•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium on an old laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

I have an old IBM Thinkpad x60s and I tried to run Stellarium on it. The problem seems to be the graphics chip is not good enough.  Is there a similar program that would work on this old laptop that can control a Celectron Advanced VX mount.

Thanx,

Scott

#2 NEOhio

NEOhio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Stellarium has been around for a while. Wonder if you can find an earlier version of it that was designed for older hardware. 

#3 beggarly

beggarly

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Maybe C2A: http://www.astrosurf...glish/index.htm using ASCOM.

Rik

#4 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

I tried an older version of Stellarium that was recommended (v13 I think) and it still had an issue. I tried to find an updated driver but did not find one for Windows 7.

I will check out C2A and see if that will work.  Thanx for the responses.

#5 Don.S

Don.S

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Try using Angle Mode when you launch it.  My 10 year old desktop won't load Stellarium unless I use that mode.

#6 quietglow

quietglow

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

That seems odd. I have a T60 that I used a few years ago for doing some basic AP. I never had trouble running Stellarium on it. I used whatever build what current then (2014). The T60 and X60 were contemporaneous and similar machines if I remember correctly. If I had to guess, your machine isn't handling graphics acceleration properly for some reason.

Joe

#7 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

According to what I found for the Thinkpad X60s is that it has an Intel 945GM chipset and it is not compatible with OpenGL2. 

I was successful downloading Stellarium 0.13.3-MESA-win32 and it is now working.  Angle mode version did not work. I also downloaded C2A and have that option also but I like the interface better on Stellarium.

I had the Celestron wireless adapter but it broke and I am waiting for a replacement. They are on back order. 

So I am off and playing...

Thanx for everyone's input.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics