•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Original Tele-Vue Renaissance Brass Telescope

beginner accessories
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mpryzgo

mpryzgo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hi, I have an original 1985 Tele Vue Renaissance Brass Telescope model 4400065.  I am new to this so I am not sure if it is worth while to purchase all of the pieces needed to make the telescope functional.  As far as I can tell it is missing a mount, a diagonal, and eyepieces.  I do have the main tube (Brass), the Case (Light Brown Plastic with cut foam interior), and the original tripod. I am hoping to get some advise on how much it will cost to get it functioning. While I understand that this is a high quality scope the requires quality accessories, I need to keep the cost reasonable.  If it is too expensive I might just list it in the classified.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1648.JPG
  • IMG_1647.JPG
  • IMG_1649.JPG

• 25585 and Astroman007 like this

#2 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

It depends on your interest in astronomy. If you are seriuos into it, then this is simply put a great scope. I would advice you to buy reasonably priced accessories at first, then gradually upgrade to TV original parts later.

Arne

• 25585 likes this

#3 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

You will need a finder, a 2 inch diagonal, an eyepiece adapter, and eyepieces. The last item is where the cost is greatest. Opinions will differ as to what brands to buy for these. If you go all TeleVue, the cost could be pretty high. On the other hand you can save money buying used on the classifieds here. To get an idea of prices search the classifieds for the items. Generally speaking the not TeleVue branded diagonal should be about $80 give or take whether a bargain appears or not. Usually they come with the 2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapter. Look for that. Now the finder could be a problem to mount on the scope. You will have to research that. Inexpensive finders are readily available.

Now TeleVue brand eyepieces are very expensive. Again I suggest looking through the classifieds section here. As to exactly what type of eyepiece to get is another difficult decision. Opinions will differ. Particularly whether you should get a wide field Nagler or some other type such as a Plossel. 

• Astroman007 likes this

#4 mpryzgo

mpryzgo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

The cost for the accessories is more than I can afford at this  time so I am going to list it in the classifieds.  Would it be appropriate to ask for its value on this forum?

#5 Stanislaus

Stanislaus

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

How did the telescope come into your possession?

#6 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

To ascertain the asking price is a matter of research. Start by searching classifieds for prior sales. Go to the search function. Looks like the value with tripod is somewhere from $750 to $1000 dependent on condition of the scope tripod and case based on my search.A key element is making sure the buyer is appraised correctly as to its condition.  

#7 mpryzgo

mpryzgo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

The scope was given to me and was originally part of an estate.  From was I understand the man who owned it was careful with and maintained all of his equipment.  I have a local astronomy club nearby, maybe I will drop by with the scope and ask if they will help me determine the condition.  Thank you all,  for your advice!

• Astroman007 likes this

#8 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

The scope was given to me and was originally part of an estate.  From was I understand the man who owned it was careful with and maintained all of his equipment.  I have a local astronomy club nearby, maybe I will drop by with the scope and ask if they will help me determine the condition.  Thank you all,  for your advice!

That is your best bet. Someone knowledgeable needs to inspect the lens. If it's in good shape, you'll have no trouble selling it for a reasonable price.

#9 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I am looking for a brass TV refractor as a gift for an elderly relative (who co-owns and enjoys a Pronto). No luck finding a brass OTA TV85, Ranger but maybe there are Renaissances around. I would have the tube engraved with a sentiment.

Did the Renaissance line share optics with any other TV Refractor? Perhaps I could get a bespoke tube made and engraved, then buy a standard TV refractor and have its lens cel and focuser fitted to the new tube.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-519-14070959991701.jpg
  • 200800A.jpg

Edited by 25585, 06 January 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

One thing to remember about this scope is that unlike the SDF version it has no fluorite in the rear lens doublet (also the rear doublet is 60mm not 66 like later models) or ED glass in the front doublet so like the plain "Genesis" there will be false color which does affect the price. waytogo.gif

Edited by Mike W, 06 January 2019 - 05:25 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#11 JoeBftsplk

JoeBftsplk

Ranger 4

• Loc: North of the Fingerlakes-NY

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

Unless I needed the money badly, I'd hang onto that scope. There's not a lot of them around. Think of it as a modern classic. If the optics are still good, it won't show too much color.

If that tripod has all its parts, you have a mount. If you buy new accessories, a low-cost 1.25" prism diagonal, a couple of Meade plossl eyepieces, a 2" to 1.25" adapter, and a red-dot finder with sticky-back mount for the scope tube should total $150 to $160. Doesn't seem like a lot for a lifetime scope, which is what TVs are. Give it a try, you might find you like the hobby. You can make it look beautiful (and it will) and buy expensive TV accessories when you have more money.

#12 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:57 AM

I am looking for a brass TV refractor as a gift for an elderly relative (who co-owns and enjoys a Pronto). No luck finding a brass OTA TV85, Ranger but maybe there are Renaissances around. I would have the tube engraved with a sentiment.

Did the Renaissance line share optics with any other TV Refractor? Perhaps I could get a bespoke tube made and engraved, then buy a standard TV refractor and have its lens cel and focuser fitted to the new tube.

Yes, Tele Vue repeatedly used that Renaissance name to identify their brass tubed special telescopes.  As I recall, TV also made a Renaissance 102 version of their TV 102 doublet.  Although most TV OTAs are popular and treasured by their owners the Renaissance models may be especially scarce in the secondhand market.

If you fail to find any in the classified ads you may be able to have a regular OTA modified by Moonraker.  They specialize in bespoke telescopes and mounts that are made from various metals.  Have you heard of them before? http://moonrakertele...uildsabout.html

#13 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:06 AM

One thing to remember about this scope is that unlike the SDF version it has no fluorite in the rear lens doublet (also the rear doublet is 60mm not 66 like later models) or ED glass in the front doublet so like the plain "Genesis" there will be false color which does affect the price. waytogo.gif

Unless I needed the money badly, I'd hang onto that scope. There's not a lot of them around. Think of it as a modern classic. If the optics are still good, it won't show too much color.

If that tripod has all its parts, you have a mount. If you buy new accessories, a low-cost 1.25" prism diagonal, a couple of Meade plossl eyepieces, a 2" to 1.25" adapter, and a red-dot finder with sticky-back mount for the scope tube should total $150 to $160. Doesn't seem like a lot for a lifetime scope, which is what TVs are. Give it a try, you might find you like the hobby. You can make it look beautiful (and it will) and buy expensive TV accessories when you have more money.

Say Mike & Joe!

You do realize that your response to the OP is about 1½ years late, don't you?  The question that I just responded to was posted by 25585 when they reanimated this dormant thread to ask a different sort of question.

#14 25585

Cosmos

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Yes, Tele Vue repeatedly used that Renaissance name to identify their brass tubed special telescopes.  As I recall, TV also made a Renaissance 102 version of their TV 102 doublet.  Although most TV OTAs are popular and treasured by their owners the Renaissance models may be especially scarce in the secondhand market.

If you fail to find any in the classified ads you may be able to have a regular OTA modified by Moonraker.  They specialize in bespoke telescopes and mounts that are made from various metals.  Have you heard of them before? http://moonrakertele...uildsabout.html

No, but thanks for the link. waytogo.gif

#15 JoeBftsplk

JoeBftsplk

Ranger 4

• Loc: North of the Fingerlakes-NY

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

Nope, I miss details like that. Thanks for the heads-up.

#16 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Hi, I have an original 1985 Tele Vue Renaissance Brass Telescope model 4400065.  I am new to this so I am not sure if it is worth while to purchase all of the pieces needed to make the telescope functional.  As far as I can tell it is missing a mount, a diagonal, and eyepieces.  I do have the main tube (Brass), the Case (Light Brown Plastic with cut foam interior), and the original tripod. I am hoping to get some advise on how much it will cost to get it functioning. While I understand that this is a high quality scope the requires quality accessories, I need to keep the cost reasonable.  If it is too expensive I might just list it in the classified.

There have been junk refractors with brass-plated tubes on the market from time to time, as well as poorly-made brass decorative telescopes from India, along with real brass antique telescopes.  But the TeleVue is the real deal.  It's also heavier than its aluminum-tubed sister telescopes.  The downside is that laquering of brass is a kind of lost art (you'll see some brass microscopes 100 years old are still good) so you'll need to continually polish the OTA to keep it free of oxide.

#17 25585

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

I now have a TV-102 Renaissance. Looking for another TV model - Original, SDF, 101, 85 or Ranger.

My 102 needs a brass in/out tube as TV gave it a standard black one, blast them. Something I may try to make myself, or commission from Moonraker or I.R. Poyser.

Edited by 25585, 22 May 2020 - 12:29 PM.

• Celerondon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics