•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CN Report: Binocular Resolution: Handheld vs Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:49 AM

CN Report: Binocular Resolution

Yes, the PDF file is not posted yet. Bear with us.

Allister

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

Interesting report Ed.

No REAL surprises for ME in there !

It would have been even more interesting if some Image Stabilised binoculars could have been included in the experiments !

Thanks again for a very valuable contribution .

Kenny

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

Very interesting. Nice job, Ed.

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for your comments.

For anyone interested in further discussion about this article and not yet not acquainted with the binocular forum, I would ask that you please visit this lengthy thread on the article which took off over there rather than here. You will find a number of things explained.

thanks

edz

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

Terrific article.

I gather the tests were done with the binoculars held horizontally?

Armand

#6 lunar-tic

lunar-tic

Sputnik

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

I bought a 15x70 BARSKA binocular with tripod adapter for a great price and wish I had bought it years ago. I have been using unconventional holds which relieve the arms and hold them a bit steadier. Fold your arms in front of you, resting the binocular on one arm and use the other hand for pointing. I have also opened the hand of the supporting arm to block intrusive light from one side.

Other aids: Lean on a pole or the corner of a building with one hand in contact with it to help steady your hold. I see so much more amd better with my 15x70. It is very rare to use my 7x50. With these steadying holds it is better than with a too-light tripod. I have not yet submitted an article on these techniques because I need someone to take the photos of the holds.

It is amazing how many features on the Moon I can now see and identify with the 15x70.

Ben

#7 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

Very nice and well written report Ed. There is a lot of good info in that little report. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics