•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Leuven Star Atlas – making a publication quality stellar atlas from scratch

charts art
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

OK cool... FYI I happened to be at an open source scientific software workshop today and was talking with one of the maintainers of AstroPy.  I showed her this thread and your work, and she thought it was pretty cool (and emailed herself the link to your atlas page).

I did speak to her and another AstroPy dev about one of my desires for EAA/Night Vision astronomy, which is to somehow get galaxies plotted based on surface brightness (and, possibly, amount of H-alpha emission).  This got them both wracking their brains for ideas for how to implement this kind of search, over which catalogues, but they couldn't come up with any concrete suggestions over the course of a quick lunch conversation.

• papics likes this

#77 Anurag Shevade

Anurag Shevade

Starfleet Astrosystems

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

Any update on the atlas? Eaget to see finished one!

Edited by Maau the Lynx, 10 December 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#78 papics

papics

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:22 AM

Any update on the atlas? Eaget to see finished one!

Hi, I have not made much progress in the past two months, but the project is definitely alive :) I will post an update here as soon as I have more significant news than this one. Thanks for the support!

Cheers,

Peter

• rockethead26 likes this

#79 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

Why don't you put this project on Kickstarter or something?  I'm sure many of us will pledge!

#80 Anurag Shevade

Anurag Shevade

Starfleet Astrosystems

• Vendors

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the update Peter!

Looking forward to it!

#81 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

If you put it on kickstarter, I'm also interested.

Would be nice to know what you have improved with respect to IDSA and Uranometrica.

#82 papics

papics

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

Why don't you put this project on Kickstarter or something?  I'm sure many of us will pledge!

It is actually part of the plan, especially to estimate the number of books that should be printed in the first run, but I want to first a) have my automated labelling algorithm properly implemented, and b) at least nearly finalise the non-stellar database, so I can give a more-or-less final and concrete production timeline. I don't want to promise something on a crowd-sourcing page and then be months late with meeting those goals. I never liked projects that did that :) 

#83 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

It is actually part of the plan, especially to estimate the number of books that should be printed in the first run, but I want to first a) have my automated labelling algorithm properly implemented, and b) at least nearly finalise the non-stellar database, so I can give a more-or-less final and concrete production timeline. I don't want to promise something on a crowd-sourcing page and then be months late with meeting those goals. I never liked projects that did that smile.gif

Peter,

any update, any news?

Thomas

#84 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

It seems he's moved out of the astronomy field. As a profession.

Edited by Jim Curry, 05 March 2018 - 06:15 PM.

#85 papics

papics

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Hi everyone, 

sorry for the lack of updates, yes, I left astronomy as a profession, but since this atlas was anyway a hobby project, this change will not really influence its future. Of course now I am in a completely new field (research around traffic and related issues such as emissions, etc.), which means that work is mentally much more tiring, so I am not really up to working on such a demanding project after work hours, therefore I will need a bit of time to settle in and get motivated again to work on this.

Cheers and clear skies,

Peter

#86 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Peter,

Enjoy your new career and I'm looking forward to when you get the energy to work on the atlas. Good luck!

#87 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

Hi everyone, 

sorry for the lack of updates, yes, I left astronomy as a profession, but since this atlas was anyway a hobby project, this change will not really influence its future. Of course now I am in a completely new field (research around traffic and related issues such as emissions, etc.), which means that work is mentally much more tiring, so I am not really up to working on such a demanding project after work hours, therefore I will need a bit of time to settle in and get motivated again to work on this.

Cheers and clear skies,

Peter

Peter,

thanks a lot for the update and all the best for your, it is very understandable the a new job is demanding. Then, off course we  all hope that you can finish the star atlas, if is a really great project. Take your time!

Thomas

#88 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi everyone, 

Cheers and clear skies,

Peter

Good luck in the new career direction!  And don't let this unfinished project nag on you.  Get back to it when you really feel like it, even if it is years.  Nothing worse than forcing something.  Nothing better than when it effortlessly flows out of you from motivation, desire, interest.

• Phil Cowell, DHEB and papics like this

#89 brentknight

brentknight

Soyuz

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:42 AM

Peter,

I can't quite follow your statement that Interstellarum has "messed up" double star annotations. As a keen visual observer, I find Interstellarum's presentation quite excellent. One really has to root around a lot in that atlas to find any instance of what you describe - and even then I wonder if such instances don't actually mean there is a further star there that is not part of the double-star system.

As a keen student of starlore and star names, I must also take issue with your statement about Atik. Paul Kunitzsch is arguably the modern authority. His work with Tim Smart, "A Dictionary of Modern Star Names" (Sky Publishing, 2nd Ed., 2006; it is a small book, but it is just a small excerpt from a large body of work by Kunitzsch, mostly written in German) states:

"Omicron Per: Atik - Applied in recent times (also to Zeta Per), from an abbreviation of the indigenous-Arabic name 'atiq al-thurayya', 'the collarbone of the Pleiades,' for Omicron and Zeta Per, after their location in the indigenous-Arabic asterism here."

To understand this you need to know that Al-Thurayya is the large figure of a woman - the woman's head is the Pleiades, her outstretched right arm runs through Perseus, her right hand is our Cassiopeia. It is entirely fitting that both Omicron and Zeta are Atik, the collarbone. The flip-flop among atlases in the assignment of Atik to one or the other of the two stars is the result of our modern insistence on standardisation which does not always do justice to the way these names were coined.

You state that the IAU-approved designation is Omicron=Atik. Fair enough. Yet you plan to depart from the IAU-approved constellation lines, inventing ones of your own. Not consistent, sir.

CS, Christopher Hay

I'm sorry this project seems to have died, but I just wanted to say something about all the effort I have put in to try and figure out what the issue was with Atik, and all along there was a good answer right here!

#90 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

Hi Peter, since you are pursuing this as a hobby project, do you have any interest in releasing your current code as open source?  I think it could be turned into a web service pretty easily, and I'm sure that would be very interesting to people...

• suburbanskies, Oleg Astro and Ukrainian like this

#91 blackhaz

blackhaz

Vanguard

• Loc: London, England

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

Reviving this old thread. It would be a pity to loose all the code written in a black hole. Very much interested to reuse the code to generate own star finder charts. I have tried e-mailing author a number of times but couldn't get any response.

#92 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

Interested in plotting larger, duffuse objects, Sharpless, LDN, LDN, IFN.the off the beaten track obje xct S try at people are now more aware of and more are being picked up by amateurs. Getting useful outlines might be tricky, using observing notes or digitising online survey data might help.
This atlas certainly looks very well put together.

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charts, art

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics