•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Used LX50 Value

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hyak

Hyak

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

There's a used 8" LX50 for sale locally. I haven't looked at it in person, but the seller says that it's in good shape and from the photos the optics look to be in excellent shape. The asking price is $600, is that reasonable?

I have an LX90 but am looking for a beater telescope grin.gif. I live off a dirt road and during the summer everything gets coated in dust (a lot of dust). I've never used the LX90 at home because of that, it's pretty much reserved for our club's dark sky site. I'd like to have something (cheap) to use at home. The skies at my house are almost as good as the dark sky site. 

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

To me... and keep in mind I am not a meade fan and less so LX anything... sounds quite high, especially if he doesn't have to waste time packing it up for shipping...

my 2 cents

#3 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

$600 is quite reasonable for an LX50. I paid $550 for a Meade LX3 in excellent condition (it came with a ton of 1980s-era astrophotography gear), and regret getting rid of it.

#4 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

As parts, the OTA is worth $300-$400.  The LX50 drive and fork is another $100.  The tripod is worth $100-150.  The wedge is worth $80 or so.   $600 isn't a steal, but not bad at all if it is in excellent shape, or if it comes with any additional useful accessories.

Edited by jallbery, 21 June 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#5 Hyak

Hyak

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I can probably get him to lower the price. It does look to be in excellent condition from the photos he posted, but photos don't always match reality. If I can get him to knock the price down a little and it's in good shape I'll probably go ahead and buy it. It comes with a wedge, which I might be able to use with my LX90. 

#6 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

It comes with a wedge, which I might be able to use with my LX90. 

The LX90 uses a different mounting bolt arrangement, but there is an adapter plate to allow you to use the LX90 on the LX50 wedge and tripod.

https://www.astronom...late_p4144.aspx

#7 Hyak

Hyak

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Asked for some better photos and did a little research, it looks to be a 2080 LX2 rather than an LX50. Based on what I've read, the price should be a couple hundred lower. I'll see if I can get him to knock the price down. 

#8 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

Asked for some better photos and did a little research, it looks to be a 2080 LX2 rather than an LX50. Based on what I've read, the price should be a couple hundred lower. I'll see if I can get him to knock the price down. 

Definitely worth less, and I'd definitely want to check the condition of the mirrors and the quality of the optics-- some of those early Meade scopes have problems with coatings going bad, particularly on the secondaries, if I remember correctly.

#9 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Sputnik

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:53 PM

About ten days ago (Oct. 7,2020) I bought this LX50 for $100.00.

It was still in its original and tattered shipping box, but had been left lonely, unused, and unloved for at least 10 years.

It was dirty on the outside and had some spider webs on the inside.  The owner had kept the front cover on, so the corrector plate was fine, but hadn't kept the visual back closed.

This came with encoders installed, however, the DEC encoder wire had been pulled from the encoder body.

It also came with the manual control and an Autostar which (not being familiar with the LX50, but other Autostar ETX's), I assumed that this was the goto controller (dumb I know).  I was so dumb at the time of purchase that I didn't know that the Magellan II even existed or was necessary or how it interfaced with the scope.

This also came with no EPs, star diagonal, or printed manuals.

I have since learned that the Magellan II is very rare, so, having read about LX50 lovers trying to use a Magellan I, I bought one on CN.  Of course, about 10 days later, I found a Magellan II for sale in the UK and bought this also.

I have only been able to observe from the storage space shown in the pic.  I've only viewed Saturn and Jupiter.  I wasn't impressed.  My RV6 would have easily produced better images under ideal conditions.  However, considering that I was viewing Saturn and Jupiter barely 18* off the horizon from a storage space with security lights abounding,  I think it did ok.

I was particularly impressed with the image not shifting when I focused.

I like this scope.  I owned a Celestar 8 and I agree with the comparisons of the two scopes by others.  However, my Celestar had very good optics, so I am reserving comment on the LX50 until I have a better viewing session.

Sam

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP9411.JPG

• skawtland likes this

#10 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

You can always find a LX200 right fork with the DE gears and do this to it.

https://groups.io/g/...ep/message/8326

https://groups.io/g/...ep/message/7989

https://onstep.group...in/message/7990

• Lrsafari likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics