•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI224mc - v1.2 vs v1.3 amp glow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: ID

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

I sent my camera back to ZWO to have the v1.3 board upgrade done.  Tonight I finally got a chance to take some dark frames to compare the difference in amp glow between the two versions.

The last set of darks that I took with my '224 was a couple months ago.  I used the same exposure and gain settings, and the same dark frame generation method in DSS.  Given that, these still aren't a complete apples-to-apples comparison.  The v1.2 dark used 14 frames, and the sensor temperature was 12C.  The v1.3 dark uses 20 frames at a sensor temperature of 29C.  So if anything, the new version is at a slight disadvantage due to the higher sensor temperature.  I believe you can see the effects of higher sensor temperature on the increase of noise (hot pixels) in the v1.3 dark.

Both darks are 60 second exposures at a gain of 200.  I performed identical linear stretches to both darks to bring out the amp glow pattern.

v1.2 dark:

ASI224_1.2.jpg

#2 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: ID

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

v1.3 dark:

ASI224_1.3.jpg

I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that the new version dramatically reduces amp glow.

• leveye likes this

#3 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• ***--
  • Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

I really think ZWO puts stuff out to market way too early and with little testing. Glad this worked out for you.

• Merk likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics