•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SLT Mount, motor controller firmware update problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

When I try to use MCupdate (http://www.celestron...re-updates-v224) it says it can not find the scope.

Current firmware is 5.14

I have been able to update the firmware on the Hand Controller to 4.18 - which the fine print says I "should" be able to update the firmware using the HC port. Perhaps this is not true.

I've tried Celestron Firmware Manager - but it can't see the scope either (I think the mount is too old to use this package).

I've tried Windows 10 64 bit. (under different compatibility modes, no joy).

Window 7 64 bit with a different laptop.

The HCupdate program works just ducky so I know the cable works (I did two successful firmware levels).

This is the USB to serial adaptor I bought - https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses a FTDI chip, avoiding the Prolific chip like the plague due to issues with it updating firmware on my motorcycle - and advise from several sites regarding the better quality USB to serial adaptors. Drivers come on a miniture CD and has data indicator LEDS so you KNOW bits are bitting. :D

Anybody got some ideas?

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

Tried on my old Thinkpad A31 running Windows XP SP3 (32bit). Same error.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

Ron,

Is the mount working OK?

You are correct about the firmware versions .... anything above HC firmware NXS4.13 and you can run MCupdate through the hand controller connection. Since you have a v4 hand controller CFM isn't used at all.

If the mount is operational (and that means the motor controller board is working) then the problem is most likely with the FTDI based USB-RS232 serial adapter. Yes, it's not a common issue but there have been reports of things working with one app (HCupdate or NexRemote, etc.) and not working with another app like MCupdate.

I'd first try another type of USB-serial adapter.

If the mount isn't working (can't do an initial alignment) you'll probably need a new MC board (quite a bit more expensive than a different USB-serial adapter).

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

I re-read the instructions on Mike Swanson's site and found this bit that I had skimmed over: "If you are using hand control 4.13 or higher and connecting via the port on the bottom of the hand control do not use the INFO/UNDO button sequence to put the hand control in the programming state - this is only used when updating the hand control firmware, not the motor control.".

Oops. :foreheadslap:

I tell ya, I am way too good at skimming. :p

It's working now - which usually happens when you follow the instructions. 

Thanks for the reply Mark. :bow:

#5 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

For folks that may find this thread in a search; this is the page mentioned above:

http://www.nexstarsi...pgradeHowTo.htm

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Ron, That's a really good reminder about that little item (I had forgotten about it too). Glad it's all working now.

#7 Levitate

Levitate

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kent Washington

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

I am having problems with the MC firmware on my Nexstar SLT mount.  I am trying to update it via MCupdate and the usb on the bottom of my nexstar+ HC. I have already used the CFM to update my HC. When I use MCupdate it recognizes my serial port # but cannot connect. "Hand control firmware does not support upgrade interface. Use your mounts PC port or update the HC" My HC version is NXS 5.29.6225 which is the current version right? 

#8 jambi99

jambi99

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa , Canada

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

I re-read the instructions on Mike Swanson's site and found this bit that I had skimmed over: "If you are using hand control 4.13 or higher and connecting via the port on the bottom of the hand control do not use the INFO/UNDO button sequence to put the hand control in the programming state - this is only used when updating the hand control firmware, not the motor control.".

Oops. foreheadslap.gif

I tell ya, I am way too good at skimming. tongue2.gif

It's working now - which usually happens when you follow the instructions. 

Thanks for the reply Mark. bow.gif

Getting the same error with my skyprodigy. How did you fix your problem?

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Getting the same error with my skyprodigy. How did you fix your problem?

Hi,

As I note in the SkyProdigy section here at my website:

https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm

the SkyProdigy mount (MC) has not had any firmware updates since it was introduced.  

The StarSense hand control has had several updates, so back on that firmware page I just linked to, read the article "How to Upgrade Hand Control Firmware - NexStar+ and StarSense".  But, read this as well:

https://www.nexstars...wareUpdates.htm

Some of the first SkyProdigy scopes shipped in 2014 or earlier than 1.06.13201 should NOT be upgraded as they have a StarSense camera that is not compatible with the newest hand control firmware.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics