•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

do the meade usb to serial drivers support win10?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billc2016

billc2016

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Mass, USA.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

cant really find a definitive answer one way or the other . even on the autostar suite disk . the drivers reference win 7

Thanks

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Yes, the Meade USB to RS-232 (Serial) Adapter only references Windows operating systems up through Windows 7 (not Windows 10):  http://www.meade.com...al-adapter.html

#3 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

All my USB to serial adapters including the old Meade one included with the LXD650 CDS electronics were discovered by the Windows 10 OS without intervention. Painless. I did once have to update to the latest online driver in the Windows update cloud when a yellow mark showed up. I'm sure you've dealt with all that. Bottom line, the drivers are in Windows 10.

Caveat, every time you plug and unplug the adapter into a different USB port, a new config with a new serial port will be set up. This gets really annoying but it's life. This is not a Windows 10 thing, it's just a thing. You either leave it plugged in or use the "Device Cleanup Tool" listed here to remove unattached devices. If you go back to the start it will get configured as it was initially. I do this as a matter of course now.

http://www.uwe-siebe...sc_tools_e.html

-drl

#4 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Let me just state here because it may help someone

1) Plug in the adapter

2) Right click on Start, select "Device Manager"

3) Look under "Ports" for the USB to serial adapter - should come out on COM1 and COM3 or the like with modern computers having no native serial ports

4) If you see a yellow mark (exclamation point) right click on device and select "Properties", then "Driver" tab, then "Update Driver", then "Search automatically..." and it should go online and fix it.

-drl

#5 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

There is only one serial to USB adapter brand that i & many other trust to work each & every time. FTDI

http://www.ftdichip....es/USBRS232.htm

• Rockman likes this

#6 billc2016

billc2016

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone, actually found a friend with an 'old' win7 pro laptop that I can use. I figure clean out the junk and it will be fine for "driving" the scope and running backyardeos on it (and the Pro version will let me remote desktop to it when it gets cold outside again ;) )  So I can put off Dealing with win 10 while I get the basics of computer control down. 

#7 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Using a Win10 laptop, I picked up a Tripp Lite USB/RS232 adapter from my local electronics warehouse that handles video surveillance systems.  Popped in the driver that came with the adapter and downloaded the Meade software updater for my Autostar II and had no issues.  

I suspect it's more an issue with your computer device manager and/or any lingering settings in the Windows registry that might be causing you issues.   RS232 is such old and widespread technology and USB has been around so long that there should be no issue with Win10 or any version of windows having problems on a clean install.  

It's more likely on a port conflict and old Registry entries causing issues.  

#8 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Gday Paul

RS232 is such old and widespread technology and USB has been around so long that there should be no issue with Win10

Two problems here

a) You need a supported driver for the chipset used in the adapter

b) The driver needs to "properly" emulate rs232 ( and many dont )

For a), there are specific notes on the Prolific site that they no longer support older chips for W8.1 onwards

NOTE:

Windows 8/8.1/10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X EOL chip versions.
    Run PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program in Windows XP/Vista/7 to check chip version.
    Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98 and Windows ME driver technical support are discontinued.

Not sure what chipset is in the Meade converter, but if it is Prolific, you can download the chip checker and see whats in the unit, and see if it is still supported.

Not sure if FTDI have superceded chips

Re b) That is rafferties rules for some of the cheaper chipsets, that aren't properly designed/implemented.

There are years of anecdotal evidence that Belkin units dont play properly with Meades when in update mode vs normal mode  ( ie when streaming pure bytes, vs only ASCII printables ).

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• AntMan1 likes this

#9 billc2016

billc2016

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone, since I was able to get my hands on a used win 7 laptop, I did not need to buy a new win 10 laptop. Installed the Meade drivers from the cd, Stellarium and plugged in the cables, and was able to control the scope out of the box. Puts off dealing with win 10 for the time being :) 

#10 quigly777

quigly777

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

OK, here is my story.  Have not used my 10" LX200 GPS in several years.  Checked it out, made new cables for power using 90 degree connectors.  I will run the scope off a sealed 12V lead acid battery.  Had it running after a couple days, another story, and decided to try connecting it to my laptop.

The Meade cables I had, USB to Serial adapter, and Serial to scope RJ12 adapter was purchased when I had an 8" LX200.  The package then had the cables, Autostar Suite disk and LPI camera.

The USB to serial adapter, apparently an old Prolific chip set, was not recognized in Device Manager on my Windows 10 Laptop.  Checked the pinouts on the Serial to RS232 adapter and looked OK according to some diagrams I found on the LX200GPS Yahoo Group.

Next I tried a USB to Serial Adapter, Prolific chip set TA,  that I use for an amateur radio application.  That was recognized by the computer, but still no connection with the ASU Updater program.  Autostar not found error message.

And yes, I did check the com port was correct.

Got a Gearmo USB to Serial Adapter from Amazon, 2 day delivery, with the FTDI chip set.  Installed the driver I got with the adapter.

WOW, no error message, seemed to connect!!!  Tried a cleanup garbage command, no error, changed user info, I had moved, no error.

Then I started Autostar Suite and did a pretend 2  star alignment and a goto Polaris in the living room using the software hand controller in Autostar Suite.

Note I was only running 9600 baud.  Not sure how fast the scope can accept data, so, that is my question to the group.

What baud rate do you run when connecting the LX200GPS to a laptop running Autostar suite?

#11 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

Gday quigly

9600 is normally quite sufficient to "run" the scope for all normal operations,

but it will work up to 115k happily on a good converter.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#12 jaymcgil19

jaymcgil19

Vendor-LX200 CLASSIC ELECTRONICS EXCHANGE

• Vendors
  • Loc: S/E Michigan

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

A lot has been discussed about the problem with Windows 10. It appears that the problem is with counterfeit Prolific chips that Windows 10 can identify. Here is a work-around that I have found to work with these counterfeit chips.

http://www.totalcard...o-code-10-error

John M

#13 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

SamTheMan here.

I'm wanting to connect my LXD55 to my Win10 laptop vi Autostar Suite.

I have installed the software and it runs ok.

And, I  think that I have the correct cables and following the instructions.

However, my usb-swerial device has no driver installed and I cannot find one.

Help!

I do have a good Win XP machine that I would actually prefer to use.

Would this be a step in the right direction?

thx to all

Sam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics