•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar eyepiece adapters

eyepieces accessories
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

I've owned my 1975 model Questar Duplex since the 1980s.  I never really liked the idea of threaded eyepieces and also wanted the option of using standard eyepieces with my telescope, so years ago I got an after market 1.25" e/p adapter.  (I kept the original adapter in the shipping barrel for the Questar--along with some accessories: a piggyback adapter, axial port swivel adapter and couplers and a Barlow.  Unfortunately all of this seems to have vanished,since the barrel has gone missing.)  Even though I would prefer to use standard 1.25" e/p's rather that threaded ones, a Questar adapter is nicer than the after market one I have.  It's my understanding that a current Questar e/p adapter will take threaded as well as standard 1.25" e/p's.  Is this correct?  Will a new Questar adapter fit my older scope? 

#2 Absorber

Absorber

Explorer 1

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

yes you can get one directly from Questar.. go to:

http://questarcorpor...com/questar.htm

#13078 Diopter Adapter, enables eyepieces 1-1/4 or threaded Brandon to be used with older units.

you will have to call them directly to order. Not sure of the current price since they do not list on line.

J B

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

I understand that all Questar eyepiece adapters use the same thread dimensions to attach to the scope. 

The current Questar eyepiece adapter receives the traditional threaded standard issue eyepieces as well as having set screws to retain unthreaded 1.25" eyepieces. 

I believe TeleVue sells the equivalent adapter for a lower price and I note that the bold TeleVue branding is on an easily removed sticker. 

#4 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

The after market adapter I have looks a lot like the Televue model, but it isn't marked.  I think it is a TV.  The diopter threads are rather course and the unit really isn't as nice as the original Questar adapter, but does allow me to use standard non-threaded eyepieces.  Isn't the diopter ring on the current Questar adapter silver (aluminum) below and black on top?

#5 Absorber

Absorber

Explorer 1

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

I have the Televue adapter.  It does not accept the screwed in Brandon eyepieces. Only regular non threaded. (I use it with my 1969 Q3.5 so I could use newer EPs since my model came with the older style Japan eyepieces. If you can find it, one can get an adapter ring for the older EPs to screw on and use as a regular EP. )

As far as I know if you want to use both threaded and non-threaded EPs in the adapter only the Questar is available.

Edited by Absorber, 16 July 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#6 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

I appreciate all the responses and you've answered my question.  Standard 1.25" eyepieces work with the current Questar e/p adapter. Reading some older threads I've found that the current Questar adapter is a lot nicer than the TV.

#7 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

I have the Televue adapter and the Questar adapter that takes 1.25" eyepieces. The brandons do not screw into the Televue, but do into the Questar adapter. My Televue just sits in its box with other unused equipment.

IMG 7003

IMG 7004

#8 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

I got my new Questar adapter (Part no. 13078).  It's nice to have a genuine Questar adapter back on the scope, but I'm wondering if I might have gotten a lemon.  The diopter adjustment seemed awfully stiff, with a rough patch.  After gently working it I've decided that it will rotate about three-eights of a turn freely.  I no longer have the original (threaded e/p only) adapter, I think it is lost, but I'd also expected a nicely damped motion, but there doesn't seem to be any lubrication.  Comments?  

Jim

#9 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Jim, if you aren't happy your should contact Questar. I have had many parts orders from them but had one that didn't pass my QC. They quickly replaced it.

You might work the focuser through its range of motion a few dozen times to be sure.

Edited by Optics Patent, 02 August 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#10 Absorber

Absorber

Explorer 1

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

My  diopter will do five full turns. So yours sounds like it's binding somewhere. You may want to contact Questar for a possible return and replacement. 

#11 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

My Questar adapter, just added this past year focuses and turns very smoothly. I can't tell you the range, because I don't need much of the range.

#12 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, guys, I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

#13 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

My  diopter will do five full turns. So yours sounds like it's binding somewhere. You may want to contact Questar for a possible return and replacement. 

I tried mine this morning and I get four and a quarter very smooth turns with no binding at all.

#14 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I have  new one on the way after a quick response by Jim Reichert to my email to Questar, but there's a twist (sorry).  For review, the adapter initially had a small range of free motion, then hit a rough spot that I could turn it through, after which it seemed to turn more freely.  After working it gently it reached a point where it had a range of motion of about three-eights of a turn.  After reading the email about the replacement being on the way I removed the adapter (and put my old after market one in its place), with the intent of visiting UPS today.  Out of curiosity I took another look at the defective adapter and found that it worked: it smoothly turned through about four revolutions!  Maybe it had been cross-threaded, maybe it had been binding for some other reason, but somehow I knocked it free!  (NB: I tried to keep my fingers off the diopter ring when I removed the adapter.)  I called Jim R and explained what had happened.  He's happy with me returning one of the two adapters, and of course the smart thing to do is return the one that had had the problem (he inspected the replacement himself.)

Thanks again for all  the helpful replies.

Jim

• JHollJr and Wisconsin Steve like this

#15 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

Put some tape on the old one so you can tell them apart when swapping them around and checking them. When deciding which adapter to send back, make sure you check the fit of all your threaded eyepieces in the adapter to make sure it's not too loose, with no danger of cross-threading. Your own inspection is better than anyone else's.

At least they're replacing it, which is more than they did for me. In my case they refused to admit that the eyepiece adapter on my Q50th was faulty. The issue escalated without resolution, I cancelled the whole project, and then they figured out the problem. It cost them dearly in both money and reputation, just for the sake for a silly eyepiece adapter: 

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry7814187

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry6573526

• JamesMStephens likes this

#16 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

The new, new Questar adapter is perfect.  The diopter ring turns through four rotations freely and has a nice feel.  I installed it today, on my telescope's 42nd birthday!

• JHollJr and Mike E. like this

#17 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:36 AM

Does anyone know what the exact thread is underneath the Brandons? I have a set of them and I am considering to make an adapter for them with a friend's lathe.

#18 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Do you mean the interior threads at the bottom rim?  The same as the filter and Barlow threads?

M30 x .75mm

Edited by Optics Patent, 23 August 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• Matt Looby likes this

#19 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Benach,

What adapter are you going to make.  Vernonscope makes adapters for various filter threads.  See below, not listed are the ones they make for the Questar brandons (call them for information).

http://vernonscope.c...gory&path=25_30

Bill

Edited by Billydee, 23 August 2017 - 07:50 PM.

• Matt Looby likes this

#20 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

Just got a new 32 mm Brandon, I'd seen them before but forgotten how long they are!  I don't think the case would close with this e/p in the adapter, and it certainly won't fit in the sleeve on the door!

#21 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:15 AM

Just got a new 32 mm Brandon, I'd seen them before but forgotten how long they are!  I don't think the case would close with this e/p in the adapter, and it certainly won't fit in the sleeve on the door!

My case doesn't close with the 24mm brandon in the scope, but the 24mm does fit in the pocket on the door. I just purchased a 32mm Televue plössel, but it doesn't arrive until Friday, September 15. I tried an old Celestron 32mm last night in my Q3.5 and really liked the views in the area around Sagittarius (M8, M20, M24, M17, and M16). I went with the Televue plössel rather than the brandon, because I will get a TFOV of 1.21 degrees with the plössel as opposed to 1.13 with the brandon. I want to squeeze as much view out of the scope as I can. Also, I prefer to drop eyepieces into the eyepiece adapter rather than screw in the brandons. This said, I really like the view through all three brandons that I have (24, 16, and 12).

• Matt Looby likes this

#22 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

I got a standard 1.25 inch 32 mm Brandon, I don't care for threaded e/p's myself.  I assume the only difference between standard and Questar Brandon's is the threading.

#23 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Field stop and AFOV may be different, too.

#24 bigburrito225

bigburrito225

Lift Off

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:21 PM

Hi,

Sorry to piggy-back on the topic, but I came across a Questar 1.25" eyepiece adapter and was a bit puzzled by it because it doesn't have any locking screws drilled in the side but the top collar has threads.  After reading your posts, I'm guessing it was only for use with threaded Brandon eyepieces.  Here's some pics - any help identifying if this is an original Questar part would be helpful.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190628_221143.jpg
  • IMG_20190628_221158.jpg

• Matt Looby likes this

#25 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:07 AM

I have a few of those.  It's a diopter/eyepiece holder for standard 1.25" or threaded for Questar or Brandon Questar eyepieces.  In addition, it is a helical fine focus which is absolutely necessary to get perfect focus.

Screws into the top of the control box.

Matt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics