•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are you planning to observe? Put a pin in the map.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

135 pins so far. Pretty good response I'd say! Pretty well spread out too. There will be crowds in the metro areas, and maybe some traffic jams, but with 2000 miles of totality to choose from I just don't see a "peopleacolipse" everywhere.

I hope you are right.  I have an RV site reserved in a very small town in eastern, Oregon.  No mega sun festivals with live music and such for me.  We will have the trailer well stocked with food and water and Corona beer just in case.  I hope the local gas stations top off their tanks so that there is enough gas for the influx of visitors.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#52 Ben L

Ben L

Sputnik

• Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

I've reserved a 30 ft x 30 ft campsite/viewing site at Andrews Middle School in Andrews, NC, for Sunday night and Monday.  I'd be happy to meet with or have another CN'er or two join us - give me a PM if you're at all interested.  My girlfriend and her dog will be joining me, plus maybe a few friends that haven't confirmed yet.

We're going to drive part way down from Michigan on Saturday.  We're planning to stop in Indy on the way to watch Dunkirk at the 70mm IMAX theater, then continue down and stop somewhere in Kentucky to stay the night.  Sunday we'll finish the drive to Andrews - I'm rather excited to drive on the Tail of the Dragon to get there (not to mention the other great driving/riding roads in the area).

• Ar152 likes this

#53 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

135 pins so far. Pretty good response I'd say! Pretty well spread out too. There will be crowds in the metro areas, and maybe some traffic jams, but with 2000 miles of totality to choose from I just don't see a "peopleacolipse" everywhere.

I marked my spot on the map a few weeks ago, before I realized that it wasn't smart not to have a Plan B, C and D. If the forecast is unfavorable in any given spot you might see a mass exodus to the next major town/city on the path.

#54 dgoldb

dgoldb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Would whoever marked point 120 shoot me a PM?  I am going to observe near Jefferson City but I don't know the best exact spot to set up...looking for some local advice!  Thank you! 

#55 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Anyone else going to be in Huntington, Oregon?

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#56 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Not sure how well this will work -- publicly editable online documents tend to crash and burn. smile.gif

I've created a Google Map, and added a few pins indicating where I have scouted possible observation locations. Feel free to add where you intend to set up for the eclipse. Remember that it is a public document.

Cloudy Nights Eclipse 2017 Observing Sites Map

grnbrg.

Uh, no.  Though I love you all, I sincerely hope to NOT to see any of you during the eclipse.  Maybe we can do lunch afterwards though.

A good hidden eclipse spot with favorable historical weather on centerline is a dish best enjoyed privately.  grin.gif

Though this does give an opportunity to spread misinformation to direct others to where I will not be.  thinking1.gif

EDIT:  Very relieved that there are no pins on any of my potential sites, though a couple are close (within a mile or so).  Whew!

- Jim 

Edited by jrbarnett, 14 August 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#57 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

I just found out today that a friend of my father's owns a farm near the center of totality in Kentucky. The house is will be full, but I am welcome to park/camp/observe there. Now I just need some good weather!

I have two small farms within the totality path in southern Illinois.  But I'm not going there on account of weather risk.

Instead it's south central and eastern Idaho for me this eclipse.  The next North American total, though, I will head to one of my farms.  Ironic that I have property in the totality path for both of those eclipses.

- Jim

#58 Zi Mishkal

Zi Mishkal

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Morgantown, WV

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

I was going to head to SC, but work / family is keeping me in morgantown, WV that day :( So I'll be seeing 80% of it and planning for 2024.

#59 Reno Observer

Reno Observer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I will be heading to Rexburg, ID.  More specifically, just southwest of Rexburg.

#60 k1431545

k1431545

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Elevation approximately 6500 feet, so we should be able to see the eclipse shadow moving away from us. The National Park Service is blocking traffic up the mountain and is via ticket only. Tickets are sold out (1600 people) with transport to/from the mountain.

Backup plan is to go southeast towards Greenville or Clemson SC

#61 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Holiday Inn, York, NE. Looks like I'll be all alone. RIGHT!

#62 Ar152

Ar152

Lift Off

• Loc: Western North Carolina

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

Plan A, Andrews, NC... Plan B, Cry

Edited by Ar152, 15 August 2017 - 05:59 AM.

• Ben L likes this

#63 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

There are no plans A, B, C, etc for me--I have no preference. It is all about the best chance of clear skies. So my plans are numbered instead:

Plan 1 - stay in Lincoln, NE travel to Beatrice, NE to observe eclipse (1B - St. Joseph, MO, 1C - York, NE)

Plan 2 - stay in St. Louis, MO travel to Festus, MO to observe eclipse (Plan 2B - Jefferson City, MO, 2C - Columbia, MO)

Plan 3 - stay in Nashville, TN travel to Gallatin, TN to observe eclipse 

#64 randalloverby

randalloverby

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

I am looking for info on Point 161. I do have a spot in Gaston SC but if traffic looks to be a nightmare then we'll probably settle for a spot South of Lugoff. Thanks.

#65 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

The map is still working. I'm probably going to head to my #1 map pin.

#66 astrogimp

astrogimp

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Victor, Idaho

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

We are lucky to own a cabin on Fox Creek Road, Victor, Idaho that is exactly in the middle of the path of totality! Of course, that is where we will be, unless it is cloudy, which will result in a mad scramble with thousands of others to find a suitable location. That is what happened for the solar eclipse in 1979, when I was driving madly between Helena, Montana and Great Falls, and then back to Helena. Hopefully, no repeat.

#67 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

The map is still working. I'm probably going to head to my #1 map pin.

I made it home from the eclipse. (actually to my parents' house) It was a bit smokey, but perfectly clear. Those two minutes went by really quickly...
  • warrentug likes this

#68 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

I put my pin not where I planned, but where we were able to escape the cloud cover and pulled off the highway in Fairbanks, AK.

#69 kb7wox

kb7wox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Pin 196

2' 03.1" of totality

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics