•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The AT92

• Please log in to reply
1255 replies to this topic

#101 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: AZ/WI

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Just gonna go ahead and uh bump this thread real quick... would love to hear how the reworked optics are coming.

Jay, reading of your experience with the Borg, I was about to ask if you were still considering the AT92. :-)

Still have mine on order, and am hoping for an update as well.  My main concern is that they get things right, so a bit of a delay is not that big a deal.  

Alex

I'm really curious about the weight honestly! Once Mike clears the optics I wouldn't worry too much about them. If it can be reduced to a low weight, only a little more than the 90FL, then it might be the better scope.

Agreed. Hoping the weight comes in less than or at least close to my TV-85.  

Alex

#102 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

More silence from Mike (in the AT102ED thread too)... wonder what's up. Maybe he's been on vacation since Christmas! I wish I still was...

Edited by jay.i, 24 January 2018 - 09:12 PM.

#103 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hmmm, it's been I think two months now since there's been any more news from our sponsor. Hoping everything is going ok. 

Alex

#104 Fibble

Fibble

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE PA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

Got on the list for this scope after thinking an 80mm scope was the right size.  Just can't get away from maximum aperture while maintaining a "grab-n-go" sized scope.  Hopefully we'll be able to test them out in March!

#105 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I managed to get Mike to comment on this. https://www.cloudyni...q/#entry8400586

They are finishing up the optics currently. Looking like 1st quarter of 2018 still.

• Fibble likes this

#106 Fibble

Fibble

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

I managed to get Mike to comment on this. https://www.cloudyni...q/#entry8400586

They are finishing up the optics currently. Looking like 1st quarter of 2018 still.

Good to know.  Thanks for passing on the information.  I see you have the Stellarvue M2C.  I'm interested in this mount for the AT92.  Are you happy with it?

#107 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

Good to know.  Thanks for passing on the information.  I see you have the Stellarvue M2C.  I'm interested in this mount for the AT92.  Are you happy with it?

I was a little fussy with it at first because I wasn't used to the tension knobs moving the axes directly (was using an AYO II) and I had to learn how to balance it properly. After about an hour of cumulative use though, I figured out the balance midpoint for my typical eyepieces, and the tension knobs have not loosened up but they aren't stiff or hard to turn now. I actually quite like the mount; it's incredibly smooth compared to my UniStar Deluxe, which people love to recommend. I think the M2C would be ideal for the AT92, absolutely. It works great with my TV-85.

#108 Fibble

Fibble

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

I was a little fussy with it at first because I wasn't used to the tension knobs moving the axes directly (was using an AYO II) and I had to learn how to balance it properly. After about an hour of cumulative use though, I figured out the balance midpoint for my typical eyepieces, and the tension knobs have not loosened up but they aren't stiff or hard to turn now. I actually quite like the mount; it's incredibly smooth compared to my UniStar Deluxe, which people love to recommend. I think the M2C would be ideal for the AT92, absolutely. It works great with my TV-85.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm also thinking of the Losmandy AZ8 so I could use another scope at the same time, but they seem to be in very tight supply.

#109 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm also thinking of the Losmandy AZ8 so I could use another scope at the same time, but they seem to be in very tight supply.

You might inquire about just getting an AZ8 mount head and buying your own tripod for it. That's what I did when I found out that getting parts for the Losmandy tripod was where the big holdup was. Not sure if that is still the case but worth looking into.

Edited by mogur, 15 February 2018 - 09:08 PM.

• Fibble likes this

#110 Fibble

Fibble

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Thanks mogur-I think I did see one site with just the mount, but it might be gone now.  I was a little slow figuring that out. I have some time so maybe I’ll get one by the time the scope is available.  Seems like all the stuff I like is back ordered, or not available yet

#111 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

Just ordered the At92 I heard mid March. Can anyone elaborate? Will be my first triplet. Really happy with my other two At Scopes. This one will hopefully be that much better!

#112 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

Just ordered the At92 I heard mid March. Can anyone elaborate? Will be my first triplet. Really happy with my other two At Scopes. This one will hopefully be that much better!

I called a week or two ago, and they said that they were "putting the finishing touches" on the scopes, whatever that means. They did say that it would take a month or so from when they get notice of shipment, to when they could ship to us.  At that time they did not have a date. So every day that goes by without word, I assume at least another month. Have had one on order since August. At this rate I may get the call from Astro-Physics first. :-)

Alex

• Tyson M, Glass Man and jay.i like this

#113 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

I called a week or two ago, and they said that they were "putting the finishing touches" on the scopes, whatever that means. They did say that it would take a month or so from when they get notice of shipment, to when they could ship to us.  At that time they did not have a date. So every day that goes by without word, I assume at least another month. Have had one on order since August. At this rate I may get the call from Astro-Physics first. :-)

Alex

Good things come to those who wait. grin.gif

Curious to hear reports on this scope once in people's hands.

• Aleko likes this

#114 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

How much does the AT92 cost?

#115 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

How much does the AT92 cost?

About a 40XW, 30XW, plus a 12.5 Docter. :-). Maybe a tad less. Or $1795.  

Edited by Aleko, 24 February 2018 - 04:09 PM.

• jay.i likes this

#116 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

If you are a CN member that’s worth a 5% discount. Just mention when you order to get the 5%.
  • dagadget likes this

#117 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the update. I didn't mention the cn  member. I forgot about that. Better fix that. 90.00 discount.

#118 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Call them and let them know.

#119 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Don w I emailed them and let them know.

#120 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Bump! Would love to learn more about this - any dates to report?

Edited by rustynpp, 16 March 2018 - 12:50 AM.

#121 sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesota / United Arab Emirates

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

Will it be binoviewer friendly, even without the removable section the TMB 92 had?

Shawn

#122 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

I was really excited about this when announced, and placed my order back in August, thinking perfect travel scope. But as the makers have been ironing out the wrinkles, I've now become a lot more comfortable traveling with my 4-inch refractor, and enjoying its great views. Have been wondering of late whether or not to just move on. Either way, I hope they get things right soon and have a great product to offer.   

Alex

#123 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Getting awfully close to the end of Q1, hoping Mike and crew can deliver. It's looking like they won't, unfortunately. I'm really curious to hear how these perform but the silence makes me worry just a little.

Alex, you have to get one so you can tell me how it compares to the TV-85!! wink.gif

• Aleko and 6opuc9 like this

#124 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

Perhaps some good news for those considering a pre-order - I reached out to astronomics about remaining availability in their initial production run and was given this answer:

"We will have plenty in stock with this initial run and you can place an order now and no charge is done till it is ready to ship."

Edit: Was also just told "we are still looking at a first quarter availability".

Edited by rustynpp, 16 March 2018 - 10:22 AM.

#125 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

I was really excited about this when announced, and placed my order back in August, thinking perfect travel scope. But as the makers have been ironing out the wrinkles, I've now become a lot more comfortable traveling with my 4-inch refractor, and enjoying its great views. Have been wondering of late whether or not to just move on. Either way, I hope they get things right soon and have a great product to offer.   

Alex

If you’re comfortable with the 4” you should just enjoy the additional aperture it provides. I think the main advantage of a 90 mm scope is mainly compactness. 

Patrick

• Aleko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics