exposures before C2!
	-- Added a new burst function that takes a burst of images, one at a time, rather than using the
		-- camera's burst function.  Slower, but slower is better for the buffer, and gives us the
		-- opportunity to stop shooting at a specific time, where a burst will run until the requested
		-- number of images have been captured.
I think I am done with feature changes at this point -- it's getting too close to the 21st to be making major changes. Feel free to test, and let me know (In this thread, in PM, or via email, I'm not picky. smile.gif ) if you find any bugs or errors. I just finished up the last of the coding and testing, and bed time was at least a couple of hours ago. There may well be a couple of bug fixes that come out in the next couple of days.

grnbrg.
  • moshen likes this

#39 moshen

moshen

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

Thanks a ton for the changes, I'll test them out!

#40 moshen

moshen

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:36 AM

I think I see a bug. Shouldn't the below be 'if ( TestBeepNoShutter == 0 )' instead? The testing times should apply when TestBeepNoShutter is enabled, not disabled.

if ( TestBeepNoShutter == 1 )
then
-- Esterbrook: 10:23:32 11:44:37 11:46:53 13:11:42
c1.hr = 10; c1.min = 23; c1.sec = 32
c2.hr = 11; c2.min = 44; c2.sec = 37;
c3.hr = 11; c3.min = 46; c3.sec = 53;
c4.hr = 13; c4.min = 11; c4.sec = 42;
else
-- Testing:
c1.hr = 0; c1.min =  1; c1.sec = 00;
c2.hr = 0; c2.min =  4; c2.sec = 00;
c3.hr = 0; c3.min =  6; c3.sec = 20;
c4.hr = 0; c4.min =  9; c4.sec = 00;
end

#41 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Yup.  Changed that to do a test run with full shutters, and didn't change it back.  :)

Thanks.

grnbrg.

#42 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Nice update - I'd made a change to add my own diamond ring shots but I'll keep this one. I will also stick with the original burst mode as it's faster and I've already verified my camera can keep up (with a fast card and quiet mode). The only change I made for me (other than my exposure settings) was to move the c1, c2, c3, c4 times to the top of the script to make it easier to scroll to when editing in-camera.

#43 pierros

pierros

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Really nice script, super useful for all of us hunting the eclipse this year :)

I figured it would be easier to manage suggestions, fixes and edits by posting it on a repository.

I took the liberty to publish it on Github

https://github.com/p...s/eclipse_magic

(of course keeping the orginal author copyright and license)

@grnbrg let me know if you are OK with it, and more importantly if you have a Github account I can give you access or transfer the repo to you

(also I found a couple of syntax issues that I can push as a fix on the repo)

#44 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

I have a github account, but haven't used it much, and won't be getting good enough at it to worry about before the eclipse.  Maybe after, but it will likely be largely abandoned until 2024.  ;)

Send me an email with either your corrected script, or a diff, and I will add it to what I have, though.  Or I can pull it from the repo you've set up.  :)  It's GPL -- if nothing else, you have the absolute right to fork.

grnbrg.

#45 fielderda

fielderda

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

I really liked ML with my Canon 60D. Now with my new 

80D, there's no ML build for it yet - unless anyone knows different.

Let's hope it will come out soon. ML for Canon cameras is fantastic!

#46 Intihuatana

Intihuatana

Mariner 2

• Loc: Parkland, FL

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

Heading to Nebraska for the eclipse, this is exactly what I was looking for..thanks for putting it together ...!!.

It would be nice if we can all post our resulting images here after the event

#47 ranger10x

ranger10x

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Fantastic job!  I think I’m ready and will be heading to Casper Wyoming from Houston.  At least I will be driving to mild weather and the plus is the eclipse.

#48 chitro

chitro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

this is great! ...now anyone knows how to synch camera time using computer to a timeserver? TIA

#49 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

I've made a one-character update to the 1.7.0 script, fixing the reported buglet with the test flag.

As far as time... Get a reliable time source -- either a time synced laptop or phone or (ideally) a GPS receiver, and fiddle with the camera menu until it's "close enough". smile.gif

grnbrg.

#50 chitro

chitro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

I think I got close enough to less than a sec... that'll do :-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics