•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Introducing StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget

astrophotography imaging planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kuwait

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

I'm glad to announce StellarMate, an Internet-of-Things astrophotography gadget!

With StellarMate, you can control everything from a lone mount, to a complete observatory. It comes free with a complete astrophotography tool: Ekos. There are no special licenses, hidden costs, or 10 editions to select from. It's designed to be easy to use with extensive documentation and online video tutorials.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UhCcYBsbBvg

And with support for Windows, MacOS, and Linux, you get to choose your favorite platform to perform your control and astrophotography tasks. Use mobile apps, including KStars Lite and SkySafari on Android/iOS to control your equipment. Use StellarMate anywhere, on the field, in your observatory, at home!

StellarMate is now offered at a very competitive price of $149.

• Oleg Astro, rockstarbill, Juicy6 and 2 others like this

#2 Juicy6

Juicy6

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Looks promising! Waiting for first reviews...

#3 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albufeira, Portugal

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:24 AM

Looks promising! Waiting for first reviews...

You can watch its videos on the channel Stellar Mate.

#4 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

KStars, which is shipped with StellarMate, has now a new release v2.8.0 which fixes a few bugs and introduced a couple of features. KStars is also available for download on all major platforms.

• gdd and budman1961 like this

#5 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

It appears to me, that Stellarmate is a value added wrapper, around kstars/ekos on a Raspberry Pi3 as a bundles solution. I've been using Kstars/Ekos on my mac, and would be interested in trying stellarmate, particularly with the Kstars Lite Android app (waiting on an IOS port of the app).

Is the bundled package the only way to acquire Stellarmate? or, can we order the image as a download/email delivery, if we already have the Raspberry Pi device? Realizing that this is a for-profit value added package, I would expect a price point for the sw, as opposed to a free download like Kstars.

#6 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

It appears to me, that Stellarmate is a value added wrapper, around kstars/ekos on a Raspberry Pi3 as a bundles solution. I've been using Kstars/Ekos on my mac, and would be interested in trying stellarmate, particularly with the Kstars Lite Android app (waiting on an IOS port of the app).

Is the bundled package the only way to acquire Stellarmate? or, can we order the image as a download/email delivery, if we already have the Raspberry Pi device? Realizing that this is a for-profit value added package, I would expect a price point for the sw, as opposed to a free download like Kstars.

We recently added the option to purchase StellarMate OS, which is the complete image of StellarMate that you can download and burn to an SD card for use in RPI3 if you already one and do not want to get the StellarMate gadget itself. It certainly provides benefits to end users who do want to fiddle around with setting up a complete complex system on RPI3 plus the other tools we provide exclusively for StellarMate such as StellarMate Serial Port Assistant tool.

#7 Tsarbomba

Tsarbomba

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

I have just ordered a unit, and look forward to using Stellar Mate.

Jasem, I watched your Ekos presentation on the Astro Imaging Channel, and that's what sold me!

#8 StrStrck

StrStrck

Viking 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Will it automatically handle focus, and communicate with a motorfucuser over the course of a night, including controlling filter wheel (where filters may not be parfocal)?

Edited by StrStrck, 03 December 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#9 The Mad One

The Mad One

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

Considering an ODROID-XU4 device or similar for my observatory, this one has USB 3 connectivity and I route all of my USB2 & USB3 devices & cameras through a couple of USB 3 Powered hubs to the USB 3 connections on the PC currently in use in the Observatory.  This particular model has as mentioned has the USB 3 connections as well as everything else needed to make it into a neat little Pi type device, sooo...  Does the StellarMate OS have support for USB 3?  I know the StellarMate device does not have USB 3 connectivity, just up to USB2, but this question is on the OS only not the whole device.

Thanks!

Mark

www.thestardeckobservatory.com

#10 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

Hi,

Considering an ODROID-XU4 device or similar for my observatory, this one has USB 3 connectivity and I route all of my USB2 & USB3 devices & cameras through a couple of USB 3 Powered hubs to the USB 3 connections on the PC currently in use in the Observatory. This particular model has as mentioned has the USB 3 connections as well as everything else needed to make it into a neat little Pi type device, sooo... Does the StellarMate OS have support for USB 3? I know the StellarMate device does not have USB 3 connectivity, just up to USB2, but this question is on the OS only not the whole device.

Thanks!

Mark

www.thestardeckobservatory.com

USB3 is the only thing holding me back as well. I’m going to attempt setting up EKOS on my hardware with my existing Mac laptop, but would prefer a dedicated computer. I have two ZWO cameras Asi1600mm-c and asi224mc that have traditionally benefited from USB3, and have had issues with stability and bandwidth on USB2.

#11 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

USB3 is the only thing holding me back as well. I’m going to attempt setting up EKOS on my hardware with my existing Mac laptop, but would prefer a dedicated computer. I have two ZWO cameras Asi1600mm-c and asi224mc that have traditionally benefited from USB3, and have had issues with stability and bandwidth on USB2.

I wonder if a USB3 version will become available.  It sounds like a great product otherwise.

How about it StellarMate?  Any plans for updating the hardware?

#12 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

The hardware is Raspberry PI, and they have said they're not updating to USB 3 because it increases the cost of the board, and creates the need to redesign the board somewhat. 

Part of the PI mission is to keep costs cheap.  So unless Stellarmate adopts a different system, we'll be stuck with USB2.

#13 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

I am confused as to exactly what this does.  I came across this device on a Google Search.  Can this be used to record video from a webcam without a computer?  I don't own a go-to telescope, but was thinking about getting something like a 90SLT.  It would be nice if I didn't have to bring a laptop to use a webcam for planetary imaging though.

#14 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

Yes, this replaces your laptop.
  • Nicole Sharp likes this

#15 cheesified

cheesified

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

I am looking at this for DSLR photography. Is there any more info on Stellarmate, and the setup/equipment required..?

• Cochise likes this

#16 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

I am looking at this for DSLR photography. Is there any more info on Stellarmate, and the setup/equipment required..?

Stellarmate is a standalone Raspberry Pi device that's running a preinstalled version of KStars/EKOS imaging platform. You can find the astronomy equipment it supports by looking at the hardware pages of Indilib.org, which is the driver system that EKOS is based on. There's a good amount of support information at Stellarmate.com as well.

#17 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hello;

I’m interested in your system it seems to have functionalities that ASIAIR lacks, is StellarMate OS able to fully function on the ASIAIR unit? The units appear to be identical in built wouldn’t be surprised if the only difference is the OS.

#18 Hilmi

Hilmi

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

Hello;

I’m interested in your system it seems to have functionalities that ASIAIR lacks, is StellarMate OS able to fully function on the ASIAIR unit? The units appear to be identical in built wouldn’t be surprised if the only difference is the OS.

Hi,

I am both an acquaintance of the Jasem who is the main developer behind stellarmate and a dealer for ZWO.I have a stellarmate unit I have been fiddling around with over here. It is an open source software package. So ZWO took the source code and customized it a bit. As far as a normal user is concerned here are the main differences:

• Stellarmate is supported directly by the main software developer, you are getting the latest updates and are not worried that a forked version of the software will loose out on functionality. Also Jasem has created a cloud service, allowing you to control your entire observatory over the internet remotely using stellarmate. Also, Jasem has been great at giving support when there are issues and it seems he is working on this project day and night.
  • ASI Air has comes with a 12V to 5V adapter which is great for imaging while away from mains power. Also they have a very nice Android App for controlling their software using your tablet or mobile phone vs. the stellarmate solution which is a VNC connection (like using teamviewer) or the cloud based service which doesnt work if you don't have internet access.

So as you can see, both have their advantages. You pick the one that suites your needs.I can't recommend one over the other, I really feel it is a personal choice. I guess if you are interested in remote operation over the internet the cloud service is hard to beat. If you want a slick application to control your device while out camping ASI Air is great. I have not yet tried ASI air myself, I have actually only messed around with stellarmate. However, their website seems to imply that their version only supports ZWO cameras and DSLRs. I don't know if this is the case, as I don't see how you couldn't simply install the INDI drivers for other cameras yourself.

I hope this helps people out there understand the differences between the two devices.

Edited by Hilmi, 07 November 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#19 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

So this is what I have been looking for. My initial thought was to use Stellarium with long powered USB cables for both control and pulling video for astrophotography. I have seen Raspberry Pi devices set up with Virtualhere to simply enable remote control via WiFi on my laptop. Although I am not afraid of computers, I am not a programmer either, so a packaged unit has it's appeal.

I am assuming with this setup that I would still use the HC to align, or can I use Skyportal or Safari to perform alignment with my starsense?

I am running an 8SE with starsense, thoughts?

#20 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Mariner 2

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

Jasem, I saw you on the astroimaging channel. I've been pursaudaded to leave windows and I've installed linux. I picked up a pi but  it's only  USB 2.0   (I have a loaded obsy)  and use large cameras with 72mb subs and they want USB 3.0   = (

so I've been forced to change my nuc over to linux. So far I like it. (steep learning curve) but I've come to a standstill. I can't seem to connect to my mount all the time.  (Mach1).  I believe I need to have static paths to ports. (USB etc).
Is there anything like serial assistant than will run on Linux installs?  I see the button on Kstars/ekos but clicking it doesn't do anything.  I'm not well versed enough in linux to solve the problem.  I know my mount is on com5 and my dome shows up as Arduino on Com11.  But how to set them to these perminently?

Stellarmate i awesome and the serial port assistant!   but I need a nuc with 3.0

Edited by Ron in Michigan, 09 March 2019 - 12:03 PM.

• highkamp likes this

#21 Dovakun

Dovakun

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

Can the StellarMate do autostretching? I really like the interface and functions of the ZWO ASIAIR but my guide camera is an Orion SSAG. 

#22 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

Can the StellarMate do autostretching? I really like the interface and functions of the ZWO ASIAIR but my guide camera is an Orion SSAG. 

Yes, it does in the EKOS interface when taking or previewing images. That's how you view what your StellarMate is doing, and it can be either on a Remote Desktop, or a mobile device through a web interface.

#23 phillipsrs

phillipsrs

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

Hi Jasem,

Now that Raspi Pi 4B is released the PI has (2) USB-3 ports / Bluetooth / Wifi 2.4 & 5g

Wondering if you already porting your system to the PI4 ?

Regards,

#24 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Hi Jasem,

Now that Raspi Pi 4B is released the PI has (2) USB-3 ports / Bluetooth / Wifi 2.4 & 5g

Wondering if you already porting your system to the PI4 ?

Regards,

Yes they have.   And just announced a few days ago. 

Check out the newest info on the INDI forum:  https://indilib.org/...?start=84#41640

#25 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

Two questions:

1. Can I do EAA with this unit?

2. Does it support the Celestron Autofocus?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics