Well today I may have done my final run through. Dragged everything out to the backyard. Set it all up including an eyeball North polar alignment. Attached all the camera,laptop, and power cables. Filters ON scope and finder.
Visually acquired the Sun with a moderately powered eyepiece, and turned on the drive.
Time was actually very close to the start time of the eclipse at my viewing location, close to noon with the Sun high in the sky.
Hardest part for me was focusing for the camera, because the bright sunlight plays hell with my eyes, making it very hard to see a live view on the laptop, even though I built a black box to shield the laptop. Not sure how to alleviate this. Maybe I need an umbrella or something....
So I set the time in EO and ran the entire script, start to finish. Worked flawlessly. 1.5 sec. between shots is my sweet spot. so counting partials, I get close to 200 exposures, Almost 90 through C2-C3 time frame.
Had a few small adjustments to make in Dec. during the partial phases, but my rough alignment must have been pretty good.
I checked all the images afterward, and they looked great. Picked up a small sunspot
that I used to compare sharpness, and I must say, maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't have MLU on my T3 Rebel, and even though my long exposures were variably overexposed, in all but the longest where there was a total white out, I had a very sharp solar disk edge, and still had the tiny sunspot even in highly magnified exposure reviews. That gives me hope for not a lot of mirror slap blurring.
Last of all, I marked 2 spots on the scope. One for visual focus, and one for camera focus points.
Here's the rig, sans filters and Canon T3.
Meade LX-5 field tripod, forks, and drive. Vintage black tube C-90 Mak mounted side by side with a Meade 9x60 RACI on a home made platform mounted to the forks. Nothing fancy.....
The funniest "bad" thing that happened was during set-up. I had sort of pre-pointed the scope to the Sun, but left the lens cap on. It's black plastic and metal. It heated up quickly and I had one HELL of a time trying to get the cap off as it sits down inside the dewshield.
I will NOT make that mistake on the 21st!