•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar eclipse glasses question

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 winterymix

winterymix

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

I can remember getting a sense, from previous eclipses, to look at the sun briefly with the protective glasses.   Just a sense of not wanting to build up an image of the sun on my maculae for a duration of time.   Manufacturers of these eclipse glasses state that the wearer can look at the sun through them for a while.  I'd feel better about it if I had some sort of light transmission device that could be used to measure the UV and IR throughput of eclipse glasses.  "Show me the evidence".

Of course a bigger threat is looking through telescope at the sun with an inadequate filter.  Permanent damage can occur in less than a second.

#27 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Some of these products do have independent test reports published on the Web. Ralph Chou has done some of them in the past.

I admit that I did once borrow a portable (but expensive) spectrograph to verify that my LS80 DSII H-alpha scope was not letting anything but H-alpha through. I think I posted the graph somewhere, and it was just the single spike.

George

#28 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Parker Colorado

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

I notice the link to walmart is no longer working plus i notice amazon had these at one time and they pulled them off so i would assume those solar eclipse glasses were not safe.

#29 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

I am not sure why eclipse glasses come with instructions saying not to use them for too long.  If they are truly density 6 across the whole spectrum, it should be as safe to look at the sun through them as to look at the moon without them.

#30 winterymix

winterymix

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I am not sure why eclipse glasses come with instructions saying not to use them for too long.  If they are truly density 6 across the whole spectrum, it should be as safe to look at the sun through them as to look at the moon without them.

From a scientific standpoint, this is solid logic.

During the eclipse, millions of people will be trusting these

eclipse glasses.  Hopefully none of the eclipse glasses will have a manufacturing flaw.

#31 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

I found them again on amazon read the one star review's.

https://www.amazon.c...se glasses 2017

#32 winterymix

winterymix

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

I just viewed a high intensity light bulb in a desk lamp using the Rainbow Symphony glasses.

Yes, the glowing filament was visible.

I will trust these for visual looks at partial phases.  The looks will be brief, 5 seconds at a time.

Damage to the macula is somewhat dose related.   If the glasses don't leak at all, no problem.

Without directly testing the pair you are using, you a making a little leap of faith.

Why stare at the partial phases for anything longer that a brief look?  

Sure it is interesting to look at but no need to stare insatiably.

Regarding the Baader filter material, I trust it more because of the accompanying documentation

and the Baader reputation.

#33 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

You can see the filament of a light bulb through proper D=6.0 eclipse glasses -- all of them.  

No problem.

If they are D=6.0 then they should be safe for viewing indefinitely, not just for a few seconds.

#34 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

I just viewed a high intensity light bulb in a desk lamp using the Rainbow Symphony glasses.
Yes, the glowing filament was visible.

I will trust these for visual looks at partial phases. The looks will be brief, 5 seconds at a time.
Damage to the macula is somewhat dose related. If the glasses don't leak at all, no problem.
Without directly testing the pair you are using, you a making a little leap of faith.
Why stare at the partial phases for anything longer that a brief look?
Sure it is interesting to look at but no need to stare insatiably.

Regarding the Baader filter material, I trust it more because of the accompanying documentation
and the Baader reputation.

The link on NASAs site says this:

Note: Baader Planetarium's AstroSolar Safety Film and AstroSolar Photo Film, sold in the U.S. by Alpine Astronomical and Astro-Physics (see below), are not certified to meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard and are not designed to work as eclipse shades or handheld solar filters. Baader's AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film, on the other hand, does meet the ISO 12312-2 safety standard for filters for eyes-only direct viewing of the Sun.

I've been using the stuff for years

#35 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Yes; there's an article by Ralph Chou that explains all this.  Density 5.0 is more than enough to prevent injury, so long as it covers UV and IR as well as visible light.  However, density 5.0 is not comfortable for direct viewing; it's a bit too light.  (It can be comfortable when used in front of a telescope; the image in the telescope is dimmed by magnification.)  The ISO standard calls for density 6.0, which should be safe for indefinite viewing because it should give you the same brightness as a sunlit landscape on earth.  Nonetheless, for reasons I don't understand, many eclipse glasses say not to use them more than a few minutes at a time.

They're being cautious.

#36 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

#37 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

#38 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

The ones at Walmart are printed on the inside with "eclipseglasses.com". Which is American Paper Optics.

Not "Homay", whoever they are. I'd stick to American Paper Optics, rainbow symphony, Seymour solar, Thousand Oaks, Kendrick, Baader planetarium as they've been producing solar filters for years.
  • SteveRosenow likes this

#39 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Looks like amazon took the link down.

I threw them in the trash after reading all the reviews glad lowes had a reputable vendor like ameican paper optics.

#40 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I came across the Carson CloseUp 7x18mm Close-Focus Monocular (CF-718):

https://www.amazon.c...N7YZDFKV7K36G0Y

I was curious if it can actually zoom in much better than a non close-focus version. 

The ones at Walmart are printed on the inside with "eclipseglasses.com". Which is American Paper Optics.

Not "Homay", whoever they are. I'd stick to American Paper Optics, rainbow symphony, Seymour solar, Thousand Oaks, Kendrick, Baader planetarium as they've been producing solar filters for years.

The ones i got at lowes have american paper optics printed on left ear as the manufacture with address plus this website www.3dglassesonline.com with www.eclipseglasses.com in the middle of the glasses.

Edited by astroclint, 08 August 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#41 Philipp

Philipp

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Do not use eclipse glasses behind a binocular!

I just made this short video: https://youtu.be/SAyeBC3CRmU

(I know, a sequence is out of focus... )

Is the video useful, or should I delete it because it is stupid and embarrassing?

• Michael Covington and comprapescado like this

#42 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

It's a public service.  I have shared it on Facebook.

• comprapescado likes this

#43 Philipp

Philipp

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

It's a public service.  I have shared it on Facebook.

thanks!

#44 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Just went on ebay and saw those glasses on there  it's unreal what people will pay for them all from china.

http://www.ebay.com/...HMAAOSw5JJZkPjd

#45 dghundt

dghundt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

I was at Ace hardware today replacing some of my gear the airline lost and they had some glasses right at the counter. They were American Paper Optics and shaped correctly. No price gouging.

#46 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

76 dollars unreal and from china and I threw mine away its unreal on what people would trust there eyesight to.

#47 rk23

rk23

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

Curious: I've got "solar viewers" (the cards, rather than glasses) from Thousand Oaks, and they say they meet ISO 12312-2:2015, but they also say they're optical density 5.  I'm confident that they're safe, but hasn't everyone been saying the ISO standard required density 6?  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics