•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Last Minute Eclipse Planning

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 Jim Haley

Jim Haley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

"I like having the DeLorme map, cause it shows literally ever road and cart path. I'm pre-marking likely areas that have open road-side fields, etc..."

Beware.....  I use the DeLorme back roads for motorcycle trips.  My experience with many of those back roads is progress can get VERY slow when going any long distance.  Due to lower speeds and extra miles progress is 1/2 that (or less) experienced on Highways/Interstates.   ESPECIALLY in the mountains.  Not saying I won't use small roads, just that I will allow a LONG time to get anywhere on them.

Edited by Jim Haley, 25 July 2017 - 08:41 AM.

• Bowmoreman likes this

#52 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

"I like having the DeLorme map, cause it shows literally ever road and cart path. I'm pre-marking likely areas that have open road-side fields, etc..."

Beware.....  I use the DeLorme back roads for motorcycle trips.  My experience with many of those back roads is progress can get VERY slow when going any long distance.  Due to lower speeds and extra miles progress is 1/2 that (or less) experienced on Highways/Interstates.   ESPECIALLY in the mountains.  Not saying I won't use small roads, just that I will allow a LONG time to get anywhere on them.

Agreed and understood... But that is the point.  Finding ones way on back roads at half interstate speeds is still 20x the speeds on main roads when they are grid locked!  I hate, with a passion, not MOVING.  Moving, even at average speeds of 20 or 30 is infinitely preferable...  I'm allowing 6 hours or more for 120 miles if needed... Gonna watch the weather closely and adapt in real time. I have lived and loved those maps in Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine...  They are great. Worth the $15-20 per state

out of staters (yes I will be one) who don't have the maps can't accommodate, and will suffer the traffic. 

• Jim Haley likes this

#53 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Roger, just curious.... what time was totality and when did you (and the throngs of others) depart Lima?

A good two hours beforehand for what was normally a 15-20 minute drive!  I'd have to look up the precise time of totality.

cajun, has anyone actually predicted "millions of people stuck in traffic jams"?!   I've seen two different types of reports -- millions will be observing it -- almost assuredly true -- and there could be traffic jams in many well-populated destinations (and some less populated, but popular ones)  -- again, almost assuredly likely to be true.  Even your original comment didn't put those two directly together!  

I was responding to the notion that traffic jams for an eclipse aren't an issue!   One European experience without them may or may not translate into a U.S. one, a society where there are more cars than families and people drive to the store, to the library, to school, or to the post office, even when they could walk.  And, drive for vacations!  As to Lima, getting to the hills was a piece of cake on a normal day, but this was unusual!   

So, bottom line:  People should be worried about traffic jams depending upon where they are going and not rely on staying at a hotel an hour away or 50 miles away from totality --  I certainly wouldn't risk it!   

Still, let's hope for everyone's sake that most people will already be in place and that no jams materialize anywhere!

#54 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Hey, all!  I've decided to break with classic Internet traditions and post a counterpoint to my own comment!

There are indeed credible news articles describing how,the eclipse is affecting cities, towns,and counties throughout the totality path (in it and near it) -- and the strain it is putting on emergency services, hospitals, and first responders, and the increased danger of wildfires and public sanitation crises.

See, for example, in the Washington Post:   https://www.washingt...06ab_story.html

Let's hope that an earlier poster is right and it'll all turn to be overblown and overdrawn concerns, yet it's better to be safe than sorry!

Clear Skies and Happy Viewing to all tomorrow and may the obstacles (clouds and otherwise) be few and far between-- or, better, non-existent!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics