•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The AT92

• Please log in to reply
1191 replies to this topic

#51 mattyk-usa

mattyk-usa

Viking 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

When are these expected to arrive?

-Jim

Mike's original email said "1st quarter 2018 if all goes well".  Here's hoping all goes well :smile: praying.gif

• Phil Cowell and Pug like this

#52 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

We look to be on that schedule still.

• Hoagect, mattyk-usa and Pug like this

#53 mattyk-usa

mattyk-usa

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

I have learned that patience has its rewards.  When it came to the AT 130EDT, I was patient, and I was rewarded.  Richly. 

• Astronomics, Phil Cowell, dagadget and 1 other like this

#54 je2000

je2000

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

I was thinking of the Esprit 80 or Stellarvue 80 for getting into imaging. Would the AT92 pair well with the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5? That combo would travel well, I think.

I'd think that would work very well.  You certainly wouldn't be undermounted. 

There is an XT10 to figure into my equation. I'm still not clear on whether that mount can run an XT10 and an 80mm in alt-az mode together. But that's for another forum.

Would the ZWO ASI-1600 be a good match for this scope? I was thinking of 1.25" RGB filters but I'm not sure with the bigger circle of this 92, so maybe the next size up.

#55 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

You'd be lucky to get the AZ-EQ5 to hold an XT10 tube, maybe for visual but I'd be wary for imaging. You'd probably want to step up to the AZ-EQ6 for that. You will probably have to go to 2" filters for the large image circle of the AT92, especially if you end up using a flattener that is also a reducer. The image circle is 48mm without a reducer, so I think 2" is necessary, which gives you 50.8mm of coverage. I think the ASI1600MM would be an excellent choice but there are so many technicalities with sensor and pixel size that I'll tell you not to take my word for it. I'm still learning a lot about imaging myself so I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else says.

• Pug likes this

#56 je2000

je2000

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

You'd be lucky to get the AZ-EQ5 to hold an XT10 tube, maybe for visual but I'd be wary for imaging. You'd probably want to step up to the AZ-EQ6 for that. You will probably have to go to 2" filters for the large image circle of the AT92, especially if you end up using a flattener that is also a reducer. The image circle is 48mm without a reducer, so I think 2" is necessary, which gives you 50.8mm of coverage. I think the ASI1600MM would be an excellent choice but there are so many technicalities with sensor and pixel size that I'll tell you not to take my word for it. I'm still learning a lot about imaging myself so I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else says.

The XT10 on that mount would be strictly visual, except for Lunar/Solar. When I am ready to capture images it would come off and the fast refractor would go onto the mount in EQ mode. The plan is to have a nice outeach setup, a good beginning wide-field imaging setup, and then to use the 10" reflector on its dob base if I get tired of looking at a laptop.

#57 tomjones

tomjones

Viking 1

• Loc: along the 32nd parallel

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

http://www.teleskop-...-positions.html

fpl-53 for a lot less. f/5.5 can you say chromatic abrasion.

#58 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Are you thinking the AT92 will have a lot of chromatic aberration? It's tough to combat at such fast focal ratios, but this is a triplet with FCD-100, Lanthanum, and an unknown third element, with the design coming from Thomas Back. I have a feeling chromatic aberration will be very hard to see with the AT92, in visual observation or imaging.

• Tyson M and Pug like this

#59 mattyk-usa

mattyk-usa

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'll assume you mean chances of "chromatic aberration" with respect to the AT92.  The answer is: Slim and none, and Slim just left town.

• Aleko, Tyson M, dagadget and 2 others like this

#60 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Feel free to read the Sky and Telescope review of the original TMB92 that the AT92 takes it heritage from.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

• zjc26138 and Pug like this

#61 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

I was thinking of the Esprit 80 or Stellarvue 80 for getting into imaging. Would the AT92 pair well with the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5? That combo would travel well, I think.

I'm also curious as to how the AT92 will fair optically vs the esprit 80.  I like that the esprit is f5 (wider FOV), granted, the AT92 will be, by all accounts, great visually and photographically, whereas by all accounts, the esprit is not so great visually.  

My primary concerns are optical quality and FOV.  I'm thinking of the AT92 too, but it's FOV calculates to around 120 arcminutes with the ZWO ASI 1600MM camera, whereas the esprit 80 manages 150 arcminutes.  I want to avoid stitching, and be able to image the larger widefield nebulas.  By all accounts, the esprit range has very good optics (photographically).  Both are priced pretty similar when it comes down to the poor Aussie dollar.  

Another advantage to the SkyWatcher esprit for me, is that it's available locally, with a local warranty, whereas if I buy the AT92, I'll have to pay high shipping costs back to the US of A...

Since both are APO triplets, and similarly priced, they should, in theory, perform similarly from an optical point of view.  I can't find anywhere that states whether the esprit 80 uses FPL-53 elements or not.  

Decisions, decisions!

#62 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

Decisions, decisions!

Judging from what you want to do, I think you have already made your decision. As for whether the Esprit uses FPL53 glass, the video they put up says it does.

• dpastern likes this

#63 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

Decisions, decisions!

Judging from what you want to do, I think you have already made your decision. As for whether the Esprit uses FPL53 glass, the video they put up says it does.

yes, I saw that after I had posted my early reply.  Schott/FPL53/Schott I believe.

#64 je2000

je2000

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:45 AM

Decisions, decisions!

yes, I saw that after I had posted my early reply.  Schott/FPL53/Schott I believe.

What's the image circle on the Esprit 80? I've been looking at the Stellarvue 80 and I think the increased size and bigger filter requirements for the AT92 may hold me back. Maybe. 

#65 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

Decisions, decisions!

What's the image circle on the Esprit 80? I've been looking at the Stellarvue 80 and I think the increased size and bigger filter requirements for the AT92 may hold me back. Maybe. 

this page:

https://www.astronom...-refractor.html

says the imaging circle is 33mm.  I don't know if that's correct, but I have read that on another website too (but can't remember which one).  For me, that's not an issue, since it should be fine with the ZWO ASI 1600MM-C that I'm interested in (at least, as far as I understand, it should be fine).  At worst case scenario, I suspect the corners may have vignetting, and images may need to be cropped.  Someone, please correct me if I am wrong!  I'd rather be wrong, and corrected, before I spent any money!!!!!!

edit: I was looking at the 1.25" zwo filters for their EFW, I wonder if that'll mean that not all of the imaging circle will be within the radius of the filters then?).  Again, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by dpastern, 27 September 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#66 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

Decisions, decisions!

If you are looking for an Esprit, I would hold off a few more days....

• dpastern likes this

#67 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the heads up Michael - I believe SkyWatcher are gonna have their esprit range on sale [in the US].  The problem is:

a) I'm in Australia

b) the Australian dollar is very weak vs the greenback

c) shipping is pricey (must include insurance too!)

d) item will be >= AUD $1k on arrival in Australia, and will subsequently attract a 5% import duty and then a 10% GST on the original items value + 5% import duty + shipping costs!  There's a reason why Australia is considered the 2nd highest taxed country in the world...but then again, our pollies (Aussie slang for politicians) need to book 75 km helicopter flights to private weddings you see (with public tax payers monies)!  Yes, that was a snide political remark at our back boneless lazy and good for nothing politicians.  I could tell you a nice joke about Australian politicians, but it's probably better to be done privately lol!  

Note that the Australian prices on the esprit range are actually cheaper than the standard US prices (after US ==> AUD $ parity conversion etc).  SkyWatcher Australia has been very aggressive with the pricing in Australia to push the range to local consumers.  That makes it even harder to justify from buying overseas and privately importing said goods into the country!  In the end, it actually works out more expensive for me to privately import said item from the US to Australia, than if I'd actually just bought it locally...and Australian customs misses nothing - they'd charge the hell out of a fly on a dunny (dunny is Aussie slang for toilet if you dont' know) in order to make a buck if they could  ;-)

Then there's no local warranty, and shipping said items back to the US for issues gets rather expensive very quickly!

Note: if I've misunderstood the gist of your post, please correct me!

Edited by dpastern, 27 September 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#68 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

blush.gif New Astro-Tech product hype???!!?

#69 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the heads up Michael - I believe SkyWatcher are gonna have their esprit range on sale [in the US].  The problem is:

a) I'm in Australia

d) item will be >= AUD $1k on arrival in Australia, and will subsequently attract a 5% import duty and then a 10% GST on the original items value + 5% import duty + shipping costs!  There's a reason why Australia is considered the 2nd highest taxed country in the world...but then again, our pollies (Aussie slang for politicians) need to book 75 km helicopter flights to private weddings you see (with public tax payers monies)!  Yes, that was a snide political remark at our back boneless lazy and good for nothing politicians.  I could tell you a nice joke about Australian politicians, but it's probably better to be done privately lol!  

Note that the Australian prices on the esprit range are actually cheaper than the standard US prices (after US ==> AUD $ parity conversion etc).  SkyWatcher Australia has been very aggressive with the pricing in Australia to push the range to local consumers.  That makes it even harder to justify from buying overseas and privately importing said goods into the country!  In the end, it actually works out more expensive for me to privately import said item from the US to Australia, than if I'd actually just bought it locally...and Australian customs misses nothing - they'd charge the hell out of a fly on a dunny (dunny is Aussie slang for toilet if you dont' know) in order to make a buck if they could  ;-)

Then there's no local warranty, and shipping said items back to the US for issues gets rather expensive very quickly!

My note was pointed towards to the gent in the US as we aren't able to ship Sky-Watcher outside the US due to the dealer agreements that every US dealer signs.  Sorry for the confusion.

• dpastern likes this

#70 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Decisions, decisions!

a) I'm in Australia

My note was pointed towards to the gent in the US as we aren't able to ship Sky-Watcher outside the US due to the dealer agreements that every US dealer signs.  Sorry for the confusion.

Ahh!  That's easily avoidable, I have a US proxy shipping address ;-)

but it's still not financially viable anyway!

• Astronomics likes this

#71 blackdragon72

blackdragon72

Explorer 1

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

I own AT111EDT, AT72ED and have used 65EDQ, I like all.

I am looking for a faster scope for wide angle AP, preferably in F4, 400mm focal length range.

Based on information in the post:

- How good is the focuser? and what is the payload? Do you provide option to upgrade focuser to FT as Stellarvue does? I think all 3 AT scopes weakest link is focuser, I feel that they either slip or wobble under 8lbs load (which I current have). So I replaced them with Moonlite.

- Any plan to have dedicated reducer to get it to F/4? Another candidate I am looking at is SVQ100, which is said to have F/4 reducer.

- Is it going to support full frame CCD with flattener and/or reducer?

Thanks

#72 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

I am looking for a faster scope for wide angle AP, preferably in F4, 400mm focal length range.

- How good is the focuser? and what is the payload? Do you provide option to upgrade focuser to FT as Stellarvue does? I think all 3 AT scopes weakest link is focuser, I feel that they either slip or wobble under 8lbs load (which I current have). So I replaced them with Moonlite.

- Any plan to have dedicated reducer to get it to F/4? Another candidate I am looking at is SVQ100, which is said to have F/4 reducer.

Thanks

34d party focusers such as feathertouch and moonlight are always going to surpass stock focusers imho, as they are a lot more expensive.  8lbs is a lot!.  I think I saw someone answer the imaging circle question, but can't find it now and can't remember the exact answer off the top of my head.  

I'd expect the AT92 to very similar, if not near identical to the well respected TMB92SS.

#73 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Thanks

The focuser is very nice.  It will be a step above our focusers on the EDT series.  We do not have an upgrade route for the focuser.  8 pounds is a ton for those focusers.  Usually the weight limit is around 5-6 pounds, even on the 2" Feathertouch models.  I have been given a quote of 10 pounds or so on the focuser that is on the 92.

You may want to double check the information on the SVQ100.  They don't list a reducer for that scope.  It might be hard to come by as we don't have a reducer for the 65 due to the built-in flattener.  I have a feeling SV is running into the same problem.

I am pulling this from memory, but I believe the image circle is right at 44mm on the 92.

• dpastern likes this

#74 blackdragon72

blackdragon72

Explorer 1

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks

The focuser is very nice.  It will be a step above our focusers on the EDT series.  We do not have an upgrade route for the focuser.  8 pounds is a ton for those focusers.  Usually the weight limit is around 5-6 pounds, even on the 2" Feathertouch models.  I have been given a quote of 10 pounds or so on the focuser that is on the 92.

You may want to double check the information on the SVQ100.  They don't list a reducer for that scope.  It might be hard to come by as we don't have a reducer for the 65 due to the built-in flattener.  I have a feeling SV is running into the same problem.

I am pulling this from memory, but I believe the image circle is right at 44mm on the 92.

SVQ reducer is not yet available but I think they are working on it, according to my friend who owns the scope. There are not many choices on short focal length, fast scope. I think SVQ wants to compete with TAK FSQ, which traditionally has issues with their mechanicals. I believe 92 could be another contender (with dedicated reducer) in this market segment, but then focuser is very crucial for F4 system since it might have alignment issue with large payload. 

AT65EDQ is really nice, I could get flat FOV on full frame DSLR (though with much worse vignette on corners), but it is a bit slower.

BTW, for 8300 CCD, is flattener required to get flat FOV? or it is only required for full frame CCD?

#75 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Mike, is there any expectation for when we might see a prototype of this here scope?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics