•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tower model 6332

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Its wonderful having slow motion controls on a alt/az, and I found myself using these most of the time.

Robert

Oh, Robert, you would get weak in the knees using a Manon or Mayflower 814.  

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#52 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

Especially a mid-60s 814 by APL! Amazingly good objectives!! 

#53 Olympian

Olympian

Evening Star

• -----
  • Loc: New York and Arizona

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

This Tower model #6332 60mm 750mmFL  refractor telescope brings back memories as a little kid. I read here that this model was only featured in the Sears catalog between 1961 to 1962. That might be wrong. As a little kid I became interested in Astronomy. My father first bought me a small 30x40 short stand telescope. All metal. Cost like $10.00. I quickly got tired of it but loved the view of the Moon and stars in general. My friend who is now a  astrophysicist  called me over to look at his new telescope. It was a beauty. It look so big. It was a white Tasco 60mm by 700mmFL. I really loved it. It looked so professional. So I went home and told my father I wanted a bigger telescope. This was in September of 1960. My birthday which was the next month in October so I asked my father if he could get me a telescope for my birthday that was bigger then the last one. We went to Sears  and as I looked around my father looked at the Sears catalog. Then my father said let's go home now but I said did you order my telescope. He said yes. He looked in the catalog and chose one.  This was in the beginning of October in 1960. I remember coming home from school and I saw a big box in my house. I asked my father what was in it. My father said it was my gift for my birthday. I knew what it was and I remember jumping furiously up-and-down holding my books in my right hand. When I opened the box and it's the same one that I see on this post. Exactly the same. Mine was way better than my friends. Different color, longer focal length, three eyepieces. Barlow lens, erecting prism, Moon and Sun filter. There was also a link chain to keep the legs from not spreading too far out. Also slow motion control knobs for both directions. Great sharp views.  Extremely sharp. I really liked the green Moon filter that was threaded in the 8mm eyepiece and the Sun filter that was threaded in the 5mm eyepiece. Also mine came in that wooden box with that great book. My friend was very impressed with mine. This post and this model really brought back memories. As I got older I kind of took it apart and threw in our storage space with my fathers' tools. I never should of done that. I was just a kid. I gave that wooden case to my friend for his telescope. Many years later I got back into Astronomy again. The scope that I have now is a 6 inch refractor on a computerized mount. Great views with it and great pointing and tracking. I take very good care of this telescope. My father new nothing about optical equipment but he knew to pick out a good model in that Sears catalog. One more thing . That telescope cost back then $70.00. That was a lot of money for a telescope in 1960. It was a great telescope and really brought back  memories for me. Great post.

Edited by Olympian, 28 July 2017 - 11:10 AM.

• Chuck Hards and Terra Nova like this

#54 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

This Tower model #6332 60mm 750mmFL  refractor telescope brings back memories as a little kid. I read here that this model was only featured in the Sears catalog between 1961 to 1962. That might be wrong. As a little kid I became interested in Astronomy. My father first bought me a small 30x40 short stand telescope. All metal. Cost like $10.00. I quickly got tired of it but loved the view of the Moon and stars in general. My friend who is now a  astrophysicist  called me over to look at his new telescope. It was a beauty. It look so big. It was a white Tasco 60mm by 700mmFL. I really loved it. It looked so professional. So I went home and told my father I wanted a bigger telescope. This was in September of 1960. My birthday which was the next month in October so I asked my father if he could get me a telescope for my birthday that was bigger then the last one. We went to Sears  and as I looked around my father looked at the Sears catalog. Then my father said let's go home now but I said did you order my telescope. He said yes. He looked in the catalog and chose one.  This was in the beginning of October in 1960. I remember coming home from school and I saw a big box in my house. I asked my father what was in it. My father said it was my gift for my birthday. I knew what it was and I remember jumping furiously up-and-down holding my books in my right hand. When I opened the box and it's the same one that I see on this post. Exactly the same. Mine was way better than my friends. Different color, longer focal length, three eyepieces. Barlow lens, erecting prism, Moon and Sun filter. There was also a link chain to keep the legs from not spreading too far out. Also slow motion control knobs for both directions. Great sharp views.  Extremely sharp. I really liked the green Moon filter that was threaded in the 8mm eyepiece and the Sun filter that was threaded in the 5mm eyepiece. Also mine came in that wooden box with that great book. My friend was very impressed with mine. This post and this model really brought back memories. As I got older I kind of took it apart and threw in our storage space with my fathers' tools. I never should of done that. I was just a kid. I gave that wooden case to my friend for his telescope. Many years later I got back into Astronomy again. The scope that I have now is a 6 inch refractor on a computerized mount. Great views with it and great pointing and tracking. I take very good care of this telescope. My father new nothing about optical equipment but he knew to pick out a good model in that Sears catalog. One more thing . That telescope cost back then $70.00. That was a lot of money for a telescope in 1960. It was a great telescope and really brought back  memories for me. Great post.

Great story! I will never forget the first view of the box in which my 6344 was waiting. My parents were the best!

-drl

#55 sbrogden

sbrogden

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

I recently bought a Tower model 6332 at a yard sale.  I know very little about telescopes, but looks like this is a pretty nice one, especially for the $10 I paid for it.  All the parts appear to be there except the instruction manual.  I cleaned all the lenses, put the telescope together, but can't get it to focus.  I don't know if I have it assembled correctly.  Does anyone have a 6332 instruction manual you could scan and email me?  I'm a brand new member on Cloudy Nights.  Thanks!

#56 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

I don't think these ever came with a manual, just a booklet on astronomy.

Your focuser tubes should be approx where these are when using the supplied star diagonal

and eyepieces. If not somethings off like a flipped element in the objective.

The objective lens, surface 1 is the weak curve and 2 is a stronger curve if viewed from the

edge. 3 is the only concave surface and mates with 2. 4 in nearly flat.

Robert

post-50896-0-74595300-1499733425_thumb.jpg

post-50896-0-35112000-1499737969_thumb.jpg

• astro140, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#57 Olympian

Olympian

Evening Star

• -----
  • Loc: New York and Arizona

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

Hi you doing Robert. I bought this model 6332 in August of 2017. I got lucky when I gave my memories of when I got this model when I was a little boy. As soon as I posted it someone was in this antique shop in Hollywood and saw this model and posted pics of it. So I called up the store and it was still available so I bought it and it was shipped to me. It costs like around $90.00 dollars. Was in great condition. Only thing was the elements was flipped. I contacted you through this site and you carefully explained to me with a diagram on how the two elements along with the spacer ring should look like. I had bad focus when I got this but following your instructions I obtained great sharp focus. I did throughly clean both elements also. The finder glass was out of place but I fixed that also. The three eyepieces where not that good and the star diagonal not that good either but the telescope tube, the elements, the yolk mount and the wooden tripod were in great shape. I have added a hybrid diagonal and plossl eyepieces to the telescope.

The wooden case was in good shape and the hard cover astronomy book The Telescope And The World Of Astronomy was in great condition. It did come with a instruction manual on the specifications of the telescope and how and in what order you assemble the telescope parts along with the descriptions of the accessories. It has 3 pages of information. Thank you again for being so helpful with the setup of the elements. I now have a APM APO ED 152mm telescope but the vintage 60mm still can give you great views of the night skies.

#58 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:15 AM

Mine had a flipped crown when I bought it.

I feel so sorry for the original owner, I could feel his or her's disappointment myself

nearly 50 years later.

It's one of my favorite telescopes.

Robert

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics