•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The AT92

• Please log in to reply
1270 replies to this topic

#1251 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Chaz!

#1252 StarAlert

StarAlert

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

Has anyone tried using the Starizona APEX ED 0.65x reducer/flattener with the AT92?

#1253 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Has anyone tried using the Starizona APEX ED 0.65x reducer/flattener with the AT92?

https://www.cloudyni...ope/?p=10201759

• StarAlert likes this

#1254 StarAlert

StarAlert

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:05 PM

That is very helpful. Thanks! I’m looking for something to do EAA with and I think the AT92 with an Apex ED would be a nice setup. 

#1255 wsbrown

wsbrown

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:10 PM

That is very helpful. Thanks! I’m looking for something to do EAA with and I think the AT92 with an Apex ED would be a nice setup. 

I use the Apex ED-L with my AT92. I wrote Starizona before ordering because I had a longer FL scope I wanted to use the Apex with as well and wanted to make sure the L worked for the 506mm FL AT92. They advised that it would be fine and it has performed well.

• elmiko likes this

#1256 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

Hi all

I have a AT92 on the dock waiting for customs to clear it.

I take it no one has tried the ASTRO-TECH 2" FIELD FLATTENER.

Any reason this has not been suggested ?

Will be using this with a canon 60d astro mod camera.

Thanks

Take care

Steve

• elmiko likes this

#1257 HIbill

HIbill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawaii

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

Mechanically, I’ve succeeded in eliminating the compression clamp and can now attach a camera to the AT92 entirely using threaded attachments.
Here are the steps (see attached image).

1. Remove these two components from the draw tube. One (the outer one) uses philips head screws, the other flathead screws to secure these threaded-in components.

2. Buy and install this Stellarvue 63 mm Male to 48 mm Male/Female Adapter

3. Remove the AT2FF’s nosepiece and screw it into the Stellarvue adapter

4. These are the 40mm (2 x 20mm) extension tubes my camera needs to reach the required 57mm +/- distance between the back edge of the AT2FF and camera chip. (My ZWO ASI071MC’s chip is set back 17.5mm.)

5. This was just a rough way for me to assure that with all the part swapping I did I could still reach focus. (I won’t have clear skies till Monday night for confirmation.) It was 6.5” from the front edge of the draw tube to the front edge of my camera body before the swap and I was able to extend the draw tube (with some spare capacity) to that distance after the swap.

This is all well and good but the real deal is, will it solve the one-sided coma my images displayed after I added the AT2FF to my mix.

- Avi

#1258 BRIMoPho

BRIMoPho

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Queen Creek, AZ

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

After a week, I was finally able to get my AT92 up last night for it's first light and testing, which went well I suppose. For this I was using:

Nikon D750 (modified)

AT92

AT2FF flattener

EQ6R-Pro

no filters

1. Right out of the box I wasn't happy with the rings, at best they were flush with the hood (if not lower,) which made putting a new foot on impractical.  However, I had some 1/4" aluminum stock left over from a previous project and fabricated a pair of standoffs which gave me the clearance I needed.  I like it better than stock, it gave me better contact to the telescope and an additional inch of foot towards the camera side.  For the record, the pieces are 3" x 25/32" with pass-through holes, (not tapped,) and secured on both ends as well as the center with M6 cap and socket head screws.

2. My primary astro camera is currently a modified Nikon D750 and I'm using an AT2FF and I knew it was going to crop; but, I wasn't expecting to lose 45% of my pixels.  This is a familiar topic it seems, and the flattener for the Skywatcher Espirit 100 sounds like a possible solution. In the meantime I'm going to try one of my (unmodified) D500's next and see how that fares. 

3.  I'm at the standard 55m backfocus for a DSLR; but, aberration inspector is indicating I need a little more space and I have a set of spacer rings on order.  I'm hoping I don't need much so we'll see how far 1.8mm take me; but, it would be great to see a bigger picture to gauge how it is further out.

4. Like a bunch of people, I added a WO 120mm handle.  I originally bought it because it fits into my plans for guiding here in a few months, and I didn't realize how utilitarian it actually is.  Definitely recommend.

It's looking awful cloudy out there right now, so my next opportunity is probably a couple of days away.

i-dDLCf73-S.jpg

• elmiko and j-d-b like this

#1259 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:47 AM

I'm at 63 mm backspace with the same scope and the Zwo 071 mcpro, which is a crop sensor, using the AT2FF .I would think you need more backspace.

#1260 HIbill

HIbill

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

More backspace gives me room for celestron OAG I hope.
unrelated, do you think it’s safe to put a small bag of desiccant in the focuser tube to reduce risk of fungus? I am in humid environment.

#1261 BRIMoPho

BRIMoPho

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Queen Creek, AZ

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:33 PM

First light shot and aberration mosiac, uncropped size is 3968 x 2640, no correction frames.  Any aesthetic issues are due to my somewhat quick stacking and slight over processing, I thought it came out fairly well for a FL though.

Even at a centered square crop, the stars are elongated and heading out from center so I'm inferring I might need a little more backfocus than the smaller spacer rings I have coming.  Fortunately, I have a 5mm extension that I almost forgot about so all I need at the moment is for the clouds to clear.

i-LwhRmpP-M.jpg

i-GW7gLv5-M.jpg

• elmiko likes this

#1262 Number_5

Number_5

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:26 PM

I’ve been agonizing which thread to post this question since I’m new here. I’m also just starting out in this hobby, I mean just. So I’m looking for my first set up for AP. There is a SW EQ6-R on the way, should be here by the end of the week. 

This is my question; is the AT92 too advanced a scope for a beginner like me, or would it be a good scope to jump into the hobby? I don’t have a dedicated camera, so I would be using the OTA to define how the rest of the equipment is acquired (other than the mount). 

Apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread. 

#1263 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:52 PM

Like yes, it is not right for you. The AT92 is not a beginners scope. It is designed for doing AP work, if you are new to the hobby then spend a year or so doing visual work and familiarizing yourself with the sky and your current equipment. While it is a fine scope, it is not a beginners instrument. It would kind of like buying a Formula 1 car to learn how to drive in. 

Edited by rkaufmann87, 10 February 2021 - 09:53 PM.

#1264 BigBanger

BigBanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:10 AM

I’ve been agonizing which thread to post this question since I’m new here. I’m also just starting out in this hobby, I mean just. So I’m looking for my first set up for AP. There is a SW EQ6-R on the way, should be here by the end of the week. 

This is my question; is the AT92 too advanced a scope for a beginner like me, or would it be a good scope to jump into the hobby? I don’t have a dedicated camera, so I would be using the OTA to define how the rest of the equipment is acquired (other than the mount). 

rkaufmann87 is right, spend some time learning what's up in the sky and how to operate a telescope for visual use, but if you insist on jumping in to the deep end of the pool . . . . .

A more appropriate Cloudy Night forum would be "Beginning Deep Sky Imaging".

As for the AT92, it is too advanced for a nubie because it requires the addition of a field flattener and spacers for best results. I would recommend you start with a telescope that has an integrated field flattener and requires no spacers. A popular scope with that design is the William Optics Redcat.

https://agenaastro.c...ope-red-1x.html

It is designed for astrophotography but if you want to use it visually too, make sure to get its matching diagonal and at least one eyepiece.

If you want a slightly bigger scope there's this model. (I have one and love it.)

https://agenaastro.c...ota-261000.html

Its one drawback is it can't be used visually due to not enough back space to accommodate a diagonal and eyepiece. It really was designed from the ground up to only do astrophotography.

You didn't ask, but here's the camera I would buy. It's a one-shot-color camera (just like your smartphone, DSLR, etc.), hopefully not break the bank, and you may never out grow it.

https://agenaastro.c...ing-camera.html

Good luck!

Edited by BigBanger, 11 February 2021 - 04:34 AM.

• Number_5 likes this

#1265 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:40 AM

It depends on budget and willingness to work with a scope. It is a fast triplet which needs to be configured with a reducer / reducer+ flattener at correct spacing, depending on camera chosen, to provide a flat field for imaging. Spacing is not hard to achieve, but it takes trial and error.

It also depends on your commitment. If you are truly in it for the long run, expensive is the new cheap, meaning, buy once and get it right, as opposed to following a slower - but overall more expensive - upgrade path.

Your mount is certainly capable to accept this scope, but for imaging, you will also need a guide scope and guide camera besides the main camera. You also need to decide how complicated or easy you want things to be. If for example, you stick to ZWO hardware, you can get the ZWO ASIAir Pro and do imaging and everything needed from your tablet, including guiding, filter changes, focusing, darks, flats and bias.

Using a laptop, means using any of a large variety of capture software, that can also operate any autofocuser, filter wheel etc, permitting you to use any brand of accessories you want. But, you now have a laptop which you also need to power up, and speaking of which, you also need to consider how you will power up all your gear. If at home, regulated power supply adapter a definite yes yes. In the field, many options from say Celestron Power Banks (what I use) or solutions involving marine batteries (most suited to task).

With this scope, you will need to consider the focal length - native FL if you use a flattener or reduced if you use a reducer, and choose a camera that gives you the correct sampling. Once the pixel size of the camera is determined, your options are to go OCS (color) or Mono and depending on budget, the real estate of the imaging chip - bigger =  wider FOV.

And of course, you also need to consider appropriate filters, be it OCS or Mono.

-------------

Scope is the least of your concern given everything else you need to built around it. The focal length is "relatively" short which makes imaging easier. But bringing it all together demands more money and plenty of time, possibly some frustrations along the way. However, with the help of the community, you will avoid many pitfalls and soon be on your way to capturing data that you can post process.

• eros312 and Number_5 like this

#1266 BigBanger

BigBanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:54 AM

It depends on budget and willingness to work with a scope. It is a fast triplet which needs to be configured with a reducer / reducer+ flattener at correct spacing, depending on camera chosen, to provide a flat field for imaging. Spacing is not hard to achieve, but it takes trial and error.

It also depends on your commitment. If you are truly in it for the long run, expensive is the new cheap, meaning, buy once and get it right, as opposed to following a slower - but overall more expensive - upgrade path.

Your mount is certainly capable to accept this scope, but for imaging, you will also need a guide scope and guide camera besides the main camera. You also need to decide how complicated or easy you want things to be. If for example, you stick to ZWO hardware, you can get the ZWO ASIAir Pro and do imaging and everything needed from your tablet, including guiding, filter changes, focusing, darks, flats and bias.

Using a laptop, means using any of a large variety of capture software, that can also operate any autofocuser, filter wheel etc, permitting you to use any brand of accessories you want. But, you now have a laptop which you also need to power up, and speaking of which, you also need to consider how you will power up all your gear. If at home, regulated power supply adapter a definite yes yes. In the field, many options from say Celestron Power Banks (what I use) or solutions involving marine batteries (most suited to task).

With this scope, you will need to consider the focal length - native FL if you use a flattener or reduced if you use a reducer, and choose a camera that gives you the correct sampling. Once the pixel size of the camera is determined, your options are to go OCS (color) or Mono and depending on budget, the real estate of the imaging chip - bigger =  wider FOV.

And of course, you also need to consider appropriate filters, be it OCS or Mono.

-------------

Scope is the least of your concern given everything else you need to built around it. The focal length is "relatively" short which makes imaging easier. But bringing it all together demands more money and plenty of time, possibly some frustrations along the way. However, with the help of the community, you will avoid many pitfalls and soon be on your way to capturing data that you can post process.

Nicknacknock, you've nicely summarized many of the considerations and paths one can take in this hobby, but you've also presented a brief lesson on quantum mechanics to someone just starting a first course in general physics.

The best advice is to have Number 5 learn the sky, get handy with operating a scope and mount while reading up and slowly easing into astrophotography; short focal length scope, large pixel OSC camera, etc. Mono/ filters, ASIAIR is getting quite advanced.

• nicknacknock and Number_5 like this

#1267 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:58 AM

This hobby does require some reading and effort, which Number 5 indicates he is willing to do.

The scope WILL do just fine, his mount WILL perform just fine and he does specify that he will build around the scope (and mount), so some guidance is needed ;)

• BigBanger and Number_5 like this

#1268 Number_5

Number_5

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

Sorry guys, I didn’t mean to derail this great thread. 

I want to specify that I am not a newbie to visual astronomy, and have dabbled a bit in AP with my f/10 6” SCT, Nikon DSLR and using focal reducers for that set up. I just know how difficult good AP can be once you dive in fully. My goal was to find a scope I could grow into, but also enjoy while I’m doing it and not purchase something that will only frustrate me. 

I thought the AT92 could be that middle ground and provide years of long term service, but also serve as something small enough not to be intimidating. 

Anyway, I’d like to apologize to taking this thread too far off topic. 

#1269 HIbill

HIbill

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

There is no reason the AT92 is not a good starting scope IF the owner can afford it AND acquires technical knowledge quickly without giving up easily. Forums like this make it even more possible. The AT92 comes with no instruction manual, the owner must figure out all the rest. The caution I would have is that the cost of the scope is probably only 20-25% of what you’ll end up spending in equipment expenditures if you do visual and AP.
  • Number_5 likes this

#1270 Number_5

Number_5

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

Just as an update I ended up purchasing the AT92 and I’m very excited. Not worried at all about growing into this scope, I’ve had enough experience in general to work my way through. But this thread, and the very good thread created by Chris are great roadmaps. 

• eros312 and elmiko like this

#1271 wsbrown

wsbrown

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:10 PM

I have recently changed my flattener/reducer for my AT92. I am very pleased with the William Optics 6AIII. It was too difficult to get good stars with the Apex using an APS-C sized sensor. For those interested, I used a Stellarvue M68 to M63 adapter and the 6AIII threads right on. Using a DSLR, I have settled on a backspacing of 8 on the adjustments on the flattener. This combo works great for imaging.

Stellarvue adapter:

https://www.stellarv...to-female-63mm/

My last image with this setup:

https://www.astrobin...25w3qo/?nc=user

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics