•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ukraine parallelogram mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fishhuntmike

fishhuntmike

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I recently received  my first binocular mount.  I previously tried to get a Uni-mount but found out they no longer made mounts anymore.  Searching for options i found one on ebay from the Ukraine for just under $200.  The mount is available at astrodevices.net.  The one i purchased is called the Parallelgram Standard II Pro.

For about two years now i have been using my 16x70 binoculars without a mount, usually laying back in a chair and bracing my elbows against the chair and pinning my forehead against the binos.  For terrestrial viewing i would brace against whatever i could find available.  That being said i have been pleased with my binoculars and have found i use them more often than my telescopes or spotting scopes.  I know i have read many many people say you must use a mount for large binoculars but i just shrugged it off because i was pleased with my binocular performance despite being a little jiggly.

BOY I WAS WRONG!!!!!

I had no idea how much better strain free, fatigue free, hands free, completely relaxed bino viewing could be!  I had no idea how much more detail i could see this way verses what i considered fine  viewing without a binomount.  This is a brand new experience for me and i love it.  Im also loving my new 18x70s.  Using the bino mount for terrestrial viewing is superior in numerous ways than using a spotting scope on a tripod.  Ive had several high quality spotting scopes and have been using them for over 25 years on tripods mostly bird watching and hunting.  The experience is not comparable to reclining in a comfortable chair, chilling out, head supported, and just bringing the big binos up to my eyes pointing in the direction of where i want to look and letting go!  The same goes for the nighttime even more.  Im not sure how exploring the universe could be any better than this.  Im sold.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these type mounts, i can say if you tried one you will want one because until you try it you wont know what you are missing.

Back to the mount.  The mount i purchased is good quality, extremely sturdy, and well worth the 200 bucks in my opinion.  The mount performs without any problems .  I have no other parallelogram mount experience, but i can say it  effortly supports my 18x70s with 2 5# weights attached and should be able to handle a heavier bino.  I cant find anything wrong with it and would hesitate buying another if i didnt have one.

mike

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by fishhuntmike, 25 July 2017 - 07:46 PM.

• Uwe Pilz, OleCuss and trener like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yep, I got one of those about a year ago. Mine shipped out of Ukraine. They are extremely robust and sturdy. It's well over-spec'd for my Lunt MS 10X50's but it's steady as a rock. Hope you continue to enjoy yours.

#3 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:30 AM

I absolutely love p-mounts. Here is a little trick just in case you have not already discovered it.

Instead of trying to scoot the chair around to the next object you want to observer, simply stand up (that is good to keep the blood flowing) and move the chair out of the way. Next, postisiin the binoculars roughly to where the need too be pointed. No need to be exact, simply get them in the general area and at the right height. Lastly put the chair behind them in so it is far enough from the eyepieces to accommodate the space you head occupies. Move them up and then sit down. With a little practice you get to the point where you dont need to adjust the chair once the chosen object is centered.

That really helps take the "fussiness" out of using a p-mount that some don't like.

#4 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: European Union

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

@fishhuntmike, they are not russian, they are from Ukraine. Very good p-mount. What tripod do you use with them?

Edited by trener, 25 July 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#5 fishhuntmike

fishhuntmike

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Trener thanks for the clarification.  Gitzo 224.

#6 fjnlsa11

fjnlsa11

Mariner 2

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Nice setup.  I was able to get a custom made tripod adapter from Astrodevices  

He is a vendor listed on CN, member name: Valentin G

#7 dgoldb

dgoldb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the review.  Anyone know how these stack up to the UA mounts?  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics