•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tips and Techniques for Photographing the Total Solar Eclipse

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 Seldom

Seldom

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Very confused about Eclipse Orchestrator.  When I set the aperture to 101mm and the focal length to 1080mm, it says, "Oh great, you're at f/101 then" and the script wizard sets really long exposures that I know will overexpose everything.  I'm assuming that if I use an 540mm telescope with a 2x powermate it doubles the focal length, right?

Sounds like your scope is an NP101is and 1080mm sounds like it won't leave much room for corona even with a full frame DSLR.  Below is a sample taken with an NP101is, a Canon 60Da, and a TV.8x FL reducer.  EFL is 435.

Attached File  IMG_1495 SM.jpg   34.85KB   3 downloads

Edited by Seldom, 17 August 2017 - 10:18 AM.

• Skywise2 likes this

#152 Skywise2

Skywise2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

Apollo,

YOU SAVED ME!!!!  On your recommendation, I scrapped the Powermate idea and just used the TV101NPis with my 5DmkIII.  My tracking went off, and my totality photos were all off-center.  Had I used the Powermate, they would have all been lost due to the reduced field.  I can crop the ones I took and at least and have some decent totality photos.  Thanks again!

#153 Seldom

Seldom

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Apollo,

YOU SAVED ME!!!!  On your recommendation, I scrapped the Powermate idea and just used the TV101NPis with my 5DmkIII.  My tracking went off, and my totality photos were all off-center.  Had I used the Powermate, they would have all been lost due to the reduced field.  I can crop the ones I took and at least and have some decent totality photos.  Thanks again!

Always difficult to track the sun over a long period.  I found this out when I tried making solar flare animations so I used a Hinode solar guider to track the sun for the total eclipse.  It did an excellent job. Stopped working during my 1.75 minutes of totality and then turned right back on for third through fourth contact. (Handle's Seldom BTW)

One result below:

Attached File  SecondHDRHistoUnSharpsmall.jpg   76.57KB   1 downloads

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics