•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Party Last Saturday on Mount Helix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robrj

Robrj

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

I took my Orion ED80T-CF/AVX/Ultrastar-C and my EAA gear to a local star party last Saturday (top of Mount Helix, in La Mesa, CA).  I was the only EAA setup there so I set up with my back to the north (most people were on the south side).  I put my box over the monitor, which worked well at keeping light away from the visual scopes.  I did a simple polar align with the polar scope and didn't bother with the Sharpcap polar align in the interest of time.  

The night itself wasn't a great one for visual.  There was smoke in the air from some fires down in Mexico which created a haze.   As a result, most of the visual scopes were focused on the planets and bright objects like globs.

I was showing the messier objects (M13, M16, M17, M20, M27, M51 & M57).  Most people kept coming back to see what was on the screen and all of them couldn't believe it was near live (15-30 second exposure).  They asked, "How could they know it was live?"  So I'd reset the camera and let them watch it come in at the end of the next exposure.  I think most of the oohs and ahhs were with M20 and M51.  The bright red of M20 was easily visible. The blue was a little dim, but still visible.

We had a pretty good flow of people.  One guy asked if I could get the veil nebula.  I told him I wasn't sure because of the muck in the air (and the light pollution) but I turned the scope and gave it a try.  Sure enough, we could see it (but barely).  Many of the veteran members were surprised we could even see it at all.

When I had M13 up, one girl said her friend wanted to know if that was where Star Wars was filmed.  I could hear her friend defensively say "I was joking!"  Of course I answered, "No.  M13 is in our galaxy whereas Star Wars was in a galaxy far, far away."  They all got a kick out of that answer.

Some of my time was explaining the setup to the more technically minded (portable power, cameras, Computestick).  It was a good time in general. 

I didn't save any of the images as the quality was pretty low given the light pollution/smoke and marginal polar alignment.

• Relativist, A. Viegas, alphatripleplus and 5 others like this

#2 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Vanguard

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Great report. Yes, the skies around here have been pretty poor with all  the fires burning not just in Mexico but in California.

• Robrj likes this

#3 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

I didn't save any of the images as the quality was pretty low given the light pollution/smoke and marginal polar alignment.

Not saving screenshots is something I do all the time, great observing report!

I've also broadcasted live from star parties, it really gets people thinking.
  • Robrj likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics