•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Desiccant Packets in Eyepiece Case

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JHollJr

JHollJr

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Is it a good idea to keep a desiccant packet in an eyepiece case, and if yes, what brand and why?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Viking 1

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Some Silica Gel desiccant packets are better than others:  http://silicagelpack...-past-its-prime

• JHollJr likes this

#3 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

you'll never need them if you let the cap remain off the ep you were using when bringing the scope back inside for 20min. or so

I usually keep all my ep's inside so they stay dry and bring out the one I want, you may not have this option, I also keep the lid down on my ep case if its outside with me.

as long as the caps stay on any ep that was not being used it will remain clear and not fogged, and will stay safe from fungus

• JHollJr likes this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Can't hurt. I use this type, available from vendors on eBay.  Dry-Packs-40-Gram-Silica-Gel-Canister-Desiccant

• JHollJr likes this

#5 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

Is it a good idea to keep a desiccant packet in an eyepiece case, and if yes, what brand and why?

Not just one - many packets are a good idea for eyepiece and scope cases.  No preference in brands.

• JHollJr likes this

#6 Penarin

Penarin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orion, IL

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

I use these and like them a lot-

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep some in my end caps on my scopes and some in the eyepiece case.

#7 starbase25

starbase25

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

I've never used them. I just keep the eyepiece case open all night to dry out and close it in the morning after an inspection.

Can't hurt to use them though.

#8 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Pelican has rechargeable/reusable ones for their cases.

#9 MartinPond

MartinPond

Gemini

• -----

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

The ones that come with don't do anything after a short while.

Brilliant move; the Pelican reusable ones.   They can tolerate the heat of an oven bake-out/recharge.

#10 Lt 26

Lt 26

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

I also use the rechargeable one and keep it in a cloth sleeve.

Dereck

#11 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

I keep a little packet of uncooked rice in my cases, have also used coffee.  Coffee is decaf of course...

• JHollJr and jeremiah2229 like this

#12 penguinx64

penguinx64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

I use them all the time.  I work in IT and I save packs that comes with boxes of computer equipment.  They're the same kind that come with TVs, Cameras, and other electronics too.  They'd just get thrown out anyway, so I use them in my eyepiece case.  Why not?  They're FREE!

#13 trurl

trurl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I use them all the time.  I work in IT and I save packs that comes with boxes of computer equipment.  They're the same kind that come with TVs, Cameras, and other electronics too.  They'd just get thrown out anyway, so I use them in my eyepiece case.  Why not?  They're FREE!

Me too. After a while just replace with fresher. Medicine bottles often contain little dessicant canisters also.

#14 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Ive never used them. I have an old doskocil case that I've been using for 20 years or so in a climate that gets very humid during the summer. Have never had mold/mildew/fungus problems. I just keep the lid closed when outside, and leave it loosely open (i.e. Not latched) when I take it inside.

#15 E Sully

E Sully

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I keep any decent size silica gel packs that come packed in merchandise boxes I open.

Silica gel turns blue when full.  A couple of hours in the toaster oven at about 240 degrees F and they turn pink and are ready to re-use.

#16 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

One the size of a medium pillow came with a computer monitor. It still had the "Do Not Eat" warning on it even though it was larger than a person's head.

#17 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I used to use them all the time, rechargable ones @ the size of an old VHS tape or the size of an iPhone. But they were a PITA and took up space better used for ep storage. Now eyepieces are either in the focuser, in the pocket of an observing vest, in a heated eyepiece case or in the Pelican storage case. A case heated to slightly above ambient removes the possibility of condensation and if the ep's go directly from there to a sealed case like a Pelican then there's no need for desiccant packs.

I built my heated case from an old beer cooler, some thin plywood and wood scraps, some excess ep/tube heater straps, an R-Sky controller and a 12Vdc AGM battery. Works like a champ.

Edited by havasman, 21 July 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Skylab

• -----

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

you'll never need them if you let the cap remain off the ep you were using when bringing the scope back inside for 20min. or so

I usually keep all my ep's inside so they stay dry and bring out the one I want, you may not have this option, I also keep the lid down on my ep case if its outside with me.

as long as the caps stay on any ep that was not being used it will remain clear and not fogged, and will stay safe from fungus

Of course it is best to let them air dry (or melt and dry), but it is nice to have some backup protection.

Package, shipping, and handling places have know this for years, cut back on damage and returns.

#19 MartinPond

MartinPond

Gemini

• -----

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Several important points:

----all dessicants will reach their saturation and absorb no more...they need to be regenerated

----any container with a dessicant needs to be sealed with a gasket

----sillca dessicant needs a fairly high temperature

---rice takes more quantity but regenerate at a lower temeprature

....cooking it at higher temp will ruin its absorbtion, though

Bearing all that in mind, here is an idea to try, in a gasketed case or sealed tin:

------spread out plain white rice on a dry pan and bake at only 170F in an oven for an hour

-----pour ito into a smaller bowl and load in into "tea-balls" (metal mesh tea infusers)

---then drop it in your case and make sure to seal right away

That makes a scheme that won't melt plastic or burn rice and can be regenerated quickly.

Edited by MartinPond, 22 July 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#20 izar187

izar187

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

Me too. After a while just replace with fresher. Medicine bottles often contain little dessicant canisters also.

That you can sometimes get free, at your local pharmacy.

#21 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Of course it is best to let them air dry (or melt and dry), but it is nice to have some backup protection.

Package, shipping, and handling places have know this for years, cut back on damage and returns.

I wouldn't know, as I've never needed backup protection,  even being an 11yo. back then that left his ep's in the ep tray all foggy and damp in Arkansas wet air, not one case of fungus?

you can use them if you want, I dont have any objection to that...lol  but I'm giving my experience of not ever using them. If the ep gets rained on, they will not protect from this anyway. but if that happens it would best to disassemble and clean.

btw, I've never seen any packs of disscant. in my new ep boxes. but one thing that is still in the boxes are those ep cleaning cloths....grin.gif

so I guess you can see that I'm not one to get all caught up in wondering if I have enough disscant. packs in my case to last throughout the rest of the month or even bother to take the time to find them and place an order for something that I dont need or want when simply leaving the caps caps off and the lid open will take care of this along with using a radiant heater when they are really foggy

however, if I stored my equipment in a non climate controlled shed or observatory, then maybe I would use some, there just not needed in a climate controlled home.

#22 WRose

WRose

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:20 AM

Descant?  What's that? wink.gif

Being fortunate enough to live in an area that averages 10% humidity, I general don't need anything as long as the equipment is allowed to dry at the storage temperature prior to capping or casing.  I have some eyepieces that are 100 years old and have leather spacers inside.  When I lived in Illinois, I always used descant.  Now I have a temp. & humidity controlled storage room so I don't typically worry about it.  When traveling I use Pelican type cases with rechargeable, metal descant tin like DriCan or similar.  If I'm going to a wet climate, I also store the eyepieces in aluminum foil covered multi-layered polyethylene zip closure bags (basically commercial Mylar Ziploc's) with color indicator dehydrator capsules. 

With most modern EPs it probably isn't needed except in extreme circumstances as long as you can dry the equipment out prior to storing and are not storing for an extended period.  With some of the older eyepieces it could become an issue, especially if you store them for more than a year without opening the storage. 

Just my thoughts after 60 years observing. 

• T1R2 likes this

#23 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

Descant?  What's that? wink.gif

Being fortunate enough to live in an area that averages 10% humidity, I general don't need anything as long as the equipment is allowed to dry at the storage temperature prior to capping or casing.  I have some eyepieces that are 100 years old and have leather spacers inside.  When I lived in Illinois, I always used descant.  Now I have a temp. & humidity controlled storage room so I don't typically worry about it.  When traveling I use Pelican type cases with rechargeable, metal descant tin like DriCan or similar.  If I'm going to a wet climate, I also store the eyepieces in aluminum foil covered multi-layered polyethylene zip closure bags (basically commercial Mylar Ziploc's) with color indicator dehydrator capsules. 

With most modern EPs it probably isn't needed except in extreme circumstances as long as you can dry the equipment out prior to storing and are not storing for an extended period.  With some of the older eyepieces it could become an issue, especially if you store them for more than a year without opening the storage. 

Just my thoughts after 60 years observing. 

Lol..terrible spelling..haha I couldn't remember how to say it..therefore I couldn't spell it

So basically you are saying the exact same thing as I.

#24 MartinPond

MartinPond

Gemini

• -----

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

If you do live in a humid area, the easiest 

storage by far (when not out in the field)

is a simple semi-tight cabinet with a 

"Goldenrod" style heater.  Never needs a recharge,

always lowers the RH, doesn't get very hot at all.

So...you can save your sealing and recharging for

more practical volumes and times.

#25 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Yes.

No brand; just recycle the silca gel desiccant satchels that come in packing materials.

Because the satchel absorbs moisture from air trapped in the case when you close it, and prevents nasties like fungus growth on lenses.

- Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics