•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nebulosity and Canon 6D

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Islamabad, Pakistan

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

I was looking at Nebulosity and I saw that you needed a special cable to connect the 6D shutter control to a USB port in order to get longer than 30 second exposures.  Is that true?  It seems odd because the budget DSLR capture program "AstroDSLR" can get longer than 30 second exposures using the 6D's wireless connection.

CF

#2 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

Nope.   You just need to put the 6D on Bulb mode.  I don't usually run my 6D directly with USB cable to my Macbook but just happened to be off-loading some shots, so just tested it with N4.1 to make sure.   Older models required a shoestring adapter.   HTH

#3 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Ron.  However, I just tried on my Macbook Pro (OSX 10.11.6) and Nebulosity 4.1 and got these two warnings.  The first says something about Bulb mode, which I just did ensure was on Bulb.  And the second when I tried to actually take a 60 second exposure.  After this error message, the duration dropped to 30 seconds.  I am using a Canon 6D and it was connected wirelessly as usual.  When the EOS software popped up, I quite it before launching Nebulosity.  I assume that is the correct procedure?

CF 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen1.jpg
  • Screen2.jpg

#4 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Sorry,  I missed you said it was connected with the wifi.  I had mine connected by the USB cable and B works fine.  I haven't used my 6D on a telescope much and I hadn't ever tried the wifi connection for astro imaging since it would just run the battery down much faster.   I tried with the wifi and got the same errors you did.   Just can't use the wifi for longer than 30 sec. I guess.   

#5 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

That's the part that I wanted to make sure I understood about Nebulosity. It's not the camera, it's their programming ability. AstroDSLR works perfectly with wireless on the 6D and you can shoot exposures as long as you wish. PS: I have my camera powered by AC, not the battery 😀

#6 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

I wouldn't knock the programming capability of Craig and others who created Neb and PHD, a far more versatile and capable program that work well together with autoguiding dithering to do much more than a few individual apps.  

I think Cloudmakers is doing fine work and I always support developers for the Mac.  I will continue using Neb and PHD as nothing in CM is replacing them.  If you're using a cable to power your 6D then you can as well use the USB cable and use Neb.  Or if shooting wide field star scapes or similar 'off the grid' using the EOS Utility on wifi and an  smart phone will also give you live view + control that Astrodslr doesn't.   

clear skies and keep shooting.   

#7 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

I didn't mean to belittle Nebulosity.  My use of the word "ability" was a poor choice.  I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something, when more basic software (AstroDSLR) is able to easily grab long exposures (>30 s) and Nebulosity, which as you pointed out, is far more capable and polished is limited to 30 second exposures when not using a direct cable.  Perhaps the Nebulosity programmers simply choose not to implement the ability to grab these longer shots wirelessly.

For the cable, do you need a specialized ($) cable, or any USB cable?

CF

#8 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Just the standard USB cable that comes with the camera, or any one that has the micro usb at the camera end.   I did a quick search on the Neb y-group and didn't find much about the wifi connection.   Probably not a feature anyone has asked for, as Craig tries to add features that users ask for.  Lots of (new) cameras and features to keep up with.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics