•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The AT92

• Please log in to reply
1270 replies to this topic

#1201 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

No not by AT. I use the AT FF2 it's a general FF for F/6 to F/9 . I still have slightly elongated stars in the corners using ZWO 071 mcPro, which has a crop sensor.

#1202 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Unfortunately there is no dedicated flattener for the AT92 yet. Your best bet for a full frame sensor is likely TSFLAT2 by Teleskop Express. I have not tried it yet so not sure how well it will work but I am thinking about ordering one.

• Sarkikos and elmiko like this

#1203 scooke

scooke

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

I use the TSFlat2 and the Stellarvue 2.5" flattener and both work great.  I'm at 103mm spacing with the 2.5.  The TSFlat2 I've only used visually threaded into the end of an AP diagonal.  Cures field curvature well.

• Sarkikos likes this

#1204 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ca

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Still smiling, the AT92 has not disappointed me and I doubt it will. If I where imaging using full frame I will need to change up the focuser size to accommodate a full frame sensor, using a TSFlat or the Stellarvue 2.5" flattener . . . considering everything Astronomics does, (and that's a lot folks) I'm not stressed about a dedicated flattener, Yes it'd be nice . . . but . . . when there are other options one has to know when to take it and not fuss so much. As for now the ATFF2 works for my combo of equipment.

OK here's what I did the last week of Feb when I had clear skies . . . NGC 2244

2 nights data, night one (Ha + Oiii) night 2 (Ha, Oiii, SII) total 6 hours integration. guided

Equipment: AT92, ATFF-2, ZWO MFW, NB Filter set(latest), asi1600mm Pro, zwo mini guide scope with 120mm-s, ZWO ASIAIR v1 mount control, guiding and image capture . . . Mount, GM811g

Software: DSS + Corel PSP 2020

Like I said, I B a happy soul

NGC2244 NB SHO palette

Edited by Digipainter, 02 March 2020 - 06:03 PM.

• peleuba, zjc26138, JKAstro and 7 others like this

#1205 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

Oh my! Tim, this is fantastic! You have to post more of your images my friend!! Really great job on the processing!

• Digipainter likes this

#1206 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:16 PM

Oh my! Tim, this is fantastic! You have to post more of your images my friend!! Really great job on the processing!

Thanks Mike,  Been busy with many other things, but as I get a chance this Spring and Summer I will.  I am going back through my list and re-shooting a lot of stuff, getting ready to build my back yard obsy . . . a small one, but non the less, a needed building for my gear and setup, I hate tearing it down all the time. So as I do new images I will upload a few.  Thanks, processing is always a chore, but, with things dialed in now as far as the gear goes . . . it's becoming less of a chore. Clear skies Mike

• elmiko likes this

#1207 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:15 AM

I use the TSFlat2 and the Stellarvue 2.5" flattener and both work great.  I'm at 103mm spacing with the 2.5.  The TSFlat2 I've only used visually threaded into the end of an AP diagonal.  Cures field curvature well.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse any mods that would void any warranties from Astronomics, you do this at your own risk and I am NOT responsible for any damages you cause to Your equipment . . .

I came across another possible option for a full frame flattener.   William Optics has a new adjustable back focus 0.8X (WO Flat6AIII) with a M63 thread <OTA side and M48 > camera side.  If you where inclined to remove the current rotator/2" drawtube compression ring, (the AT92 is threaded M63 at the end of the Drawtube), and connect the (WO Flat6AIII), this would have sufficient image circle (mfg specs says 44mm) to cover a full frame sensors with little or no vignetting.   The reason this interests me is that it connects directly to the drawtube (Threaded connection) to minimize imaging train flexure  . . .  It is priced comparable to other Field Flatteners mentioned.  Anyway it is food for thought for those using the AT92 with full frame sensors / cameras.

I'm fine using the AT FF-2 with my configuration which uses a 4/3rds sensor

Digi out . . . clear skies everyone

Edited by Digipainter, 05 March 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#1208 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Mike,  Been busy with many other things, but as I get a chance this Spring and Summer I will.  I am going back through my list and re-shooting a lot of stuff, getting ready to build my back yard obsy . . . a small one, but non the less, a needed building for my gear and setup, I hate tearing it down all the time. So as I do new images I will upload a few.  Thanks, processing is always a chore, but, with things dialed in now as far as the gear goes . . . it's becoming less of a chore. Clear skies Mike

Awesome news about the observatory! Post pictures of the build please!

#1209 trias702

trias702

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

Can you please provide some specific details of how you are able to do this? I'm guessing you're using this StellarVue flattener?: https://www.stellarv...-focusers-48mm/

One end has (I think) M63 threads, so it threads onto the AT92 focuser after you unscrew the 2" compression ring? And then the other side (the camera T-ring side), has M48 threads, so can you just screw on any old 2" diagonal to those threads? I have several 2" diagonals, but none of them allow you to remove the telescope-side nose, so I would need to be able to thread into the nose threads, the same threads where 2" filters screw on (into the telescope-side nose of the diagonal). Is that possible to do with this StellarVue product?

I would greatly prefer not having to purchase a new diagonal to accomodate a flattener, if possible.

#1210 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:39 PM

Can you please provide some specific details of how you are able to do this? I'm guessing you're using this StellarVue flattener?: https://www.stellarv...-focusers-48mm/

One end has (I think) M63 threads, so it threads onto the AT92 focuser after you unscrew the 2" compression ring? And then the other side (the camera T-ring side), has M48 threads, so can you just screw on any old 2" diagonal to those threads? I have several 2" diagonals, but none of them allow you to remove the telescope-side nose, so I would need to be able to thread into the nose threads, the same threads where 2" filters screw on (into the telescope-side nose of the diagonal). Is that possible to do with this StellarVue product?

I would greatly prefer not having to purchase a new diagonal to accomodate a flattener, if possible.

If you look back in this thread you will find where other owners of the AT92 have removed the fitting from the end of the focuser tube (I believe there is a (possible more) set screw that when sufficiently loosened will allow the ring to be removed exposing the threaded barrel that is M63 in size.  I was suggesting that those who do full frame imaging might be interested in the latest WO flattener (Go to the William Optics web page for specs, it is M63 scope side and M48 camera side, it would take an M48 T adapter directly if desired, and it provides for direct 2" filters to be installed on the camera side of the flattener) as it could be directly screwed onto the focusing barrel providing (1) full frame imaging without vignetting (2)  a more solid connection minimizing flexure . . . this is an alternative to using the 2" compression fitting . . .

The suggestion is for those who image, not those who do visual.  I prefer a more solid fitting (screwed on) verses a compression fitting in my imaging train.  I hope that clarifies my previous statement. Trios702 , I use the AT92 strictly for imaging, so a diagonal is moot for me. 

Edited by Digipainter, 06 March 2020 - 11:44 PM.

#1211 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:45 PM

see previous answer

#1212 scooke

scooke

Mariner 2

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

I use the TSFlat2 threaded into a diagonal.  It threads into the nosepiece of the diagonal and is inserted into the focuser so normal backfocus and use with eyepieces.  The Stellarvue field flattener does thread onto the focuser but I use it with a camera, not a diagonal.

• Sarkikos likes this

#1213 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:58 AM

Does anyone have any imaging examples using the AT92 with the Stellarvue 2.5" large corrector? 

• elmiko likes this

#1214 WillieM96

WillieM96

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:29 AM

I feel like an idiot right now, so I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before.  My scope just arrived (along with clouds) and I'm trying to connect my Orion 50 mm guide scope to the AT92.  None of the dovetail bases or rings will work with the screws on the scope. Is there a ring kit I can get to make connection more simple?

Would this handlebar bracket from William Optics work?

Edited by WillieM96, 17 March 2020 - 11:34 AM.

#1215 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

Depends on what kind of stalk the guide scope has. Can you post pictures?

#1216 WillieM96

WillieM96

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

Depends on what kind of stalk the guide scope has. Can you post pictures?

I’m away from home at the moment but my mounting rings and dovetail for the Guide scope look identical to the William Optics rings and dovetail.  The only thing I don’t know is if that dovetail that slides into the handlebar is a standard design or does each company have a different angle to that trapezoidal dovetail the rings are connected to. 

#1217 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:27 PM

I think that the Orion guide scope has what they call a Vixen type dovetail. 

Not sure though. 

#1218 WillieM96

WillieM96

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

If anyone is curious, I did end up buying the handlebar bracket from William Optics and it screws into the AT92's rings perfectly.  It REALLY makes handling the scope easier and a standard vixen style dovetail for guidescope rings fits perfectly (the bottom of the opening is about 34 mm across).  

• Sarkikos, elmiko, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#1219 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:02 PM

If anyone is curious, I did end up buying the handlebar bracket from William Optics and it screws into the AT92's rings perfectly.  It REALLY makes handling the scope easier and a standard vixen style dovetail for guidescope rings fits perfectly (the bottom of the opening is about 34 mm across).  

That is an amazing looking handle, and would certainly make it easier to handle this stout scope. 

• WillieM96 likes this

#1220 jtpowers

jtpowers

more clever in the first place

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

Soon to be AT92 owner here! Just completed my order :)

• eros312, scooke, elmiko and 2 others like this

#1221 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

A couple of updates that may help others interested in the AT92.

1. I got the WO 120mm Saddle Handle Bar. Fits the AT92 nicely and makes it much easier to handle. Also works perfectly for my ASI mini guider for imaging. See image below.

2. There is very little information on suitable flatteners for the AT92. I purchased the TSFLAT2 flattener from TS to try it out. It works reasonably well. I did not see much difference visually but that was based on a quick view on a very poor evening - will do another comparison later. For imaging it did flatten the field a bit. Stars were pretty good up to APS-C size. It even covered my full frame sensor although stars were not perfect in the very edges. There was no indication of tilt - the stars were just not perfect. Images to follow.

Overall really enjoying this OTA. Visually I could see shadings in Venus's clouds which was fun. Contrast was surprisingly very close to my 76DCU (now sold) but the image was not as steady in below average seeing. I think that is due to the larger aperture.

IMG_0253.jpg

• Jaimo!, Sarkikos, eros312 and 4 others like this

#1222 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:08 PM

Just got back in from observing the Moon. Clouds limited my session to 30min. But the views were stunning. I was at 300x and the image looked tack sharp, contrasty and three dimensional with the AT92. The air was a little more steady than the last time I was out with the scope and what a difference that made... 

• Don W, BravoFoxtrot and Tyson M like this

#1223 jprideaux

jprideaux

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

What eye-piece / Barlow combination did you use to get it to 300x?

#1224 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

I used a ES 3x focal extender and a Skywatcher 5mm EP.

#1225 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:45 AM

You must have young eyes. I had my Stowaway out last night along with my Stellarvue 80 Access (great scope) on the moon when it was directly overhead and along with my new Tak prism diagonal (love it) Toe 3.3 eyepiece 185x on the Stowaway and 169x on the Access is about as high as I want to go. Floaters being the issue not the scopes. I was originally thinking of perhaps getting the 2.5 Toe eyepeice to really ramp it up but that was the young kid in me thinking that way from my 1967 Tasco 60mm 600x days ☺. Now I thinking like the old geezer I am and the Toe 4 mm will be my next purchase. Wonderful eyepieces consistent edge to edge no refocusing required, ideal for a non tracking  mount. Congrats to all of you enjoying your AT92's.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics