•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are you planning to observe? Put a pin in the map.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#26 AJ

AJ

Viking 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

Just curious to see if whoever pinned Point 36 on the map would offer an explaination as to why he/she isn't willing to drive just a few minutes to experience totality.  Point 36 will probably experience 99.99% of totality, but that last .01% will be a HUGE difference!

Attached Files

#27 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hey point 32, we are going to be close by - send me a pm if you want details where I will be - the folks at my B&B are having a big brunch in Victor, ID for eclipse watchers. We are also hoping to get some night viewing while there. I will have my TV76 for Milky Way scanning. Cheers!

#28 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

I can't help but notice how glaringly inaccurate the umbra path is, on that map. 

#29 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

I can't help but notice how glaringly inaccurate the umbra path is, on that map. 

It's a shared map, and some people are dragging that layer around, inadvertently.  Google doesn't allow fine grained edit permissions.  I fully expect someone to delete all the pins at some point.

I may just delete the umbra, and leave the center, northern and southern lines.

grnbrg.

#30 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

I may have dragged it around trying to fix it, but in doing so I'm afraid I made it worse. ****

My apologies, for that gaffe. lol.gif lol.gif

#31 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

I added a pin but somehow moved the umbra too. I think I got it back to almost right though. Sorry. blush.gif

#32 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

I am noticing a trend - every time a new pin is added, the polygon representing the umbra path either gets moved or distorted.

#33 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

I am noticing a trend - every time a new pin is added, the polygon representing the umbra path either gets moved or distorted.

Heh. I deleted it. It's not really needed, anyway. smile.gif

grnbrg.

#34 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

I just found out today that a friend of my father's owns a farm near the center of totality in Kentucky. The house is will be full, but I am welcome to park/camp/observe there. Now I just need some good weather!

#35 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

Just dropped a pin at the 220/487 intersection SW of Casper, an acquaintance from another forum who lives nearby suggested it as a good spot away from what I'm sure will be near-total (haha) chaos in Casper.

#36 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

Pin 36 might be me..  Our hotel is in Cleveland TN... But we will be mobile

decided to NOT bring the AP130. Gonna use my Nikon D750 full frame with my 300mm f4 and the 1.4 teleconverter instead door photo and video

#37 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Put mine in. I'm trying for the one most isolated points in Idaho, but there will probably be people there. grnbrg has a tertiary or quaternary or quinary point near there. (I got mad and finally looked up what came after quaternary.)

https://en.oxforddic...ondary-tertiary

I can also find Vicenary (alt Vigenary) referring to the number 20, in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Edited by seryddwr, 22 July 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#38 NIdahoObserver31

NIdahoObserver31

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Moscow, ID

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Hoping to make it into Lime,Oregon fingerscrossed.gif

If not there we'll certainly be in the area

• CCD-Freak likes this

#39 Waywardwind

Waywardwind

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'll be driving from Plano,TX, which is about 8 hours away. Originally I was going to St. Joseph, MO. The estimates of attendees there range from 50k-500k. There are quite a few place like shopping centers and truck stops for viewing, but I think the area is going to be overwhelmed, it has gotten a lot of pub. My new plan is this: 

(1) Right off Interstate 35 is the Lathrop North Rest Stop area. It is exit 33 coming from Kansas City. I'll get there the night before.

(2) If (1) is too crowded I'll try the same rest stop on the southbound side of the interstate. I'll know either way the night before the         Big Black Out.

(3) If both are too crowded I'll try Lathrop, MO proper. Note that it is practically in the middle of the path line. I-35 @ MO Highway        116 is almost dead-on middle. There is a Trex Mart Store there, and an enclosed park & ride site across the street.

Doing a Google satellite fly-over and going street level this area is already crowded! And I'm assuming these pics were                    taken on any ordinary day two years ago. This would be the prime area, but too many people probably already know that.

(4)The worst case scenario is to just go east on 116 a bit and drop slightly down on US highway 69. There's a Watkin Mills SP. Or,       I'll just drive along US 69 (S) or on MO 116. The Google maps show plenty of highway shoulders and plenty of space away             from the road. I'll just park off road if I have to. I'm there just to view, and won't have any elaborate camera set ups, or                     equipment. Finding a place should be fairly easy north of KC. I may not be exactly on the middle of the POT, but I'll be in total         path somewhere. So, I'll try the Lathrop Rest Stop, Trex Mart Store (Lathrop), or I'll just roam the path, and park.

#40 dragracingdan

dragracingdan

Viking 1

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

I'm point 93. Whoever is point 40 give me a shout. I'll be there solo

Dan

#41 unclejim

unclejim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Didn't manage to get a pin there but....aiming for a vineyard near Sweetwater, TN.

We're headed for Sweetwater as well,  have a hotel near Knoxville.  Any recommendations on viewing locations in the area?

#42 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

For now plan A is to be in or near Plattsburg, MO.

I'll make my final decision the late afternoon of August 20 after I've looked over the weather forecast.

I plan on sleeping in my car once I get to where ever.

I'm also planning on being self sufficient as far as food and water, because the other unknown is how many people will be trying to get to the path of totality here in my neck of the woods.

#43 Rich_W

Rich_W

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Didn't manage to get a pin there but....aiming for a vineyard near Sweetwater, TN.

We're headed for Sweetwater as well,  have a hotel near Knoxville.  Any recommendations on viewing locations in the area?

It looks like there's a lot of activity in the town of Sweetwater itself. We're planning on going to Tsali Notch vineyard nearby...it looks like a nice site and they say they are planning food, live music, a nice atmosphere.  They do want a head count and we signed on a few months ago....Don't if they still have space but worth checking out. 

#44 GarageSaleReflector

GarageSaleReflector

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

Original hope was to be camping at Red Fish Lake in Idaho, but that isn't going to work out. We have a tent spot in the front yard of a relative who lives in Torrington Wyoming. Haven't seen them in 20+ years so we'll be heading up early to catch up on life.

#45 woolbrig

woolbrig

Messenger

• Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

I don't won't to worry about traffic, so even though we only live about 2 hrs north of Carbondale, IL, we're camping near Sparta, IL and driving to Carbondale Sat & Sun for the festival.  Monday we'll watch the eclipse from our camp site.  It has 2min 7sec of totality.

#46 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

• Loc: Wayland, MA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

I finally decided the location.... Some local enterprising farmers near Crossville, TN have opened up parts of their farms for folks to come camp for the night(s). I just booked one of those on AirBnB... the farm is within 1 mile of the center line, so I won;t need to drive anywhere on E-day..... the farm doesn't have power available for equipment but the owner has graciously offered to charge the batteries at his home if I need any :). I am probably just going to stick with my solar charger.

Now need to line up the camping tent, etc.  

#47 joaoba

joaoba

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Put mine in. I'm trying for the one most isolated points in Idaho, but there will probably be people there. grnbrg has a tertiary or quaternary or quinary point near there. (I got mad and finally looked up what came after quaternary.)

https://en.oxforddic...ondary-tertiary

I can also find Vicenary (alt Vigenary) referring to the number 20, in the Oxford English Dictionary.

I'll be about 15 miles west of you (assuming you're the one near Sage Junction). You pinned a spot that I scouted several months ago, and I drove past it just yesterday on a work trip. That area looks very promising with plenty of two-track roads through miles of open BLM land. Enjoy the trip!

#48 Denver_Mark

Denver_Mark

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'll be in Casper WY laugh.gif

#49 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Ravenna, Nebraska. Plan B is quick access to I-80 anywhere from Lincoln to North Platte. Nice map!

mcroghan,  out plan A is Pleasanton, just a few miles away.  We probably know each other so I'll be on the lookout.

Plan B is a choice of small towns along 100 miles or so of eclipse path that we can aim for depending on weather.  One reason I chose Nebraska is the grid of farm to market roads over most of the entire state.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

#50 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

135 pins so far. Pretty good response I'd say! Pretty well spread out too. There will be crowds in the metro areas, and maybe some traffic jams, but with 2000 miles of totality to choose from I just don't see a "peopleacolipse" everywhere.

• CCD-Freak and Starman81 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics