•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense Process Checklists -- Find them Here

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Hi everyone. Sorry for the interruption.

I get two or three requests for my StarSense process checklists each month.  I'm posting them here (again) so they are available to anyone.

These are one-page (each) step by step checklists in large type for performing basic StarSense tasks, including:

Auto Alignment

Calibrate Center

Add Alignment Reference Points

Save Alignment / Load Alignment

Perform ASPA

StarSense User-Auto Alignment

StarSense (modified) Quick Alignment (note -- this one is not in the manual)

Fine-Tune Pointing Accuracy

Backlash Adjustment

Software Update (Wired Connection)

I wrote these because I found the StarSense manual indecipherable, especially when you are in the cold, in the dark, wearing gloves, in a hurry -- well, you get the picture.  Not a good time to break out the (generally obsolete) StarSense manual.

Feel free to use as you desire. Comments and corrections always welcome. There is a PDF version (so you can print) and a MS Word version (in case you want to tailor). Here they are:

Attached File  SSA Checklists v7.pdf   85.88KB   797 downloads

Attached File  SSA Checklists v7.docx   23.85KB   237 downloads

Clear skies,

Marty

Edited by MJB87, 18 July 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• JNDiller, Richard Dyer, nwcs and 4 others like this

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing!

#3 gundark

gundark

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for sharing these!

#4 peteryan

peteryan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Alabama

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

Add my thanks!

#5 BDunks

BDunks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Great information, but I'm still struggling with Starsense on an 8SE, I've updated the software and carried out a reset.  Last night it even tried to look into the Southern Hemisphere just before I cut the power (I'm in the uk).  It just won't find any 3 stars on most occasions.  When it does find 3 stars they don't represent what the SkyPortal is showing.  I'm not  new to telescopes (I built my own 6" mirror in 1979) but this is my first commercial scope and I'm getting really disgruntled.  Any assistance would be really appreciated .  Many thanks for any help!!!! 

#6 boott

boott

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

#7 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Great information, but I'm still struggling with Starsense on an 8SE, I've updated the software and carried out a reset.  Last night it even tried to look into the Southern Hemisphere just before I cut the power (I'm in the uk).  It just won't find any 3 stars on most occasions.  When it does find 3 stars they don't represent what the SkyPortal is showing.  I'm not  new to telescopes (I built my own 6" mirror in 1979) but this is my first commercial scope and I'm getting really disgruntled.  Any assistance would be really appreciated .  Many thanks for any help!!!! 

Common first experience; usually caused because of an error to time; date; zone or location. Most often the latter.

An issue with Starsense is it only gives you one 'first' chance to set <location>. Screw this up and it defaults to California. It then never asks you again during an alignment. You hence need to correct this via the Hand Controller  <Menu>; <time and location>.

Another less common error is where a new user has mistakenly unscrewed the Starsense camera front  ('lens') from the camera 'body' (as if it was a DSLR).  If you have done this it needs an expert to reaffix. 

Having checked these settings, check your power supply.  A larger SE telescope with Starsense needs more that 8 x AA batteries.  Get a proper power unit. 

#8 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks

#9 BDunks

BDunks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for the fast response!

I'll do another factory reset and check again, if the rain ever stops.  I entered the longitude and latitude and I'm pretty sure they are correct.  Also double checked the date / time and DST each time and they are all ok.  I did a software update and everything is up-to-date.  I totally agree about the 8 x AA's, I tried power adapters but I kept tripping over them, I'm using a Celestron Power Tank now - much better!

#10 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for this. You're absolutely right, the SS manual is indecipherable. You'd think that paying a tech writer on contract a few hundred dollars would be a worthwhile investment for them. Par for the course. As fall approaches I'll be wheeling out the scope again for the first time this year and hope my SS still works. :)

• JNDiller likes this

#11 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for this. You're absolutely right, the SS manual is indecipherable. You'd think that paying a tech writer on contract a few hundred dollars would be a worthwhile investment for them. Par for the course. As fall approaches I'll be wheeling out the scope again for the first time this year and hope my SS still works. smile.gif

Whilst Starsense works great on a GEM or Alt-Az, there is currently a 'bug' rendering it's use on a wedge limited. There, you first need to do a EQNorth + Polar Align using a Nexstar + HC then  conclude with a StarSense Auto-align. See other threads. 

Within TeamCelestron a commitment was given some while ago to update the instruction manual WHEN this (wedge only)  bug issue is fixed. However, this tricky issue has been ongoing for a while. However, it looks as though a solution is very close and Celestron will soon respond with a comprehensive manual. In the meanwhile, Cloudy Nights contains all that one needs to know about Starsense; including problem workarounds and tips; thanks to its fine user contributors.

#12 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

A rewritten manual would be nice but even better would be a comprehensive approach to good UX design so a comprehensive manual isn't as necessary. ;)

• JNDiller likes this

#13 JollyGreen120

JollyGreen120

Lift Off

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Has anyone done a solar alignment with StarSense for the Sun.  I have a solar filter for my CPC 8 but have had a hard time finding how to do this using StarSense.  When I go to the Solar Alignment I do not find the sun.  I do not plan to take the cap off but would like it to track the sun during the eclipse.  Thanks for your help.

#14 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

A rewritten manual would be nice but even better would be a comprehensive approach to good UX design so a comprehensive manual isn't as necessary. wink.gif

I've offered (via Team Celestron) to lead an effort to create an online, open-source manual ("wiki") for StarSense, one that is easy to update as new features are revealed or as "best practices" emerge.  So far no response from Celestron.

MJB

• JNDiller and nwcs like this

#15 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Note to moderators....

I posted this topic in the Equipment forum because that is where many of us come across conversations regarding StarSense. Someone moved this to the NexStar forum -- one that I don't even ever look at!  Yet other conversations about StarSense remain in the Equipment forum.

The whole purpose of my thread was to provide an easy way to access my checklists for people following StarSense threads, in order to minimize the number of messages I get asking for the checklists.

Moving this to the NexStar forum, while leaving other StarSense-related messages in the Equipment forum, completely defeats the original purpose of the thread.  I am now getting new requests for PM for my checklists because the topic no longer appears current in the Equipment forum.

It would make more sense to either (1) move this back to where I posted it or (2) formally designate the Nexstar forum as the appropriate forum or all StarSense related messages and, therefore, relocate all other StarSense messages to that forum and change the forum title to make it clear.  I'm happy either way.

Edited by MJB87, 14 August 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#16 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Has anyone done a solar alignment with StarSense for the Sun.  I have a solar filter for my CPC 8 but have had a hard time finding how to do this using StarSense.  When I go to the Solar Alignment I do not find the sun.  I do not plan to take the cap off but would like it to track the sun during the eclipse.  Thanks for your help.

First you need to press the MENU button (press BACK to return to the StarSense Ready prompt), select Database Setup and then Allow Sun.  This is a one-time setting and will be stored for future use.  After that, you will find the Sun is available during Solar System Align.

#17 sehs1969

sehs1969

Sputnik

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

First you need to press the MENU button (press BACK to return to the StarSense Ready prompt), select Database Setup and then Allow Sun.  This is a one-time setting and will be stored for future use.  After that, you will find the Sun is available during Solar System Align.

Yep.  As Michael Swanson says, must first select Database setup to allow sun.  Then using solar system align you pick the Sun.  Did it this morning and worked well.  Don't forget to cap the lens of your Starsense camera before acquiring the sun, and by all means have your solar filter on.  You also must make sure you have put your settings on Solar tracking, and entered the correct time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics