•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium on an old laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

I have an old IBM Thinkpad x60s and I tried to run Stellarium on it. The problem seems to be the graphics chip is not good enough.  Is there a similar program that would work on this old laptop that can control a Celectron Advanced VX mount.

Thanx,

Scott

#2 NEOhio

NEOhio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Stellarium has been around for a while. Wonder if you can find an earlier version of it that was designed for older hardware. 

#3 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Maybe C2A: http://www.astrosurf...glish/index.htm using ASCOM.

Rik

#4 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

I tried an older version of Stellarium that was recommended (v13 I think) and it still had an issue. I tried to find an updated driver but did not find one for Windows 7.

I will check out C2A and see if that will work.  Thanx for the responses.

#5 Don.S

Don.S

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Try using Angle Mode when you launch it.  My 10 year old desktop won't load Stellarium unless I use that mode.

#6 quietglow

quietglow

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

That seems odd. I have a T60 that I used a few years ago for doing some basic AP. I never had trouble running Stellarium on it. I used whatever build what current then (2014). The T60 and X60 were contemporaneous and similar machines if I remember correctly. If I had to guess, your machine isn't handling graphics acceleration properly for some reason.

Joe

#7 spatterweb

spatterweb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

According to what I found for the Thinkpad X60s is that it has an Intel 945GM chipset and it is not compatible with OpenGL2. 

I was successful downloading Stellarium 0.13.3-MESA-win32 and it is now working.  Angle mode version did not work. I also downloaded C2A and have that option also but I like the interface better on Stellarium.

I had the Celestron wireless adapter but it broke and I am waiting for a replacement. They are on back order. 

So I am off and playing...

Thanx for everyone's input.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics